Pierre Rode [1774-1830] "call me Rod"

Started by Scion7, July 27, 2016, 11:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

French violin virtuoso and composer

• born Bordeaux, 16 Feb 1774
• a child prodigy, began giving concerts at 12
• arrived in Paris just in time for the Revolution in 1789 - giving the debut performance of several of Viotti's concerti there
• 1795 violin professor of the Paris Conservatoire
• toured the Netherlands, Germany, London - where he was expelled in 1798 due to political associations
• travels to Spain resulted in a friendship with Boccherini
• returned to Paris and was named First Consul Napoleon's violinist in 1800
• Violin Concerto Nr.7 was a success
• Spohr hears him play in Germany and was much impressed
• traveled to Russia 1803 - from 1804 to 1808 Rode was solo violinist to the Tsar Alexander I
• returned to Paris, but his performances were met with indifference
• Beethoven was an admirer, and composed the last Violin Sonata Op.96 with him in mind; in Vienna, debuted the Sonata with Archduke Rudolph in 1812, but the performance did not meet with Beethoven's approval
• Spohr notes a decay in Rode's playing in Vienna
• 1814 Rode lived in Berlin and met and married Sophie Wilhelmine Caroline Verona
• returned to France 1819, settling in Bordeaux - Mendelssohn meets him in 1825 - notes he no longer plays the violin
• composes and teaches - makes a disastrous concert appearance in Paris 1828
• died Château de Bourbon, near Damazon, 25 Nov 1830

from The New Grove:   " At the height of his career, Rode was the most finished representative of the French violin school. Having assimilated Viotti's Classical approach, he imbued it with characteristically French verve, piquancy and a kind of nervous bravura. His artistic growth took place during the revolutionary decade, and it is not surprising that his music is akin to that of Cherubini and Méhul ... "

Rode may have suffered from a streptococcus bacteria infection of his right arm, which was the cause of his deterioration as a virtuoso, which so disturbed Louis Spohr.

Chamber                                                                                    Orchestral
=======================                                        ==============================
String Quartet Nr.1, 1815                                                              Violin Concerto Nr.1, 1794
String Quartet Nr.2, 1815                                                              Violin Concerto Nr.2, 1795
Duos for Two Violins, Op.1, Op.18, Op.22, Op.41                             Violin Concerto Nr.3, 1796
String Quartet Nr.3, 1820                                                              Violin Concerto Nr.4, 1798
String Quartet Nr.4, 1820                                                              Violin Concerto Nr.5, 1800
Quatuors brillants, Op.11, Op.12, Op.14-16, Op.18, 1825                 Violin Concerto Nr.6, 1800
Quatuor brillant, Op.28, 1828                                                         Violin Concerto Nr.7, 1803                                             
Air Varié for Violin solo & String Trio, Op. 10                                    Violin Concerto Nr.8, 1804
Andante varié, for String Quartet                                                    Violin Concerto Nr.9, 1808
2 Polonaises, for Flute & Guitar, 1820                                              Violin Concerto Nr.10, 1808
                                                                                                    Violin Concerto Nr.11, 1813
                                                                                                    Violin Concerto Nr. 12, 1815
                                                                                                    Violin Concerto Nr. 13, op. posthumous
  Solo works for Violin                                            Variations on Nel cor piu non mi sento from Paisiello's La molinara
============================            Introduction et variations brillantes, 'Air tyrolien', for Violin & Orchestra
Variations et finale (on a theme by Handel)
24 Caprices, 1815                                                                                          Vocal
12 Etudes, posthumous                                                                               =======================
Fantaisie, C (on Str Qt, op.24 no.1)                                                                   4 Romances
Introduction et variations brillantes (Air tyrolien)                                                 Petit air italien, 1804

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

I don't care too much for the Violin Concertos - the violin parts are ok, if perfunctory Classic in style - but the orchestration just was not up to the level of 2nd-tier composers of the period.

The solo pieces for violin, however, are very special.

Have never run across any of his string quartets - appears never to have been recorded in the vinyl era.
One quartet is on a CD release along with Onslow and Dancle.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Definitely one to have - and from the hands of a master violinist!

[asin]B000025XBS[/asin]

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

Scion7

[asin]B000003I0Y[/asin]

Scion7

^ click to embiggen

Concerto number 8 for Violin and Orchestra in E minor

Pressed By - Aprelevka Plant LPs
     Recorded At - Tashkent Recording Studio 1990

Credits
     Directed By - Imants Kocinsh
     Engineer - A. Umurzakov
     Liner Notes - V. Grigoriev
     Painting - S. Kraynov
     Performer - Mikhaïl Bezverkhni / The State Symphony Orchestra of Uzbekistan

Scion7

^ click

Four Hundred Years of the Violin: An Anthology of The Art of Violin Playing-Steven Staryk, violin.  ç1968  6-LP box set

Contains Rode's  Caprice's No. 2-No. 21-No. 17-No. 8

kishnevi

Quote from: Scion7 on July 28, 2016, 02:48:52 AM

[asin]B000003I0Y[/asin]

Another recording lost in the Naive catalog....
Truth to tell I would be more interested in the Onslow, but I am not paying ~$40 for it!

Scion7

I hope I didn't scare off the uninitiated towards Rode's concerto series on Naxos - Pasquet conducts the various orchestras with skill, and the accomplishment of Friedemann Eichhorn on these works is the result of his natural talent and VERY hard work.  The practice that had to have gone into mastering the extreme technical challenges is fairly awe-inspiring.  They are pleasant listening - just don't expect great orchestration - but, that doesn't stop me from enjoying Paganini's concerti, either!

score - violin part - 3rd movement: Allegretto moderato con spirito