Bonjour

Started by Fitzcarraldo, August 02, 2016, 06:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitzcarraldo

Hello everyone, I'm new here.
What else to say? I find introductions quite intimidating and I don't like making a list of "what I listen to" : it is too vague, there is too much.
Hopefully you will find out about my music tastes on the forum itself...  :)

bhodges

Hello, Fitzcarraldo (good film, by the way), and welcome. Should I assume from your subject line that you are either French, or in love with French culture? In any case, enjoy your time here - and making lists is definitely not a requirement.  8)

--Bruce

Fitzcarraldo

Thank you Bruce. I am French, living in England, and in love with both cultures  :)

(poco) Sforzando

Are you planning to haul a steamship over a mountain in a South American jungle?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Fitzcarraldo

I am planning to have a bunch of slaves do it for me, but I will play opera on my gramophone to encourage them.

aligreto

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you enjoy your time here. I really like your avatar  :)

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing what music you're into. Feel free to drop by the 'Listening' thread and let us know what you've been enjoying:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21492.0.html

Fitzcarraldo

Thank you all for your welcome  :)

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wanderer

Welcome, Fitzcarraldo!

Hollywood

Howdy there. Greetings from a Yankee living in Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Fitzcarraldo

Thanks again  ;D

Hollywood, what do you do in Austria? are you a musician?

nathanb

Fitzcarraldo! This is almost eerie! I just watched the movie about you for the very first time last night!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: nathanb on August 03, 2016, 12:50:39 PM
Fitzcarraldo! This is almost eerie! I just watched the movie about you for the very first time last night!

If you think that one's nuts, try Aguirre, the Wrath of God.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

nathanb

I started Herzog only about a month ago. I actually started with Aguirre. Then Woyzeck a couple weeks later. I dunno if I could pick a favorite thus far, but Woyzeck was definitely the weak link, if I had to say anything of the sort. I'll watch another soon. Cobra Verde or Nosferatu.

Hollywood

Quote from: Fitzcarraldo on August 03, 2016, 02:57:52 AM
Thanks again  ;D

Hollywood, what do you do in Austria? are you a musician?

Unfortunately I'm not a musician. I'm just a L.A. Lady who always wanted to live in Vienna since I was a child. I have been living here for almost 23 years and am located in Heiligenstadt not far from at least 5 of Beethoven's former addresses (the Heiligenstadt Testament Haus is the closest to my flat).
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Fitzcarraldo

Quote from: nathanb on August 03, 2016, 12:50:39 PM

Ha! Did you like it?

nathanb

Quite a bit. It was helpful that dialogue played a more prominent role, imo, than in the other two I'd seen. And of course, DAT BOAT.

vandermolen

Welcome to the Forum from me too.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: Fitzcarraldo on August 02, 2016, 07:29:49 AMI am planning to have a bunch of slaves do it for me, but I will play opera on my gramophone to encourage them.

Janáček's From the House of the Dead will do wonders. You certainly know how to inspire, welcome to the forum!  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948