Luis Gianneo [1897-1968]

Started by Scion7, August 06, 2016, 08:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Born and died in Buenos Aires.

from The New Grove:

Gianneo is acknowledged as a leading Latin American composer and one of the first in Argentina to integrate folk idioms with contemporary musical techniques. He composed 80 works covering all genres (except opera), and he is especially known for his orchestral and chamber music. Gianneo's early compositions (1923–32) reveal a fascination with the indigenous culture and landscape of northwestern Argentina. Later, he embraced a neo-classical aesthetic (1933–60), and in his final works (1960–68) adapted a dissonant harmonic language and the free use of serialism. His popular symphonic poem, El tarco en flor (1930), pays tribute to the exquisite blooming trees of Tucumán. His Concierto Aymará (1942), based on pentatonic themes, won second prize in an international competition sponsored by the Edwin A. Fleischer Collection. Gianneo's music has been recorded on historical and contemporary labels (including Preludio, Pampa, Qualiton, Angel, Odeón, Dorian and RCA Camden), and numerous taped copies of his works survive in national and municipal radio archives of Buenos Aires. 

Cannot find a comprehensive works list - this is a selection.

Orchestral
================

Turay-Turay, sym. poem, 1928 
El tarco en flor, sym. poem, 1930 
Obertura para una comedia infantil, 1937 
Sinfonietta 'Homanaje a Haydn', 1940 
piano Conc., 1941 
Concierto Aymará, violin, orch, 1942 
Sinfonía de las Américas, 1945 
Pericón, 1948 
Variaciones sobre tema de tango, 1953 
Obertura del sesquicentenario, perf. 1966
Cuatro cantos populares incaicos, 1924

Chamber Music
=================

3 piezas criollas, str qt, 1923 
4 cantos incaicos, str qt, 1924 
piano Trio no.1, 1925 
Sonata, cello, piano, 1934 
Sonata, violin, piano, 1935 
Cuarteto criollo no.1, str qt, 1936 
5 piezas, violin, piano, 1942 
piano Trio no.2, 1943 
Cuarteto criollo no.2, str qt, 1944 
Str Qt no.3, 1952 
Str Qt no.4, 1958
Concertino Serenata (1938-50) for woodwind quintet and string quintet

Piano
===============

Sonata no.1, 1917 
Preludios criollos, 1927 
Bailecito, 1931 
Suite, 1933 
Sonatina, 1938 
3 danzas argentinas, 1939 
Música para niños, 1941 
Sonata no.2, 1943 
Sonata no.3, 1957

Ballet
=============

Blanca Nieves (1, Gianneo and J. Ghidoni de Gianneo, after J. and W. Grimm), 1939, Buenos Aires, Colón, 16 Aug 1963

Vocal-orchestral
================

Transfiguración (J. Zocchi), Bar, orch, 1944 
Angor Dei (J. de Ibarbourou), S, orch, 1962 
Poema de la Saeta (F. García Lorca), 1v, orch, 1966

Songs
=============

Pampeanas (R. Chirre Danós), 1924 
6 coplas (trad.): ser. 1, 1929, ser. 2, 1930

from Guide to the Pianist's Repertoire, By Maurice Hinson:

[asin]B002QUXVYY[/asin]

[asin]B004AHAEVE[/asin]

[asin]B00006669T[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B000001QAG[/asin]

[asin]B00005UO81[/asin]
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B0000631BE[/asin] 

[asin]B000ZHP94A[/asin]

Scion7

Only a small portion of his works have been issued commercially.
Maybe one day.

There is a selection of his compositions on YT:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=LUIS+GIANNEO

Scion7

from MusicWeb:     Gianneo's Tarco en flor (The dragontree in flower) is a poetic piece inspired by the flowers of Gianneo's home province of Tucuman. Brits will recognise the lachrymose beauty of this music, touched with pastoral Bridge, Hadley and Delius. There's bird-song too but underpinned by heaving Debussian surges and thunderous rhythms (4:37). It's a very impressive piece.

El tarco en flor (Symphonic poem)  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZMh2uKNsY

Scion7

Trío Arbós:
  Juan Carlos Garvayo, piano
  Miguel Borrego, violin
  José Miguel Gómez, violoncello

[asin]B000F1IOBG[/asin]

Segundo Trio: I. Andante  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yW0qzcKH-M
Segundo Trio: II. Lento  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6TXdzTMXHE
Segundo Trio: III. Allegro energico  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPR8Z1FeLY

Dos danzas Argentinas - I Güeya - II Bailecito - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYtZ3Pp2Jkw

Scion7

[asin]B00000223X[/asin]

Brunilda Gianneo-violin
Edith Murano-piano

Odd pairing with Brahms - the Gianneo pieces on this 1997 CD are:

1. Son for vn & pno: Allegro non troppo
  2. Son for vn & pno: Lento
  3. Son for vn & pno: Allegro Scherzando
  4. Chacarera
  5. Chancion de Cuna
  6. Zapateado

Records International (December 1997):  " Sonata for Violin and Piano, Chacarera, Canción de Cuna, Zapateado, JOHANNES BRAHMS (1833-1897): Violin Sonata No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 108. The Argentinian Gianneo, one of the principal founders of the Argentinian national school of composition, was greatly influenced by the folk melodies of the native population of Tucumán province in his native country and this comes out in his tonal, bright and attractive three-movement sonata (1935) as well as in his settings of three characteristic songs and dances. Brunilda Gianneo (violin), Edith Murano (piano). Koch Discover 920268 "

[asin]B004BHD8HK[/asin]

Scion7

Scion7

Mirror Image

Scion7

Yes, but I don't want to. Litters things up.
And I want people to use HTML5, and not Adobe Flashplayer, unless necessary for legacy material.

Stop the madness
->

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on August 07, 2016, 07:51:00 AM
Yes, but I don't want to. Litters things up.

Litters things up? As oppose to the Amazon links people post and the picture you posted to accompany your own link above? Not to mention the huge ass covers you posted on this very composer's thread. Please... ::)

Scion7

You're welcome.
And the serum is ALMOST ready . . . . .