Max Richter (1966 -)

Started by Mirror Image, August 08, 2016, 08:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

I have only two CDs of Richter, both early ones

The Blue Notebooks: I find this to contain really good and appealing music [most of it low key, but not depressing]. However, it has one aspect which I find rather irritating and that is over the narration on some songs one hears the constant tapping of an old school typewriter at the beginning of those songs. I understand the concept but there is too much of it for me. If this kind of thing bothers you I would check it out first. If not, it is a very fine album both musically and sonically.

Songs From Before: This CD is filled with melodies that are emotionally loaded and filled with pathos, inhabiting a dreamlike world. The music is once again low key and again not depressing. The quality of the works and the production is very good. It is a very fine album.

I have also heard his take on Vivaldi's Four Seasons but I did not spend waste my hard earned money on it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Jo498 on August 08, 2016, 11:04:19 PM
I listened to some that Vivaldi "remix" a few years ago and I find it quite horrible. Not sure why an apparently otherwise serious composer would do something like that (except that it probably sells well...).
I recall hearing that some years ago and remembering thinking at the time that it seemed bizarre/not liking it.

Yesterday, a friend showed me a CD that he had just purchased of Voices and listened to last night.  It revolves around the reading of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:  https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights  He said that he was incredibly moved by it.  Hopefully, I can borrow it soon.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:

I'm enjoying this very much - as is my wife!  ;D
I think I might get it for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. I think that they'd like the music and the motivation behind it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2021, 08:58:26 AM
From WAYLTN thread:

I'm enjoying this very much - as is my wife!  ;D
I think I might get it for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. I think that they'd like the music and the motivation behind it.
You're wife is enjoying it?!  Is this one of those few historic moments chez vous?  I'll have to look into it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 12, 2021, 12:20:24 PM
You're wife is enjoying it?!  Is this one of those few historic moments chez vous?  I'll have to look into it.

PD
Absolutely PD!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2021, 01:03:28 PMAbsolutely PD!  ;D
Did you end up purchasing that "Exiles" CD for them?  If so, how did it go over?

Listened to his album "From Sleep" last night...very soothing.

I'll have to revisit one piece that he wrote for the movie "Shelter Island" [which I loved!] called "On the nature of daylight".

Will see if I can borrow some of his other music through my library.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 11, 2023, 10:31:28 AMDid you end up purchasing that "Exiles" CD for them?  If so, how did it go over?

Listened to his album "From Sleep" last night...very soothing.

I'll have to revisit one piece that he wrote for the movie "Shelter Island" [which I loved!] called "On the nature of daylight".

Will see if I can borrow some of his other music through my library.

PD
Yes, I bought it for my daughter and her husband. We all heard it live in London a few months ago and we all greatly enjoyed it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2023, 01:09:12 PMYes, I bought it for my daughter and her husband. We all heard it live in London a few months ago and we all greatly enjoyed it.
Oh, cool!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter