2 Pieces For Orchestra op 9

Started by Spawnofsatan, August 09, 2016, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spawnofsatan

I uploaded this a few days ago, it's a minimalist piece influenced and tributed to Phillip Glass. Hope you like, make sure you leave a comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7KWg0s2tg

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Can you explain why it is minimalist?

I'm not a Glass expert or anything, but have you investigated formal structures in his music compared with indian classical music?

Keep up the composing!

Monsieur Croche

With all due respect, it is rather typical for students and the self-taught who are in their earlier years of composing to emulate, while most often they only end up with something superficially like what they hope to emulate. You've moshed together some basic elements with 'the tenets' and some of the technical characteristics of the style, while not having gotten anywhere near, really.

There is a glaring absence of those ''internal processes" which are the basic premise and focus of minimalist style and therefore very much a part of 'the sound they make.' Without them, the listener is not engaged because the very point of listener focus within the style is not present.

You've taken these premises, i.e. repeated lines of varying rhythm and number of beats, ostinati, without putting any of them through their paces, at least not long enough to unfold and make me even think 'minimalism' when I hear the piece (if we have to be told in a program note, but can't / don't hear it....)

Too, what you do have doesn't run long enough to establish itself as per the effectiveness of said processes; ergo, any subtle or dramatic shifts, whether variants of phasing or newly introduced material, don't have any real impact on the listener.

That said, I think the general minimalist style is about as equally tricky and demanding as some good part of The Classical Style -- in that both could rightly be called, "music made of nothing," i.e. the configurations are 'music basics,' a few chords or intervals, arpeggiated figures, scales, etc. By themselves there is nothing much distinctive or interesting -- until they are whipped up into a more than interesting fabric by a highly skilled composer. I can not think of any other styles so 'easily' outwardly imitated (even by beginners) while making from them something successful is an entirely different ball of wax.

Decent first essay in and around the procedures and style, and I'd call it that and... make another essay, and then another, i.e. write the bad and mediocre out until you get a handle on it (there is no substitute for composing a good number of brief studies to get you further along with that) and eventually you will be able to conceive of and execute something far more successful than this one ;-)

Best regards.

P.s. Then there is always this, with some real pointers as well as being more than a little tongue-in-cheek.
https://www.youtube.com/v/nNiOqa1nWgI
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Spawnofsatan on August 09, 2016, 08:26:56 PM
I uploaded this a few days ago, it's a minimalist piece influenced and tributed to Phillip Glass. Hope you like, make sure you leave a comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7KWg0s2tg

"This video is private."
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."