Author Topic: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)  (Read 66698 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: Morton Feldman (1926-1987)
« Reply #640 on: May 02, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
This maybe. But you’ll have to use your imagination a bit because that YouTube is with a lute, there are other recorded versions with different accompaniments, including a percussion instrument - a piano.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Vf2BQtMQNgs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Vf2BQtMQNgs</a>

If you can get access to some streaming platform, you may like this

I've got Apple Music, I'll see if that's on there.

As for the other one on Youtube, I'll check it out. I haven't been disappointed yet with Another Timbre. I've been hooked on their Feldman Two Pianos disc.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #641 on: May 02, 2020, 11:58:27 PM »

Is there any piece out there that's anything like BC&P?

This is a worthwhile recording I think

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #642 on: May 03, 2020, 02:40:44 AM »
This is a worthwhile recording I think

Thanks I was looking at that too. The reason I decided against it is because I would be duplicating all of those works except "Instruments I" which I've never heard, but it is on Qobuz & I think cheap. Anyway it seems like Feldman's music actually does reward varying interpretations, somewhat to my surprise—ever since I got the Hat-Now-Art recording of Why Patterns? & Crippled Symmetry, I've been listening to it and the California EAR Unit recordings that I also have about 50/50 and both show me different facets of the works in question (tho I haven't heard the Hat-Art Crippled Symmetry in full just yet)

Edit: The samples sound great.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:42:36 AM by vers la flamme »

Online T. D.

« Reply #643 on: May 03, 2020, 03:50:48 AM »
I've previously touted this excellent (oop) collection which includes BCP, some early graphic score material, and quite a few works with percussion:

Physical is scarce/expensive, but maybe it's streamable?
Speaking of New Millennium Ensemble, I really enjoy the obscure I met Heine on the Rue Fuerstenberg, which I heard here (it's been on at least one more recent recording):

Yesterday I listened via youtube to The King of Denmark, a graphic score piece for solo percussion. That's interesting and worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:53:23 AM by T. D. »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #644 on: May 03, 2020, 08:02:05 AM »
I've previously touted this excellent (oop) collection which includes BCP, some early graphic score material, and quite a few works with percussion:

Physical is scarce/expensive, but maybe it's streamable?

Yes I like it, the thing which New Millenium and Barton do nicely for my taste  is the balance of sound between percussion and clarinet. In both recordings the time is “undisturbed.”

By the way, I like King of Denmark - I didn’t know it was a graphic score.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #645 on: May 03, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »
It's quite an interesting looking score I think,

Maybe a little simplified from some of his other graph scores.

As for the piece itself, it may be short, but it's one of my favorite Feldman works.