Author Topic: Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)  (Read 251997 times)

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
Re: Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)
« Reply #1580 on: September 15, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
It is indeed a first world problem. Even if we listened 24/7 for two decades we wouldn't finish. However, isn't the explanation that we are building a library to browse at our leisure?  That makes me feel better.....    0:)

Yes, that's what I tell myself. I don't always convince myself, though.  >:( :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #1581 on: September 15, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
Finally completed my boxes (moved upstairs) so now my living room looks almost normal!   ::)

How is your Paillard thinking going? And what are your thoughts about the current Beethoven mania (box frenzy). Clearly all of us have nuuuuumerous versions of almost everything apart from a few unusual works.  I guess we will all listen to Beethoven 24/7 in 2020?
No LvB for me. I've tons, and most of it very good. For a comprehensive set, I love the Sony box, which I got for a song. Excluding that, I could probably play a different disk a day for his whole Birthday year...
   Regarding Paillard, I expect it to go the way of the Cluytens---very, very cheap (eventually). When it's $80-90, I'll think seriously about biting.  I've developed patience in my old age 8)
It's all good...

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • 私はコーヒーを飲む
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1582 on: October 11, 2020, 12:57:50 PM »
So I bought this Naxos Telemann CD. Great CD. Cheap. Great purchase!

Next I went through my CD collection to see what Telemann I have. I was reminded how everytime I go through my collection I find many CDs I have forgotten altogether. I have this? Wow! I have this too? Great! I feel I need to revisit all of these discs rather than buy new stuff.

That's my solution to CDCDCD: Go through your collection and make surprising discoveries.  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1583 on: October 11, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »
So I bought this Naxos Telemann CD. Great CD. Cheap. Great purchase!

Next I went through my CD collection to see what Telemann I have. I was reminded how everytime I go through my collection I find many CDs I have forgotten altogether. I have this? Wow! I have this too? Great! I feel I need to revisit all of these discs rather than buy new stuff.

That's my solution to CDCDCD: Go through your collection and make surprising discoveries.  8)

Indeed. Sometimes I find several copies of the same CD. ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1584 on: October 12, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
Indeed. Sometimes I find several copies of the same CD. ::)

At least it shows consistent taste!  :D

Q

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1585 on: October 12, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »
I think I only once accidentally bought a disc twice but even for that one I have the excuse that one was part of a twofer and on a different label (it was two Beethoven quartets with the Artemis that had appeared very early on some other label). I came close to buying stuff I already had several times but fortunately checked my shelves beforehand. And of course I bought a few things twice or more knowingly because of new remasterings or more economic boxes etc.
However, the most puzzling occasions are when I had really forgotten that I had bought something and was genuinely surprised discovering it on my shelves, this happened e.g. with the Beethoven violin sonatas with Cerovsek/Jumppanen. It has also happened once or twice that I was pretty sure I had bought a certain disc but it had remained in the planning stage and I never got around actually buying it.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1586 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:13 AM »
That's what I decided to do starting yesterday. I started yesterday morning at Z for Zemlinsky and am working backwards through my collection, just pulling out the CDs where I think either "wow, haven't heard that in a long time" or "have never heard that" or "wait, I own this??"

Halfway through day 2, very much enjoying rediscovering Carl Maria von Weber.