Great Resignation (Big Quit) 2021-2022

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, October 10, 2021, 07:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 14, 2022, 12:07:13 PM
Fast-forward to fall 2022. The number of people quitting, while down from the peak, remains at the highest level since the 1970s. White-collar workers don't want to give up working remotely. Low-paying sectors such as the hospitality industry can't find enough people willing to work for the wages on offer. Union organizing and strikes have been on an upswing.

Yes it seems to me that it's sellers' market in labor market now. Totally understandable that employees don't want to give up working remotely. I don't either. I suspect remote/flexible work rather enhances productivity and efficiency.

greg

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 15, 2022, 01:44:32 PM
I suspect remote/flexible work rather enhances productivity and efficiency.
Yep, this is one thing that is true that I don't see mentioned enough. I still choose to WFH 1 or 2 days a week, sometimes more because one advantage is that if there is some task that is really huge and requires many different meetings and a lot of effort, it's much better if you can max out your availability. Sitting in traffic for nearly an hour during the day and getting lunch from the cafeteria are all time sinks.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 15, 2022, 01:44:32 PM
Yes it seems to me that it's sellers' market in labor market now. Totally understandable that employees don't want to give up working remotely. I don't either. I suspect remote/flexible work rather enhances productivity and efficiency.

It depends on the nature of the work. If you work in a factory you won't be productive sitting in your house. If you work does not involve interacting with other people, whether you are more productive at home depends on your personality - can you focus and stay on track in a house full of distractions rather than a cubicle. If you work in a highly collaborative field such as scientific research, engineering product development, other collaborative activities, in-person interaction is much more productive than zoom meetings.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

greg

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 16, 2022, 03:34:34 AM
If you work does not involve interacting with other people, whether you are more productive at home depends on your personality - can you focus and stay on track in a house full of distractions rather than a cubicle.
Yeah, levels of distraction also depends on many things. I actually find working in office more distracting. I have people nearby talking loudly on calls and also someone I can talk to about any subject of interest when I feel like it. Also get the urge to just randomly walk around, and do that quite a bit each day.

At home, there might be a million things to do, but I have no people distracting me, and no desire to walk far away from my computer. So less distracting overall.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

There's an article in The New Yorker:
The Year in Quiet Quitting
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

As remote work takes hold, Boston's office market starts to wobble

Vacancy rates are at near-two-decade highs, and there are growing concerns that defaults and devaluations could ripple through the economy
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 15, 2023, 12:58:02 PMAs remote work takes hold, Boston's office market starts to wobble

Vacancy rates are at near-two-decade highs, and there are growing concerns that defaults and devaluations could ripple through the economy

Turn them into apartments I say.  Two birds.  One stone.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 13, 2023, 01:33:17 PMThe Great Resignation is over.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/13/economy/great-resignation-job-quitting-over/index.html

QuoteThe Great Resignation had clear benefits for workers, since wages went up and benefits improved across many industries, said Nick Bunker, the director of economic research at job listings site Indeed.

In 2021, 47.7 million people voluntarily left their jobs, according to the BLS. That was the largest number since it began compiling annual statistics in 2001. By the end of 2022, an additional 50.5 million workers had quit.

Wage growth shot up in 2021, peaking in August 2022. However, according to the most recent data from the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, wage growth remains elevated: wages grew 6% on an annualized basis in May 2023, compared to May 2022.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

VonStupp

Before 2021, I had noted to several colleagues there was very little turn over in our complex, minus an occasional retirement or relocation circumstance.

This year has been the biggest loss of employees I can ever remember, mostly young people with not many years under their belt. Last year, positions weren't even able to be filled, something we have never dealt with before.

Education and academia are still struggling after shutdowns, is my guess, and in the middle of the US, these effects sometimes reach us later than the big ports of call.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: VonStupp on August 02, 2023, 03:11:31 PMBefore 2021, I had noted to several colleagues there was very little turn over in our complex, minus an occasional retirement or relocation circumstance.

This year has been the biggest loss of employees I can ever remember, mostly young people with not many years under their belt. Last year, positions weren't even able to be filled, something we have never dealt with before.

Education and academia are still struggling after shutdowns, is my guess, and in the middle of the US, these effects sometimes reach us later than the big ports of call.
VS

Imagine how bad the higher-ed/academics is in the deep South!