Jenö (Eugene) Zádor [1894-1977]

Started by Scion7, August 22, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

http://eugenezador.com/about/       <---  excellent bio

Hungarian composer who emmigrated to the U.S. at the age of 37.
The works that I have heard sound very "American" - a niche perhaps somewhere between Copland and Schuman?

selective works list from The New Grove:

Orchestral: Hungarian Caprice, 1935; Children's Sym., 1941; Biblical Triptych, 1943; Fugue Fantasia, 1958; The Remarkable Adventures of Henry Bold, nar, orch, 1963; Festival Ov., 1964; Variations on a Merry Theme, 1965; 5 Contrasts, 1965; Aria and Allegro, 1967; Trbn Conc., 1967; Music for Cl and Str, 1968; Cimb Conc., 1969; Studies, 1970; Db Conc., 1971; Accordion Conc., 1971; Duo Fantasy, 2 vc, str, hp, 1973; Suite, hn, str, perc, 1974; Hungarian Scherzo, 1975; Conc, ob, str, 1975
Choral: Cant. technica, 1961; Scherzo domestico, 1961; The Judgement (orat, P. Mahony), 1974; Cain (melodrama, Mahony, Hughes), Bar, orch, 1976

Chamber: Wind Qnt, 1972; Brass Qnt, 1973; Fantasy for Two Cellos

Opera: X-mal Rembrandt [Forever Rembrandt] (1, K. Pálffy-Waniek), 1930; Christopher Columbus (1, J. Mohácsi), New York, 1939; The Virgin and the Fawn (1, L. Zilahy), Los Angeles, 1964; The Magic Chair (1, G. Jellinek, after F. Karinthy), Baton Rouge, LA, 1966; The Scarlet Mill (2, Jellinek, after F. Molnár), New York, 1968; The Inspector General (3, Zador, after N. Gogol), Los Angeles, 1971; Yehu, a Christmas Legend (A. Együd, after Bible), Los Angeles, 1974
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

[asin]B00ARL9P8K[/asin]   

[asin]B007N0SW14[/asin]

Scion7

[asin]B01H5JT0LS[/asin] 

[asin]B0176N4C2U[/asin]

Scion7

Scion7

Fans of Malcolm Arnold, Aaron Copland, and the like should have no trouble enjoying Zádor's music.

Mirror Image

So there's no Hungarian residue in any of his music?

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2016, 10:44:45 AMSo there's no Hungarian residue in any of his music?
The first Naxos release claims some of his pieces to be "overtly 'Hungarian' in style" and the cover certainly alludes to that:
Quote from: Scion7 on August 22, 2016, 12:49:50 PM [asin]B00ARL9P8K[/asin]
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Scion7

Not in the same way that Bartok or Kodaly or Dohnányi (and to the incorrect degree of Liszt) incorporated more nationalist elements.  I've not heard his chamber music, and the majority of his music remains unrecorded. He's not a major composer - just a good one that made fairly uplifting music.