The attack of the Band Junkie arpeggio

Started by arpeggio, September 05, 2016, 07:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanb

Quote from: karlhenning on September 06, 2016, 03:23:50 PM
It would be a funny world if we all agreed all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Certainly, but there are levels of disagreement. On another forum, the way in which certain dissenters target each and every possible post on certain topic... it borders on online harassment really. Much nicer here.

arpeggio

I just read the Cage thread.

I am not a fan of Cage.  But as many of my friends know I have always tried to respect the music of Cage and his proponents.

I found very little of the insane Cage bashing I have seen in other forums.  Overall it is the best thread I have ever seen about the music of Cage

Karl Henning

Quote from: nathanb on September 06, 2016, 03:35:56 PM
Certainly, but there are levels of disagreement. On another forum, the way in which certain dissenters target each and every possible post on certain topic... it borders on online harassment really. Much nicer here.

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 03:49:09 PM
I just read the Cage thread.

I am not a fan of Cage.  But as many of my friends know I have always tried to respect the music of Cage and his proponents.

I found very little of the insane Cage bashing I have seen in other forums.  Overall it is the best thread I have ever seen about the music of Cage

To repeat, you are both welcome.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Welcome to GMG! One of the loveliest sites on the internet! I hope you enjoy your time here :)

(from COAG/jms as you may have known me from the other site)

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Gotta love some Frank Ticheli..................

8)

arpeggio

THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I am running into so many of my friends from Talk Classical.

I could use some help.  I can not get my functions to work like the bold setting or any of the happy faces.

arpeggio

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 04:19:50 PM

I could use some help.  I can not get my functions to work like the bold setting or any of the happy faces.

Forget it.  I think I have found an answer.  In Microsoft Edge they do not work.  The do work in Chrome and Internet Explorer. :)

arpeggio

Quote from: jessop on September 06, 2016, 04:07:48 PM
Welcome to GMG! One of the loveliest sites on the internet! I hope you enjoy your time here :)

(from COAG/jms as you may have known me from the other site)

Wow!!!!! It is so great to see you again. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on September 05, 2016, 07:35:54 PM
I have been invited to join here by SimonNZ.

Welcome aboard, arpeggio! Who are some of your favorite composers?

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2016, 07:37:37 PM
Welcome aboard, arpeggio! Who are some of your favorite composers?

I really do not have a favorite composer or genre.  I like all sorts of composers from Vivaldi to Carter.

According to my database program the top twenty composers in my library are:

Beethoven
Liszt
Britten
Stravinsky
Hindemith
Holst
Chopin
Barber
Elgar
Vivaldi
Carter (Until he passed away a few years ago he was my favorite living composer.  I got to meet him at Tanglewood.)
Prokofiev
Bax
Shostakovich
Mozart
Copeland
Sibelius
Martinu
Dvorak
Hovhaness

I have over 90 works of these composers in my library.  There are some duplicates.  Since I am a band junkie, I have several recordings of the Hindemith Symphony for Band.

My favorite living composers include:
John Corigliano
James MacMillan
David Maslanka
John Harbison
John Williams
Michael Daugherty
Frank Ticheli
Kalevi Aho
John Adams
Ned Rorem
Karel Husa (He is up there)
Leonardo Balada
Joan Tower
Eric Whitacre (I know there are many who do not care for him but his Ghost Train Trilogy is one of the finest band works I have ever performed.)
Richard Danielpour
Joseph Schwanter
Phillip Sparke
James Barnes
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich
Christopher Rouse

It is actually easier for me to come up with composers I do not like.  Most of them you probably never heard of like Middendorff, Wigglesworth and Nigel Hess.

Among non-classical I am a big fan of:
Don Ellis
Stan Kenton
Modern Jazz Quartet
Willie Nelson
Reba McIntyre
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Dave Matthews
Phish
Beatles
Emerson, Palmer and Lake
Beach Boys
And my secret guilty pleasure ABBA  :-[

My all time favorite is probably Mahler.

If the sound world of a piece of music appeals to me I really do not care when or where it was written.  Like there is this cool Baroque British composer I have just discovered: Thomas Arne.  He composed a series of great overtures.  His most famous song is "Rule Britannia".

This is what has gotten me into trouble in other forums.  People could not understand how I could like Beethoven and Carter.  Because of this and because I defend people who like Cage I have a reputation of being a crazed modernists.  Yet only about 7% of my library and my listening habits are directed toward atonal/avant-garde music.

I am always interested in discovering new composers, living or dead.

Karl Henning

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 09:19:15 PM
[...]  People could not understand how I could like Beethoven and Carter.

Of course, that is a failure of their imagination.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on September 06, 2016, 09:19:15 PM
I really do not have a favorite composer or genre.  I like all sorts of composers from Vivaldi to Carter.

According to my database program the top twenty composers in my library are:

Beethoven
Liszt
Britten
Stravinsky
Hindemith
Holst
Chopin
Barber
Elgar
Vivaldi
Carter (Until he passed away a few years ago he was my favorite living composer.  I got to meet him at Tanglewood.)
Prokofiev
Bax
Shostakovich
Mozart
Copeland
Sibelius
Martinu
Dvorak
Hovhaness

I have over 90 works of these composers in my library.  There are some duplicates.  Since I am a band junkie, I have several recordings of the Hindemith Symphony for Band.

My favorite living composers include:
John Corigliano
James MacMillan
David Maslanka
John Harbison
John Williams
Michael Daugherty
Frank Ticheli
Kalevi Aho
John Adams
Ned Rorem
Karel Husa (He is up there)
Leonardo Balada
Joan Tower
Eric Whitacre (I know there are many who do not care for him but his Ghost Train Trilogy is one of the finest band works I have ever performed.)
Richard Danielpour
Joseph Schwanter
Phillip Sparke
James Barnes
Ellen Taaffe Zwilich
Christopher Rouse

It is actually easier for me to come up with composers I do not like.  Most of them you probably never heard of like Middendorff, Wigglesworth and Nigel Hess.

Among non-classical I am a big fan of:
Don Ellis
Stan Kenton
Modern Jazz Quartet
Willie Nelson
Reba McIntyre
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Dave Matthews
Phish
Beatles
Emerson, Palmer and Lake
Beach Boys
And my secret guilty pleasure ABBA  :-[

My all time favorite is probably Mahler.

If the sound world of a piece of music appeals to me I really do not care when or where it was written.  Like there is this cool Baroque British composer I have just discovered: Thomas Arne.  He composed a series of great overtures.  His most famous song is "Rule Britannia".

This is what has gotten me into trouble in other forums.  People could not understand how I could like Beethoven and Carter.  Because of this and because I defend people who like Cage I have a reputation of being a crazed modernists.  Yet only about 7% of my library and my listening habits are directed toward atonal/avant-garde music.

I am always interested in discovering new composers, living or dead.

Nice list. I don't understand how people couldn't understand how you could like Beethoven and Carter for completely different reasons. I like Beethoven and Ligeti does this make me a lunatic? If someone doesn't understand how I can listen to Beethoven and turn around and then listen to Scelsi, then they'll just have to get over it. This certainly isn't my problem.

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 07, 2016, 06:24:04 AM
Nice list. I don't understand how people couldn't understand how you could like Beethoven and Carter for completely different reasons. I like Beethoven and Ligeti does this make me a lunatic? If someone doesn't understand how I can listen to Beethoven and turn around and then listen to Scelsi, then they'll just have to get over it. This certainly isn't my problem.

Thanks for the nice comment.

arpeggio

Newbie question.

Is there a latest purchases thread?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: arpeggio on September 07, 2016, 09:34:35 AM
Newbie question.

Is there a latest purchases thread?

Go to General Classical Music Discussion and you'll find a sticky: Purchases Today. There is also a non-classical purchase thread in the Diner.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

arpeggio

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 07, 2016, 09:43:31 AM
Go to General Classical Music Discussion and you'll find a sticky: Purchases Today. There is also a non-classical purchase thread in the Diner.

Sarge
Thanks

arpeggio

One of the biggest mistake a newbie makes is starting a thread that already exists.

My music library is based on breath instead of depth.  Instead of fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth I would prefer to have fifty recordings of different symphonies. 
Since I am always on the lookout for new composers and music one of my favorite threads in another forum is "Pieces that have blown you away recently".  This is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before or a new composer.

This would not be a thread for a person who already has fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth and he just acquired his fifty-first.  This thread is for a person who had never heard Beethoven's Fifth and his initial exposure to it was awesome.

In the other forum I recently submitted a post about a CD that I acquired that had some piano music of Faure.  I got the CD because if contain some music of Ravel that I was unfamiliar with.  I am not a fan of Faure.  When the Faure train left the station I was not on it.  This recordings of some of his barcarolles and nocturnes blew me away.

If there is already a thread like this where is it.  If not I would like to start one.

Hilltroll73(Ukko)

What Ho, Bassooner! This is getting like old home week.

Sorry about the 'What Ho'. I'm reading Wodehouse lately.
Salud e dinero... Hah! So that's what is missing.

arpeggio

Quote from: Hilltroll73 on September 08, 2016, 01:41:06 PM
What Ho, Bassooner! This is getting like old home week.

Sorry about the 'What Ho'. I'm reading Wodehouse lately.

I am all the time running into old friends here. :)