The Graphic Novel Hub

Started by Mirror Image, September 06, 2016, 08:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I figured since I'm into graphic novels particularly the DC Comics' Vertigo line of comics that I'd start a thread. What are some of your favorite graphic novels?

Mirror Image

I suppose I could start with perhaps my 'Top 5 Favorites' for now (in no particular order):

Watchmen
The Sandman
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come

Of course, I'm in the midst of playing catch up now and have a lot to read, but of particular interest to me right now are the Preacher and Swamp Thing (Alan Moore) series.

vandermolen

I am a huge fan of the Tintin books but I'm not sure they count as graphic novels.
Otherwise I like 'Maus'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Sgt Rock: The Lost Battalion....of course  8)

I especially like the South Park allusion  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Rinaldo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 06, 2016, 01:41:23 PMI am a huge fan of the Tintin books but I'm not sure they count as graphic novels.

Of course they do! And they are indeed great.

QuoteOtherwise I like 'Maus'.

A classic. Another eye-opener for me was the work of Joe Sacco, especially Palestine and Footnotes in Gaza.

As for 'lighter' comics, I've always liked the art of Mike Mignola. I'm not that much of a Hellboy fan but The Corpse short story is one of my all-time favourites.

NikF

I've a long and narrow cardboard box which might contain some graphic novels. I don't know for sure because I have never looked inside it. There were originally four such boxes and the first three contained comic books and a couple of graphic novels. I gave them to a local charity shop.
When I get home I'll venture into the attic and have a look.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 06, 2016, 01:41:23 PM
I am a huge fan of the Tintin books but I'm not sure they count as graphic novels.
Otherwise I like 'Maus'.

Have you read Watchmen, Jeffrey? One of the greatest graphic novels ever written IMHO.

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 06, 2016, 02:58:13 PM
Of course they do! And they are indeed great.

A classic. Another eye-opener for me was the work of Joe Sacco, especially Palestine and Footnotes in Gaza.

As for 'lighter' comics, I've always liked the art of Mike Mignola. I'm not that much of a Hellboy fan but The Corpse short story is one of my all-time favourites.

Thank you!  :)
I taught a 'Crisis in the Middle East' class in my History lessons at the last school I taught at (to 17/18 year olds). One of the girls lent me a Joe Sacco book which was very hard hitting but excellent.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2016, 06:35:43 AM
Have you read Watchmen, Jeffrey? One of the greatest graphic novels ever written IMHO.

Just catching up with this thread John. I'm aware of it but haven't read it and will now look out for it. Thanks for the recommendation.  :)

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2016, 07:49:57 AM
Just catching up with this thread John. I'm aware of it but haven't read it and will now look out for it. Thanks for the recommendation.  :)
It's certainly a classic, Jeffrey.

Meanwhile, Calvin & Hobbes is a favourite comic, although it's not a graphic novel..

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

James

Armor Wars
Saga of the Swamp Thing
The Killing Joke
The Dark Knight Returns
A Death in the Family
The Cult
The Man of Steel
Rebirth of Thanos
The Infinity Gauntlet
Thanos Quest
Kraven's Last Hunt
Under Siege
Circle of Blood
Action is the only truth

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on September 15, 2016, 08:21:27 AM
It's certainly a classic, Jeffrey.

Meanwhile, Calvin & Hobbes is a favourite comic, although it's not a graphic novel..

Thank you!  :)

André

Maus is excellent. Pulitzer Prize. One of the very first graphic novels.

My favourite: Jeff Smith's Bone.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_(comics)

SimonNZ

Do the journalistic non-fiction ones count? I've enjoyed the likes of these:

Rinaldo

Quote from: SimonNZ on September 20, 2016, 04:19:16 PM
Do the journalistic non-fiction ones count? I've enjoyed the likes of these:

Of course! Sacco already got some (well-deserved) praise in this thread and I've read Delisle's Jerusalem, which was also very good.

SimonNZ

Ah, you're right. Sorry, I missed that. I'd be interested in recommendations of similar works that you or anyone know of.

NikF

Quote from: NikF on September 06, 2016, 03:24:09 PM
I've a long and narrow cardboard box which might contain some graphic novels. I don't know for sure because I have never looked inside it. There were originally four such boxes and the first three contained comic books and a couple of graphic novels. I gave them to a local charity shop.
When I get home I'll venture into the attic and have a look.

I'd forgot all about this... Anyway, as penance I've taken my life in my hands by climbing into the attic and bringing this 70cm long box back down.
The bad news is that it contains no graphic novels. It's all comic books as far as I can see. I've grabbed a couple at random in case anyone is interested in knowing what they are.

Most seem to feature scantily clad chicks. But there's some Batman and Superman stuff too. I emailed Iain and he said there were originally three, not four boxes and that they're from different decades. They all seem to be in little bags with pieces of cardboard. There's nothing written on the bags or on the cardboard or in the box. And now you know as much as I do. ;D
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread in 'The Diner' -

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2020, 07:47:33 PM
I have bought A LOT of graphic novels since my last hiatus. Here are a few highlights:

relm1

I really loved "Mars Attacks" over the top comics.  They're so much fun.  But I've come to realize the idea with comics is they always end with a cliff hanger.  I wanted to know what happens next and think I have the complete set.  Nothing else exists and it ends with a big lead up to a follow up that doesn't exist.   :'(

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on November 13, 2020, 04:11:42 PMI really loved "Mars Attacks" over the top comics.  They're so much fun.  But I've come to realize the idea with comics is they always end with a cliff hanger.  I wanted to know what happens next and think I have the complete set.  Nothing else exists and it ends with a big lead up to a follow up that doesn't exist.   :'(

Ah, so the series never finished? Yes, this happens, but it happens in TV shows, too, especially if they're suddenly cancelled. Like that Watchmen series on HBO. It had one season and ended on a cliffhanger. Damn them!