Fun reviews corner

Started by Lethevich, October 25, 2011, 03:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Just came across this one;

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-13068/

And you guys think I was calling Marin Alsop names...check out what the Hurwitzer calls our young conducting friend:

This isn't the sort of work you want to hear performed on the cheap by the Kazakhstan Philharmonic under flavor-of-the-month pretty boy conductor Nazgül Snezhek-Yéggun. Like a good chocolate truffle, if it isn't richly decadent and luxurious, it's just not worth the calories at any price.

PerfectWagnerite

Just to give this thread a bump...

Anyone seen this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTutmD40R9k&t=425s

Check out this comment below:

IS there a nanny goat in the room, or is that just Drucker? ONe of the worst tones ever in a major orchestra. Benny Goodman sounded better. Must have been those Rico reeds, old Stan was using.  Bernstein was the ONLY major conductor that put up with that HAM

Now I agree Druckner no way sounds liquid smooth like Robert Marcellus but to call him a HAM is stretching it a bit...

milk

I did not know where else to put this.
The title is

Eric Lu review – Leeds piano competition winner goes missing in action

Here's a sample of what's written:

"More worrying still was the sheer lack of personality in the playing, and the apparent absence of any affection for the music he had chosen to perform".

I don't know if this is a badly done review but it's a pan of concert by a young pianist. I was a little taken aback by this once I started to imagine what it might be like to be a young musician receiving this kind of reaction - especially in a major publication like the Guardian. I don't have a firm position one way or the other but it did make me wonder if this is really necessary. It's not like there aren't plenty of other concerts one can attend any night of the week. Why bother pooping on someone's career even if they are terrible? On the other hand, it IS a tough world and people want to know what they're getting for their money.
Still, I myself would have a hard time justifying printing this.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/10/eric-lu-review-wigmore-hall-london

Brian

Readership at MusicWeb has increased 50% since everyone in the US/UK/Europe started staying at home all the time.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2020, 08:55:02 AM
Readership at MusicWeb has increased 50% since everyone in the US/UK/Europe started staying at home all the time.

:laugh:  I've been on there a bit over the past week when I never am otherwise.

Que

Quote from: Brian on April 14, 2020, 08:55:02 AM

Nice!  :)

I used to be a frequent reader, now an occasional one.

If this leads to more people finding their way to more beautiful music, I'm all for it.  :) :)

Q

The new erato

I always check musicweb. The one consistent source of reviews I read, though my purchasing is way down. I have all the standard repertoire I need, and find it increasingly difficult to find new repertoire of interest (since I have a pretty extensive collection of the areas that interest me). F or example the number of new releases of interesting baroque operas not already available in good recordings has slowed to a trickle, though I found this recent aquisition very good and interesting:

Very different from the Italian Handel.

Brian

Classics Today is preparing to launch a new redesigned website in a few weeks.

Maestro267

Lemme guess... Hurwitz dot com?

Brian

I just found out that the reason our local (Dallas) classical music critic has so many wrong-headed opinions about chamber music being "overplayed," orchestras being "too loud," etc. - is that he is a Norrington follower who believes string musicians used vibrato only in the rarest of long notes until the 1920s! He just wrote that Mahler "went to his grave without ever hearing" string vibrato! ???

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on March 19, 2024, 12:49:16 PMI just found out that the reason our local (Dallas) classical music critic has so many wrong-headed opinions about chamber music being "overplayed," orchestras being "too loud," etc. - is that he is a Norrington follower who believes string musicians used vibrato only in the rarest of long notes until the 1920s! He just wrote that Mahler "went to his grave without ever hearing" string vibrato! ???
Woof!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on March 19, 2024, 12:49:16 PMI just found out that the reason our local (Dallas) classical music critic has so many wrong-headed opinions about chamber music being "overplayed," orchestras being "too loud," etc. - is that he is a Norrington follower who believes string musicians used vibrato only in the rarest of long notes until the 1920s! He just wrote that Mahler "went to his grave without ever hearing" string vibrato! ???

I wonder how he would explain the recordings left by Mahler acolytes like Bruno Walter (who premiered Das Lied von der Erde) and Klemperer.  I can't imagine either being bullied into playing the music other than the way they wanted to, or that they were slavish followers of some fashion that only started in the 1930s.  And there were thousands of musicians who lived and worked across that divide who supposedly all changed their playing style overnight.  This gets into Mud Flood levels of delusion.