The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Pieces that have blown you away recently

(1/348) > >>

arpeggio:
One of the biggest mistake a newbie makes is starting a thread that already exists.  So I checked this out so I hope this a new idea

My music library is based on breath instead of depth.  Instead of fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth I would prefer to have fifty recordings of different symphonies. 

Since I am always on the lookout for new composers and music one of my favorite threads in another forum is "Pieces that have blown you away recently".  This is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before or a new composer.

This would not be a thread for a person who already has fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth and he just acquired his fifty-first.  This thread is for a person who had never heard Beethoven's Fifth and his initial exposure to it was awesome.

I will start by talking about recent discovery for me.

I subscribe to the BBC Music Magazine.  One of the there CD's had some piano music of Ravel and Faure.  I am not a fan of Faure.  When the Faure train left the station I was not on it.  This recording of some of his barcarolles and nocturnes blew me away.  :)

Ken B:

--- Quote from: arpeggio on September 09, 2016, 01:36:58 PM ---One of the biggest mistake a newbie makes is starting a thread that already exists.  So I checked this out so I hope this a new idea

My music library is based on breath instead of depth.  Instead of fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth I would prefer to have fifty recordings of different symphonies. 

Since I am always on the lookout for new composers and music one of my favorite threads in another forum is "Pieces that have blown you away recently".  This is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before or a new composer.

This would not be a thread for a person who already has fifty recordings of Beethoven's Fifth and he just acquired his fifty-first.  This thread is for a person who had never heard Beethoven's Fifth and his initial exposure to it was awesome.

I will start by talking about recent discovery for me.

I subscribe to the BBC Music Magazine.  One of the there CD's had some piano music of Ravel and Faure.  I am not a fan of Faure.  When the Faure train left the station I was not on it.  This recording of some of his barcarolles and nocturnes blew me away.  :)

--- End quote ---

Try his string quartets. Any of his chamber music.

Rinaldo:
Blown away, hmm.. it's been awhile, but Luc Brewaeys' Talisker, courtesy of pjme's in memoriam thread

https://www.youtube.com/v/-CDkZ6TdHHQ

and before that, Henrico Albicastro's 12 Concerti a Quatro, which nobody seems to give a damn about, so I'm probably mad when I call this work a baroque masterpiece, on par with the greats:

https://www.youtube.com/v/uNvxFy_GtvQ

Andante:

--- Quote from: arpeggio on September 09, 2016, 01:36:58 PM ---

--- End quote ---

When I started my collection I would read as many reviews of a work that I could find and purchase the one considered best, eventually over time you will find a recording that is rated better and so I may make another purchase hence I do not have 100 of LvB 5th. It works for me  ;D

PerfectWagnerite:
Try LVB's late quartets, the harmonies, structure and dimensions are 100 yrs at least ahead of its times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version