Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2020, 08:22:15 AM
Cross-post from the WAYL2N thread

Earlier today, live on radio while driving, the Berlin PO concert

Mahler - Symphony No. 4

Kirill Petrenko (conductor), Christiane Karg (soprano)

I have never ever heard this symphony performed this way, almost chamberlike, almost like a concerto grosso alternating ripieno and concertino. The strangest version I've ever heard --- and also the best hands down. It charmed, touched and moved my soul as no other performance of this symphony I've ever heard. Desert island stuff. I hope they recorded it and will release it in the near future.

Sounds great. Of course, Kirill Petrenko is an extraordinarily gifted conductor, and Chistiane Karg is a marvellous soprano. Yes, let's hope they release the recording.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 01, 2020, 08:29:36 AM
Sounds great. Of course, Kirill Petrenko is an extraordinarily gifted conductor, and Chistiane Karg is a marvellous soprano. Yes, let's hope they release the recording.  :)

I tell you, I was literally blown away --- and I'm not even much of a Mahlerian.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

arpeggio

I have discovered another awsome composer in the Naxos Library  :)

arpeggio

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2020, 08:36:40 AM
I tell you, I was literally blown away --- and I'm not even much of a Mahlerian.

The only Mahler Symphony I have ever performed was the Fourth and it was an awesome experience.

Jo498

Quote from: Florestan on May 01, 2020, 08:22:15 AM
Cross-post from the WAYL2N thread

Earlier today, live on radio while driving, the Berlin PO concert

Mahler - Symphony No. 4

Kirill Petrenko (conductor), Christiane Karg (soprano)

I have never ever heard this symphony performed this way, almost chamberlike, almost like a concerto grosso alternating ripieno and concertino. The strangest version I've ever heard --- and also the best hands down. It charmed, touched and moved my soul as no other performance of this symphony I've ever heard. Desert island stuff. I hope they recorded it and will release it in the near future.

I have not heard it but if I understand correctly, it actually WAS a chamber (or at least reduced) orchestra version, partly because of the Corona distancing rules.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

André

I have that in the Linos Ensemble box on Caprice. Very nice.

TheGSMoeller

Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto. I first heard this piece around 20 years ago, but in the past few months I've been replaying it a lot, and it gets better and better with every listen. I believe it's one of the best wind instrument-concertos of the 20th century.  The piece was composed in 1993 and dedicated to James Bulger, a 2-year old boy that was murdered in Liverpool.
Geoffrey Norris of Gramophone said..."It expresses the shock and incomprehension that we all experienced at that appalling, senseless crime, but at the same time it enshrines the beauty and innocence of an infant life so cruelly snuffed out."

Both of these recordings are available to stream, and both are excellent.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2020, 05:32:55 AM
Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto. I first heard this piece around 20 years ago, but in the past few months I've been replaying it a lot, and it gets better and better with every listen. I believe it's one of the best wind instrument-concertos of the 20th century.  The piece was composed in 1993 and dedicated to James Bulger, a 2-year old boy that was murdered in Liverpool.
Geoffrey Norris of Gramophone said..."It expresses the shock and incomprehension that we all experienced at that appalling, senseless crime, but at the same time it enshrines the beauty and innocence of an infant life so cruelly snuffed out."

Both of these recordings are available to stream, and both are excellent.

Oh yes, I do remember this work. One of the greatest flute concertos ever.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Welcome back, Monkey Greg! I've missed seeing you around here.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 03, 2020, 11:22:51 AM
Welcome back, Monkey Greg! I've missed seeing you around here.

Hey there Mirror John! I hope you're well.
I hadn't posted in about 9-10 month period, but had still been spying on the thread for a bit  8)

AlberichUndHagen

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
Hey there Mirror John! I hope you're well.
I hadn't posted in about 9-10 month period, but had still been spying on the thread for a bit  8)

Excellent to hear, Greg. Welcome back, good sir!

arpeggio

New CD of music from one of my favorite living composers.

arpeggio

The BBC magazine had a CD of the music of Steve Reich that I have finally got around to listening to.

The CD had The Desert Music.

I normally do not care for minimalism but there was just something about this work that blew me away.

SergeCpp

Hello to all!

Quote from: arpeggio on September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PMThis is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before...

This thread is for a person who had never heard Beethoven's Fifth and his initial exposure to it was awesome.

Maybe I'd heard these works earlier but completely forgotten them. This is music of especial charm.

Haydn Piano Chamber Music — Haydn Trio Eisenstadt

Do not miss Adagio from Concertino C Major, Hob. XIV:12 (I've listened then several other interpretations of this piece and this remained most charming for me.)
There is a strangeness in simple things.

arpeggio

I have seen two Met broadcasts of operas of Adès': Tempest and Exterminating Angel

This is new recording of some of his piano works.  Some of them are interesting but the one that blew me away was In Seven Days, a work for piano and orchestra.

arpeggio

There are two standard works that I am embarrassed to admit I was unfamiliar with.

I have never been that impressed with the Symphonies of Schumann.  I have recently have been exposed to some of his chamber works that have blown me away.  The latest is the Piano Trio in F major, Op. 80.

As a wind player I am really embarrassed to admit that I have just discovered the Weber Clarinet Quintet in Bb major, Op. 34.

This is what is so great about classical music.  No matter how much you know it is still possible to discover new works.

Total Rafa

Quote from: arpeggio on May 10, 2020, 05:18:21 PM
I have seen two Met broadcasts of operas of Adès': Tempest and Exterminating Angel

This is new recording of some of his piano works.  Some of them are interesting but the one that blew me away was In Seven Days, a work for piano and orchestra.

There is now a recording of his recent piano concerto. Big, bold music.

arpeggio

Quote from: Total Rafa on May 11, 2020, 02:15:37 AM
There is now a recording of his recent piano concerto. Big, bold music.

I found the Concerto in the Naxos Music Library website.

I am listening to as I am typing this. 

Awesome. 

Thanks  ;)