Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Recently I've been blown away by Dvořák's Te Deum. What a fantastic work. Also, another Dvořák work that blew me away was the Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81. I'm constantly finding works from this composer that either hit me over the head like a ton of bricks or enter in my ear canals and live there for a month (i. e. earworms).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2020, 02:59:36 PM
Recently I've been blown away by Dvořák's Te Deum. What a fantastic work. Also, another Dvořák work that blew me away was the Piano Quintet in A major, Op. 81. I'm constantly finding works from this composer that either hit me over the head like a ton of bricks or enter in my ear canals and live there for a month (i. e. earworms).

I love that Te Deum too. My favorite recording is this:

That timpani pounding marks a great opening for a stunning work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 11, 2020, 03:06:13 PM
I love that Te Deum too. My favorite recording is this:

That timpani pounding marks a great opening for a stunning work.

That's the recording I own. 8) It's in the blue box set of Dvořák's sacred works and cantatas on Supraphon.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 24, 2020, 03:35:40 PM
Lydia Auster (1912-1933), an Estonian composer. Piano Concerto No. 1 in G major. Is there anything more devastatingly beautiful? Very sensitive indeed, but masterly written too. Not apt for ultra-romantic allergic!  ;D

Pizzetti, Tubin, Rachmaninov, Vaughan Williams, Puccini, the very romantic Marx, even Korngold and Sibelius, are names whom I can associate this splendorous concerto in style. What a find.

It's even more astonishing is that is from Kazakh origins the composer.

A Youtube link is provided there to enjoy it if you're 'adventurous'.  8)

Very recommended.

A lovely work indeed! One of many fantastic piano&orchestra works by women composers that I've discovered (Beach, Bosmans, N. Boulanger, Garuta, Gipps, Kuzmenko, Levina, Tailleferre, etc).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Pretty much this whole disc --- every work:

Tveitt taps into that folky idiom that I love so dearly but yet, like any composer with such an individual voice, puts his own spin on it. This music is wonderfully atmospheric and I'm completely drawn into the sonic world the music inhabits. The entire Tveitt series on BIS is definitely worth exploring.

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2020, 05:32:55 AM
Christopher Rouse's Flute Concerto. I first heard this piece around 20 years ago, but in the past few months I've been replaying it a lot, and it gets better and better with every listen. I believe it's one of the best wind instrument-concertos of the 20th century.  The piece was composed in 1993 and dedicated to James Bulger, a 2-year old boy that was murdered in Liverpool.
Geoffrey Norris of Gramophone said..."It expresses the shock and incomprehension that we all experienced at that appalling, senseless crime, but at the same time it enshrines the beauty and innocence of an infant life so cruelly snuffed out."

Both of these recordings are available to stream, and both are excellent.

A great work indeed. The slow movement is devastatingly moving.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 22, 2020, 01:08:09 PM
A great work indeed. The slow movement is devastatingly moving.

+ 1

Symphonic Addict

Speaking of moving music, I thought I should post this work here: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! This is such a gorgeous piece of music. It brought some tears to my eyes, and the folk element of the music is incredibly vivid. A real find thank Jeffrey for recommending it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 22, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
Speaking of moving music, I thought I should post this work here: Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! This is such a gorgeous piece of music. It brought some tears to my eyes, and the folk element of the music is incredibly vivid. A real find thank Jeffrey for recommending it.

Eshpai is a very cool composer, indeed and, like you, I have our Jeffrey to thank for the introduction.

Mirror Image

Currently, I'm being blown away by every Glazunov work I hear.

vandermolen

And I'm being blown away by this:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

FelixSkodi

T. D.

Recently discovered the music of David Diamond. String Quartet # 4 from

though the other 2 pieces on the disc are not exactly chopped liver.

Mirror Image

Weinberg's Clarinet Concerto has definitely knocked my socks off and while I do like the Chandos recording, I have to say the directness and aural impact from this Naxos recording is even better:

kyjo

Quote from: T. D. on May 28, 2020, 07:43:03 AM
Recently discovered the music of David Diamond. String Quartet # 4 from

though the other 2 pieces on the disc are not exactly chopped liver.

I was blown away by Diamond's 3rd quartet recently (the only quartet of his I know yet). It dates from his early tonal/modal period and shares its language with the first four symphonies. What a sublime work it is, flowing and lyrical but often with a melancholy undertone, especially in the extended final slow movement, which is all the more poignant for its understated tone. I'm sure Jeffrey, Cesar, MI, etc. would all enjoy this work very much if they don't know it already:

https://youtu.be/jWw-gFnmiw4

[asin]B000063CO4[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2020, 01:24:41 PM
I was blown away by Diamond's 3rd quartet recently (the only quartet of his I know yet). It dates from his early tonal/modal period and shares its language with the first four symphonies. What a sublime work it is, flowing and lyrical but often with a melancholy undertone, especially in the extended final slow movement, which is all the more poignant for its understated tone. I'm sure Jeffrey, Cesar, MI, etc. would all enjoy this work very much if they don't know it already:

https://youtu.be/jWw-gFnmiw4

[asin]B000063CO4[/asin]

Oh yes, it's a fantastic work, Kyle. I enjoy it very much. Those earlier Diamond works are just so fantastic.

arpeggio

The only work I am familiar with by Kurt Weill is the Three Penny Opera and some of his songs.

I was listening to a performance of his Second Symphony on Sirius Radio with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  Impressive.

kyjo

Quote from: arpeggio on June 03, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
The only work I am familiar with by Kurt Weill is the Three Penny Opera and some of his songs.

I was listening to a performance of his Second Symphony on Sirius Radio with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  Impressive.

Weill's 2nd Symphony is a wonderful work, overall quite serious in tone but with his customary sardonic wit prevalent in some passages. There's also some lovely lyrical sections, which oddly enough reminded me a bit of Malcolm Arnold! I was fortunate to hear a live performance of the work by the Pittsburgh Symphony a couple years ago - a riveting experience!

arpeggio

Since I have become a member of the Naxos Music Library I am discovering all sorts of new music, even by older composers.

I have just discovered the symphonies of Carl Reinecke.   Very impressive.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: arpeggio on June 04, 2020, 06:21:07 PM
Since I have become a member of the Naxos Music Library I am discovering all sort of new music, even by older composers.

I have just discovered the symphonies of Carl Reinecke.   Very impressive.

I remember hearing those symphonies and being impressed by the No. 2 in C minor (sometimes called Hakon Jarl). The beginning of it is so gothic and somber. Very effective. The slow movement is lovely and memorable.

Noam Chomsky