Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2020, 01:24:41 PM
I was blown away by Diamond's 3rd quartet recently (the only quartet of his I know yet). It dates from his early tonal/modal period and shares its language with the first four symphonies. What a sublime work it is, flowing and lyrical but often with a melancholy undertone, especially in the extended final slow movement, which is all the more poignant for its understated tone. I'm sure Jeffrey, Cesar, MI, etc. would all enjoy this work very much if they don't know it already:

https://youtu.be/jWw-gFnmiw4

[asin]B000063CO4[/asin]

I think that I have it in my collection (somewhere  ::)) so will look it out as I love Diamond's music of that period.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Quote from: arpeggio on June 03, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
The only work I am familiar with by Kurt Weill is the Three Penny Opera and some of his songs.

I was listening to a performance of his Second Symphony on Sirius Radio with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  Impressive.
We briefly touched Weill's instrumental works a few weeks ago. I think the 2nd symphony is closest to the Weill we know from the Three Penny Oper and similar works but the violin concerto (with only wind orchestra) seems to me the most convincing. The 1st symphony is also interesting but very early and not only a little rough.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

I revisited today the CPO disc of Weinberg's Chamber Music for Woodwinds. It's a nice disc, but the last work, "Trio for Flute, Viola and Harp" Op. 127 sounded really exciting! The instruments live their own life, but still form coherent music.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

knight66

https://youtu.be/gPN2eN2GDHo

I have been listening most days recently to the new Vikingour Olafsson, (Surely the coolest ever name.), disc of Debussy and Rameau. I believe it really is a special disc. A deal of it was new to me and I so enjoy how he leads us between the composers finding correspondences. I find the atmosphere Created is rather Zen-like, which I am currently very grateful for.

One highlight is the track which gives its subtitle name to the disc, The Arts and the Hours, an arrangement Olafsson made from a Rameau piece of orchestral music.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

some guy

Quote from: Jo498 on June 04, 2020, 11:54:34 PM
The 1st symphony is also interesting but very early and not only a little rough.
Just for the record, I have found the 1st symphony vastly more rewarding than either "also interesting" or "not only a little rough."

Why, I think I'll just give that a spin right now, as I have the technology.

Also, for thread duty, I'll report that my continuing story of ripping my old cds continues to toss up jewels from the past, many of them that were decidedly not precious then but are quite zippy now. An Alvin Curran disc that I never liked much but which is quite cool, a Paul-Heinz Dittrich disc that left me cold for years but that has some very satisfying music on it, an old Czajkowski synth thing that never did much for me that is now perfectly sweet and fun.

Curran: Electric Rags II
Dittrich: Concert avec plusieurs instruments nr. IV, Action-Reaction, and ETYM
Czajkowski: People the sky

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2020, 11:41:35 PM
I think that I have it in my collection (somewhere  ::)) so will look it out as I love Diamond's music of that period.

You really should, Jeffrey. Diamond 3rd SQ is a masterpiece! One of the best SQs I've ever heard and that's no joke because I've heard a ton of them.

Symphonic Addict

The Piano Concerto by Carl Vine. I loved this work instantly. There is such drive and energy in the outer movements, whilst the 2nd one features some of the most dreamy music. The heart of the piece with no doubts. A splendid work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 06, 2020, 06:30:36 PM
The Piano Concerto by Carl Vine. I loved this work instantly. There is such drive and energy in the outer movements, whilst the 2nd one features some of the most dreamy music. The heart of the piece with no doubts. A splendid piece.

Very nice. Do check out his symphonies and the Oboe Concerto if you haven't already done so, Cesar. The SQs are pretty darn good, too.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2020, 09:53:01 AM
You really should, Jeffrey. Diamond 3rd SQ is a masterpiece! One of the best SQs I've ever heard and that's no joke because I've heard a ton of them.
I only have one Diamond Quartet CD -- 2, 9, 10.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on June 07, 2020, 07:22:23 PM
I only have one Diamond Quartet CD -- 2, 9, 10.

You definitely should give the 3rd SQ a listen, Paul! Here's a link to a video on YouTube (at least you'll be able to listen to it):

https://www.youtube.com/v/0fGNz4vcV0M

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if I posted this here (it may have been erased due to the forum crash), but I'll post it again.

This particular symphony from Malipiero almost had me on the verge of tears many nights ago (something that doesn't happen very often):

https://www.youtube.com/v/h0UmbIXcCMI

This performance is better than both Naxos recordings. I remember buying this recording and I felt an instant connection with the performance. It does have a bit of a reverberance and it's a live recording, but the performance itself is deeply felt and any of the sonic shortcomings can be forgiven.

relm1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 06, 2020, 06:30:36 PM
The Piano Concerto by Carl Vine. I loved this work instantly. There is such drive and energy in the outer movements, whilst the 2nd one features some of the most dreamy music. The heart of the piece with no doubts. A splendid work.

I don't think I've heard anything of his I disliked.  Very fine composer.  His symphonies are all excellent too!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on June 08, 2020, 05:40:58 AM
I don't think I've heard anything of his I disliked.  Very fine composer.  His symphonies are all excellent too!

Yes, the symphonies don't disappoint at all. Other members have recommended the Piano Sonata No. 1, the Oboe Concerto and the String Quartets, so there is much more music to enjoy by him!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Papy Oli

Holmboe - 7th - Presto.

There.

As you were.

8)
Olivier

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 09, 2020, 06:27:28 AM
Holmboe - 7th - Presto.

There.

As you were.

8)
Now try 5, 6, 7 and 8 in a row and you will be blown to pieces!  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Papy Oli

I have been through 1st to 8th so far, was only underwhelmed by 4th & 6th but definitely was intrigued or enjoyed the rest on first listen. Promising composer and cycle so far.
Olivier

Crudblud

Haydn's Op. 54 quartets. I mean, I've been enjoying my journey through his major works in the genre so far, but these seem uniquely eccentric.

Mirror Image

Rimsky-Korsakov's Symphony No. 2, "Antar" blew my mind last night, especially the Svetlanov performance on Melodiya.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2020, 12:58:05 PM
Rimsky-Korsakov's Symphony No. 2, "Antar" blew my mind last night, especially the Svetlanov performance on Melodiya.

A wonderful symphony. An excellent alternative to the most famous Scheherazade. Even some prefer it over the latter, and I couldn't disagree with that.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 14, 2020, 01:02:57 PM
A wonderful symphony. An excellent alternative to the most famous Scheherazade. Even some prefer it over the latter, and I couldn't disagree with that.

Yes, indeed. I do love Scheherazade, but R-K wrote so much good music that it'd be foolish of me to just focus on this one work.