Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Today I was blown away by Shchedrin's Cello Concerto, "sotto voce concerto". What a brooding and haunting work. I'm starting to understand what makes Shchedrin's music so unique to him and it can be found in his treatment of not only the musical material but also the why it's constructed. It has some of lingering sadness you hear in a work of his like Concerto for Orchestra No. 5, "Four Russian Songs".

T. D.

Yesterday watched (live, Zoom) a super performance of Rzewski's Which Side Are You On? by Conrad Tao. I previously knew nothing about Tao, but I definitely want to hear more from him.

Mirror Image

Another Shchedrin work that has blown me away: Russian Photographs.

arpeggio

This shows how one can change.

It has been decades since I have tried to listen to Boulez's Le marteau sans maître.  The last time I tried to listen to it, it entered my left ear, rattled around my brain and left by the right ear.

I am listening to the following new recording:

This time my ear get's it.  What a fascinating work.  Maybe I am finally hearing a decent performance.

Mirror Image

I have been blown away by Eshpai's Symphony No. 4. What a composer! I remember several years ago I bought six recordings of Eshpai's music and none of them have been disappointing. I believe it was through Jeffrey (Vandermolen) that I discovered this composer's music. I'm such a Russophile in terms of their musical heritage (not their political one), so I'm rather surprised I hadn't discovered Eshpai earlier.

TheGSMoeller

Copland: Appalachian Spring - Complete Score
I feel as if I've heard this work maybe 100 times, in full or at least parts of it. My high school even performed it one year in marching band. I know this work. Rather I know the suite of Appalachian Spring, which I do enjoy, but certainty never at a level higher than enjoy. And embarrassingly it's taken me decades to get to the complete version, but I just had the thrill of hearing this piece for the first time, again! Even though there is only about a difference of 10 minutes of music between the complete score and suite, I feel that added time draws the tone of the work to a darker, more expansive atmosphere. The biggest revelation though was how the variations of the shaker tune "Simple Gifts" differs compared to the suite. First, the theme is slowly introduced by the violins rather than the chirpy clarinet, this affect was more fluid to my ears, and a lovelier introduction to the section. And the final variation, the slower-climactic variation, of Simple Gifts is separated from the previous variations. Those minutes of separation made that climactic variation more impactful, more meaningful to me than in the suite.

I've never been a big listener of Copland, I've always found his best music to be in his quieter, more lyrical moments of Quiet City, or Corral Nocturne, but the complete score of Appalachian has really opened my ears to something new.

And for reference I listened to MTT/SFS on RCA, a great performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 18, 2020, 06:39:02 PM
I feel as if I've heard this work maybe 100 times, in full or at least parts of it. My high school even performed it one year in marching band. I know this work. Rather I know the suite of Appalachian Spring, which I do enjoy, but certainty never at a level higher than enjoy. And embarrassingly it's taken me decades to get to the complete version, but I just had the thrill of hearing this piece for the first time, again! Even though there is only about a difference of 10 minutes of music between the complete score and suite, I feel that added time draws the tone of the work to a darker, more expansive atmosphere. The biggest revelation though was how the variations of the shaker tune "Simple Gifts" differs compared to the suite. First, the theme is slowly introduced by the violins rather than the chirpy clarinet, this affect was more fluid to my ears, and a lovelier introduction to the section. And the final variation, the slower-climactic variation, of Simple Gifts is separated from the previous variations. Those minutes of separation made that climactic variation more impactful, more meaningful to me than in the suite.

I've never been a big listener of Copland, I've always found his best music to be in his quieter, more lyrical moments of Quiet City, or Corral Nocturne, but the complete score of Appalachian has really opened my ears to something new.

Good to see you've come around to Appalachian Spring, Greg. Which, IMHO, is one of Copland's masterpieces. What do you think of the original version for chamber ensemble? For me, I love both versions for different reasons. Also, if you haven't seen MTT's Keeping Score on Copland, then check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ix2xIl2XVro

My affection for this work goes all the way back to when I was a kid in the 80s. I remember hearing this work performed on PBS as some sort of a special event, I can't recall what the occasion was, but I remember being rather enchanted with it's loveliness and beauty.

Special edit: I also heard Copland's Rodeo or, the movement from Rodeo, Hoe-Down, in a 'Beef, It's What's For Dinner' commercial. I may be misremembering what the actual commercial was.

Edit No. 2: Okay, I remembered correctly. :)

https://www.youtube.com/v/tviyAIS9c_U

Karl Henning

Quote from: arpeggio on June 17, 2020, 08:57:03 PM
This shows how one can change.

It has been decades since I have tried to listen to Boulez's Le marteau sans maître.  The last time I tried to listen to it, it entered my left ear, rattled around my brain and left by the right ear.

I am listening to the following new recording:

This time my ear get's it.  What a fascinating work.  Maybe I am finally hearing a decent performance.

Très cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 18, 2020, 06:39:02 PM

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

I was utterly impressed by the Double Concerto for oboe and harp by Lutoslawski. This is a unique creation. Once again, this composer, to my ears, manages to conjure up some bizarre soundscape that is just mesmerizing. I find his style engrossing to say the least. The oboist must be a thoroughly skilled musician to play this, there are passages of sheer craziness. All in all, what a discovery!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2020, 03:58:11 PM

I was utterly impressed by the Double Concerto for oboe and harp by Lutoslawski. This is a unique creation. Once again, this composer, to my ears, manages to conjure up some bizarre soundscape that is just mesmerizing. I find his style engrossing to say the least. The oboist must be a thoroughly skilled musician to play this, there are passages of sheer craziness. All in all, what a discovery!

Very cool, Cesar. I like so much of Lutosławski's music. His attention to color and texture are out-of-this-world. What do you think about his compatriot's music, Panufnik?

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2020, 04:06:21 PM
Very cool, Cesar. I like so much of Lutosławski's music. His attention to color and texture are out-of-this-world. What do you think about his compatriot's music, Panufnik?

I'm not too familiar with his music, John, but in terms of originality, Lutoslawski leads by a wide margin IMO. What works do you recommend by Panufnik? I've heard his symphonies and string quartets so far.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2020, 08:05:16 PM
I'm not too familiar with his music, John, but in terms of originality, Lutoslawski leads by a wide margin IMO. What works do you recommend by Panufnik? I've heard his symphonies and string quartets so far.

One of the most moving works from Panufnik, IMHO, is Autumn Music. The CPO recording does this work full justice, IMHO. I've heard a few that don't quite get the balances right.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2020, 08:09:51 PM
One of the most moving works from Panufnik, IMHO, is Autumn Music. The CPO recording does this work full justice, IMHO. I've heard a few that don't quite get the balances right.

Thank you, John. That will be a reason to revisit his music.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2020, 08:16:13 PM
Thank you, John. That will be a reason to revisit his music.

My pleasure, Cesar. I hope you enjoy this work as much as I have.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 17, 2020, 09:04:33 PM
I have been blown away by Eshpai's Symphony No. 4. What a composer! I remember several years ago I bought six recordings of Eshpai's music and none of them have been disappointing. I believe it was through Jeffrey (Vandermolen) that I discovered this composer's music. I'm such a Russophile in terms of their musical heritage (not their political one), so I'm rather surprised I hadn't discovered Eshpai earlier.
I'm glad that you're enjoying Eshpai's music John and thumbs up for Shchedrin's Cello Concerto as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 21, 2020, 01:54:42 AM
I'm glad that you're enjoying Eshpai's music John and thumbs up for Shchedrin's Cello Concerto as well.

Yes, indeed. I really need to get back to listening to Eshpai, because there's still a good bit I haven't heard from my collection (all of those Albany releases for example).

DaveF

Walton: Variations on a theme by Hindemith - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Litton.  I don't know how I've missed out on this one - was vaguely aware that it used the theme from the finale of the Mathis symphony, but no more.  The opening, while not presenting the theme at all in the way Hindemith does, nevertheless manages in its orchestration to sound exactly like him.  And every variation that follows seems to be similarly brilliantly orchestrated.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

kyjo

Quote from: DaveF on June 21, 2020, 11:10:31 AM
Walton: Variations on a theme by Hindemith - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Litton.  I don't know how I've missed out on this one - was vaguely aware that it used the theme from the finale of the Mathis symphony, but no more.  The opening, while not presenting the theme at all in the way Hindemith does, nevertheless manages in its orchestration to sound exactly like him.  And every variation that follows seems to be similarly brilliantly orchestrated.

Yes, a very fine work. One of many examples of Walton's genius!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

There are several works on the CD that are new to me.

The Ewazen Celestial Dances was the one the blew me away.

[asin] B004DIPLSG[/asin]