Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 18, 2020, 09:34:06 AM
First time listening to Lithuanian born composer Onutė Narbutaitė (b. 1956). The piece was Three Symphonies of the Mother of God (2003), from the recording below. Her music creates such a beautiful, and mysterious atmosphere. Filled with colorful orchestrations, and a hauntingly sounding choir. I just ordered the CD, and am ready to explore more of her music.
Anyone here familiar with Narbutaitė?

Sounds interesting, Greg! Thanks for bringing her to our attention.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

I'll go ahead and say I'm blown away by Walton's Symphony No. 1 in B♭ minor yet again (the Previn/LSO performance).

Symphonic Addict

Two impressive pieces:

Mosolov: String Quartet No. 1

When I first heard his Piano Concerto No. 1 I was blown away, and today the same effect was on me but thank this truly spicy piece. Both its harmonic and rhythmic language are striking. I had thought that Janacek and Bartók's quartets had no rivals for me, but on hearing the Mosolov I think I could add to the list of the greatest ones.

Lundquist: Symphony No. 4 Sinfonia ecologica

I must say this is the greatest and most epic symphony I've heard recently. From the imposing beginning with timpani and bells you are hooked. It's a very busy work with lots of drama and intensity. 45 minutes very well spent.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

Boris Papandopulo.

New composer for my and new music.

Both socks get knocked off.  CPO has released other CD's of his music.

[asin]B01NB20S4K[/asin]

Mirror Image

Koechlin's Viola Sonata...wow, just so so gorgeous.

André

All the works here are superb, but Widmer's concerto for piano, percussion and orchestra is simply amazing.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on July 23, 2020, 09:47:11 PM
Boris Papandopulo.

New composer for my and new music.

Both socks get knocked off.  CPO has released other CD's of his music.

[asin]B01NB20S4K[/asin]

Haven't heard of that composer before now, but since it was a two-sock-knock-off, I'll have to look into it Charlie Brown.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Mozart - String Quartet No. 4 in C major KV 157, 3rd Movement: Presto

It's stuck in my head ever since I've heard it for the first time a few days ago (Heutling Quartet).

https://www.youtube.com/v/wwQKvIUUwzs

The Hagens take it rather Prestissimo, but still --- pure genius, pure bliss.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

arpeggio

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2020, 10:12:59 AM
Haven't heard of that composer before now, but since it was a two-sock-knock-off, I'll have to look into it Charlie Brown.  ;)

PD

I have listened to some of his other works on the Naxos Library and the Piano Concerto is the best.

arpeggio

I have had a lot of luck with new music lately.

The latest is the Lyell Cresswell, a composer from New Zealand.

Fascinating non-tonal composer.

[asin]B00HFDKSXE[/asin]

André

Schreker's Der Schatzgräber (The Treasure Hunter) is unabashedly sensual and late-romantic in idiom, symbolist and expressionist in argument. It's quite a treat in this excellent production from the Netherlands Opera. The composer is a recent discovery for me (about 2018 I guess) and everything I've heard so far is nothing but spectacularly good. This is the second opera of his I listen to, after Der Ferne Klang. I have Flammen on my pile and just ordered Die Gezeichneten (The Stigmatized), his 'scandal piece' on DVD. I look forward to more yummy discoveries from Schreker  :).

kyjo

R. Nathaniel Dett: The Ordering of Moses

[asin]B01DXGD5G8[/asin]

WOW!!! Just wow!!! How such an incredible oratorio (stylized a "Biblical Folk Scene" by the composer) by this African-American composer (1882-1943) could have languished in obscurity for so long is a mystery. This is really superb, soulful, and thrilling music and is worthy of comparison with the great choral-orchestral masterworks of the 20th century. One can hear the influence of spirituals on Dett's melodic writing as well an undoubted mastery of orchestration. It's a shame that Dett hardly wrote any more large-scale works, apparently. Fortunately, the performance and recording here are fantastic. Certainly one of my discoveries of the year so far! See Rob Barnett's enthusiastic review:

http://musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Jul/Dett_Moses_9462.htm
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

arpeggio

Danny Elfman has been branching out into concert music.  This CD contains the first concert music of his that I have heard.  This is not what I expected and it blew me away.

[asin]B07MCDXXJD[/asin]

arpeggio

Another CD I discovered on the Naxos Music Library that blew me away:

[asin]B00I0BTI3G[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 18, 2020, 03:38:32 PM

WOW!!! Poulenc's Organ Concerto on this recording is cracking!!! I had not heard a more tremendous performance of this masterpiece before. There were several goosebump-inducing moments throughout. I'm in awe with this work!!
Looks like a very nice compilation of works Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on July 27, 2020, 05:39:01 PM
Danny Elfman has been branching out into concert music.  This CD contains the first concert music of his that I have heard.  This is not what I expected and it blew me away.

[asin]B07MCDXXJD[/asin]
Oh, neat!  I've admired his cinematic music for years.  :) I found this (and watched it on youtube) about the making of his violin concerto.  Quite interesting!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgwUVcSwzc

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 18, 2020, 03:38:32 PM

WOW!!! Poulenc's Organ Concerto on this recording is cracking!!! I had not heard a more tremendous performance of this masterpiece before. There were several goosebump-inducing moments throughout. I'm in awe with this work!!

It's been posted on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/oohn-xMnC6o

Maestro267

Quote from: arpeggio on July 24, 2020, 07:44:10 PM
I have had a lot of luck with new music lately.

The latest is the Lyell Cresswell, a composer from New Zealand.

Fascinating non-tonal composer.

[asin]B00HFDKSXE[/asin]

I've had this disc for a few years, and although it's not in regular rotation, I do very much enjoy it every time I listen to it.

relm1

Quote from: arpeggio on July 27, 2020, 05:39:01 PM

[asin]B07MCDXXJD[/asin]

You might also like his Symphony then too.