Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Thierry Escaich (b. 1965)
Fantaisie concertante pour piano et orchestre

This is a great and exciting piano concertante work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmh2k-wJvX4

vers la flamme

Luciano Berio's Sinfonia, which I only heard in full for the first time this past week. Wow!! A truly phenomenal work.

ritter

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 31, 2020, 03:43:40 AM
Luciano Berio's Sinfonia, which I only heard in full for the first time this past week. Wow!! A truly phenomenal work.
Isn't it? And not just the justly famous and endlessly fascinating third movement...I particularly like the second section of Sinfonia, O King. It's well worth getting to know it in its original version for solo voice and ensemble (I had the chance to hear it live many years ago, my first encounter with Berio's music in concert). Really beautiful.

It's available in these discs (there's another couple of recordings as well):

arpeggio

I realize that most of the members are familiar with the symphonies of Allan Pettersson.  I was unfamiliar with his music.  I checked out his Ninth Symphony on the Naxos Music Library Website.
Wow! I have to check out the rest of his music.

[asin]B00GP90AVY[/asin]

Maestro267

Quote from: arpeggio on July 31, 2020, 09:19:58 PM
I realize that most of the members are familiar with the symphonies of Allan Pettersson.  I was unfamiliar with his music.  I checked out his Ninth Symphony on the Naxos Music Library Website.
Wow! I have to check out the rest of his music.

Judging from what I've read here and in other places, starting at the Ninth seems to be going in at the deep end. I haven't reached there yet, but after this almost everything else (bar No. 13) should be a relative stroll in the park.

arpeggio

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 01, 2020, 12:28:58 AM
Judging from what I've read here and in other places, starting at the Ninth seems to be going in at the deep end. I haven't reached there yet, but after this almost everything else (bar No. 13) should be a relative stroll in the park.

I hope I will not be disappointed in the others.

I had an interesting experience with the symphonies of George Lloyd.  The very first one of his that I heard was the seventh.  It blew me away.  Although his other symphonies were OK, none of them packed the wallop of the seventh.  It still is my favorite work by Lloyd.   

Symphonic Addict

Symphonische Hymnen (a concerto for orchestra in all but name) is a masterpiece of first categories. Vibrant rhythms, masterly in form and musical coherence, cogent orchestration, gripping atmosphere, that portrays quite dramatic moods at times, and I could say moving in a sort of way at others. Just the 1st movement is wonderful already and I'm utterly impressed by it! With what you already know, you can identify good or bad stuff, and for me this work lies into the first category. A very exciting creation.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Joaquin Rodrigo - Per la flor del lliri blau

For the Flower of the Blue Lily: a gorgeously tuneful, lushly orchestrated tone poem* alternating ominous fanfares, lyrical chamber-like strings and luminous woodwinds, at times superposing them all. A magical work which inhabits a completely different soundworld than that which made Rodrigo famous; actually, had I not known the composer beforehand I wouldn't have guessed him at all. Rodrigo in Late Romantic guise (and that, in 1934!). A sheer delight from start to finish.

Cesar, Kyle --- do give it a try.

* based on a Valencian legend in which the three sons of a dying king go in search of a blue lily whose magic powers can save their father. The outcome is successful but tragic, as the son who finds it is killed by the other two.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZY6tWfN1Mc0

This is not the version I've listened to but it has a good commentary on the work, including Rodrigo's own words about it.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 05:55:08 AM

For the Flower of the Blue Lily: a gorgeously tuneful, lushly orchestrated tone poem* alternating ominous fanfares, lyrical chamber-like strings and luminous woodwinds, at times superposing them all. A magical work which inhabits a completely different soundworld than that which made Rodrigo famous; actually, had I not known the composer beforehand I wouldn't have guessed him at all. Rodrigo in Late Romantic guise (and that, in 1934!). A sheer delight from start to finish.

* based on a Valencian legend in which the three sons of a dying king go in search of a blue lily whose magic powers can save their father. The outcome is successful but tragic, as the son who finds it is killed by the other two.

This is not the version I've listened to but it has a good commentary on the work, including Rodrigo's own words about it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I explored Rodrigo's orchestral works long time ago and I do recall being delighted by that tone poem and other pieces.

Another work I consider lovely and touching is Zarabanda lejana y Villancico. Do you know it, Andrei? Very worth your time I suspect.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 16, 2020, 09:09:19 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I explored Rodrigo's orchestral works long time ago and I do recall being delighted by that tone poem and other pieces.

Great!

Another work I consider lovely and touching is Zarabanda lejana y Villancico. Do you know it, Andrei? Very worth your time I suspect.

Do not know it, Cesar! Duly noted for an asap listening.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 15, 2020, 05:00:42 PM

Symphonische Hymnen (a concerto for orchestra in all but name) is a masterpiece of first categories. Vibrant rhythms, masterly in form and musical coherence, cogent orchestration, gripping atmosphere, that portrays quite dramatic moods at times, and I could say moving in a sort of way at others. Just the 1st movement is wonderful already and I'm utterly impressed by it! With what you already know, you can identify good or bad stuff, and for me this work lies into the first category. A very exciting creation.

Very cool, Cesar. Having been very impressed by Hartmann's 6th Symphony recently, I'm keen to explore more of his music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 05:55:08 AM

Thanks, Andrei - will do. I'm not familiar with Rodrigo's output outside his concerti.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2020, 09:15:28 AM
Thanks, Andrei - will do. I'm not familiar with Rodrigo's output outside his concerti.

The Cello Concerto, Violin Concerto and Flute Concerto are on a par with the famous Guitar ones, maybe even better imho.

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 09:26:21 AM
The Cello Concerto, Violin Concerto and Flute Concerto are on a par with the famous Guitar ones, maybe even better imho.
Let's not forget the Harp Concerto!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Quote from: arpeggio on August 01, 2020, 08:14:34 AM

I had an interesting experience with the symphonies of George Lloyd.  The very first one of his that I heard was the seventh.  It blew me away.  Although his other symphonies were OK, none of them packed the wallop of the seventh.  It still is my favorite work by Lloyd.
I only had one casual listening to the 7th. I will give it an attentive listening tomorrow!

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on August 16, 2020, 09:36:39 AM
Let's not forget the Harp Concerto!

How could I forget it? Too much Jidvei* perhaps.  ;)

* google it

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 09:47:55 AM
How could I forget it? Too much Jidvei* perhaps.  ;)

* google it
I can use a glass of Jidvei Reisling now!

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on August 16, 2020, 09:53:15 AM
I can use a glass of Jidvei Reisling now!

Here's my last glass of Jidvei Gewürztraminer this evening to you and all your loved ones! Stay safe!

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 09:26:21 AM

Also, the Piano Concerto Concierto heroico is excellent IIRC. Btw, he wrote two cello concerti - Concierto in modo galante and Concierto como un Divertimento. I've heard one of them, can't remember which...

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on August 16, 2020, 09:39:36 AM
I only had one casual listening to the 7th. I will give it an attentive listening tomorrow!

Please do report back with your thoughts! ;)