Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on August 28, 2020, 08:38:42 AM
Dutilleux is not a prolific composer. Every work he puts out is a gem. No duds.

+1
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 16, 2020, 05:55:08 AM
Joaquin Rodrigo - Per la flor del lliri blau

For the Flower of the Blue Lily: a gorgeously tuneful, lushly orchestrated tone poem* alternating ominous fanfares, lyrical chamber-like strings and luminous woodwinds, at times superposing them all. A magical work which inhabits a completely different soundworld than that which made Rodrigo famous; actually, had I not known the composer beforehand I wouldn't have guessed him at all. Rodrigo in Late Romantic guise (and that, in 1934!). A sheer delight from start to finish.

Cesar, Kyle --- do give it a try.

* based on a Valencian legend in which the three sons of a dying king go in search of a blue lily whose magic powers can save their father. The outcome is successful but tragic, as the son who finds it is killed by the other two.

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZY6tWfN1Mc0

This is not the version I've listened to but it has a good commentary on the work, including Rodrigo's own words about it.

Hi Andrei, I gave this work a listen and enjoyed it very much indeed. It's rather episodic perhaps, but possessing some lovely lyrical writing near the beginning and becoming quite exciting in the central section. I'm with you in that I wouldn't have been able to identify the composer as Rodrigo had I not known, though it still possesses a noticeable "Spanish" flavor.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

I have just discovered the music of Fikret Amirov at the Naxos Music Library.

I particularly liked Symphony for String Orchestra, "Pamyati Nizami (To the Memory of Nizami)"

Symphonic Addict

https://www.youtube.com/v/nfemhSHDlrY

Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov: Symphony No. 1 in E flat minor

My goodness... astounding, epic, moving!! And even better, in my favorite key, the dark and imposing six-flats key.

For music like this it's that I love Youtube.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 05, 2020, 05:11:08 PM

My goodness... astounding, epic, moving!! And even better, in my favorite key, the dark and imposing six-flats key.

+1

A great favourite. Astounding indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 05, 2020, 05:11:08 PM

Oh yes! Absolutely brilliant as was his score for the movie 'War and Peace'. I recently ordered the LP of the First Symphony to play on my cheapo turntable. Leo of this forum made me a CD-R copy of it years ago  :)
I'm still blown away by Boris Tchaikovsky's 'Sevastopol Symphony' - his greatest work IMO (or at least of the ones that I know). In some ways it has the same epic appeal as the Ovchinnikov symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: arpeggio on August 31, 2020, 11:02:19 PM
I have just discovered the music of Fikret Amirov at the Naxos Music Library.

I particularly liked Symphony for String Orchestra, "Pamyati Nizami (To the Memory of Nizami)"
+1 for Amirov. I have the old Olympia recordings which have given me much pleasure over the years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: springrite on August 28, 2020, 08:38:42 AM
Dutilleux is not a prolific composer. Every work he puts out is a gem. No duds.

For those who are interested - the Chandos Summer Sale includes their set of the complete Dutilleux orchestral works for £15.00

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 06, 2020, 06:52:22 AM
For those who are interested - the Chandos Summer Sale includes their set of the complete Dutilleux orchestral works for £15.00
Lots of other good bargains there as well.

MishaK

This!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gidbTgGGBmw

What a marvelous piece!

vandermolen

Erkki Salmenhaara: Symphony No.4
Currently playing it over and over again:

Symphonic Addict

This: Benzin

Completely delightful!! It has to be one of the most imaginative, witty, quirky, fun, uplifting works I've listened to recently (a most necessary 'antidote' to the severe Eklund disc  8) ). Really fantastic music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

I have been a Per Nørgård addict for many years.  The following did not disappoint:

[asin]B001MUJSEQ[/asin]

relm1

Quote from: arpeggio on September 18, 2020, 07:36:27 AM
I have been a Per Nørgård addict for many years.  The following did not disappoint:

[asin]B001MUJSEQ[/asin]

I find his output fascinating as well.  I wish he can produce a Ninth Symphony because it sounds like he wants to but health has intervened.

kyjo

Delius: Violin Sonata in B major, op. posth. (1892)

I am quite in awe of this rapturously beautiful, passionate music!! Early Delius is the Delius I prefer, before he got all moody and amorphous. ;) This has automatically taken its place among my very favorite violin sonatas. A stunning find!

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2020, 07:36:59 PM
Delius: Violin Sonata in B major, op. posth. (1892)

I am quite in awe of this rapturously beautiful, passionate music!! Early Delius is the Delius I prefer, before he got all moody and amorphous. ;) This has automatically taken its place among my very favorite violin sonatas. A stunning find!

Good for you! Poor old Delius receives a bit of a kicking, unfairly in my view. His string quartet is lovely too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2020, 12:05:42 AM

His string quartet is lovely too.

I endorse this. Thank God he wrote one, and very fine it is.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Julius Eastman: Femenine (1974) - Heard this live for the first time a few days ago, performed by the London-based new music group, Apartment House. It will be available on YouTube for 30 days at the link below, and I'll surely be watching again.

It's listed as 72 minutes, and seems a landmark of minimalism, not unrelated to Terry Riley's In C. But Eastman's concerns are different, although the result is as happy and ecstatic as Riley's. As the rudder, playing a repeated vibraphone motif for over an hour, Simon Limbrick deserves the lion's share of praise, but the entire group was outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KakHBK44ko

--Bruce

relm1

I really loved this recording I just listened to.  Gorgeous music from start to end, full of drama, atmosphere, and intrigue all finely recorded.  Are the rest of his symphonies this good?

Symphonic Addict

Well, that symphony is certainly his most dramatic and lush (and tragic to some extent), so I would say the others don't possess such level of intensity but they're more than good. The 2nd and 4th symphonies are my favorites by him, although I like all of them.

Noam Chomsky