Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on October 31, 2020, 10:47:29 PM
Generally speaking my ears have not been impressed with the music of Langgaard.  A few of his symphonies (I have copies of all of them) and his opera Antikrist.

Finally got around to checking out Music of the Spheres.  My ears gave it a + rating  :)

I found out that it's available through my library system; looking forward to listening to it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 01, 2020, 06:04:49 AM
Thumbs up for the Ben-Haim, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, and above, all for the Langgaard. A visionary creation.
+1 for all those composers - the Ben Haim CD has just arrived so I look forward to hearing it later.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Villa-Lobos: Rudepoêma

Rudepoêma is such a kaleidoscopic piece for piano. There is magic, mysticism, mystery. The closing low notes/chords have a strong intensity! It gave me goosebumps. For me it's a masterwork.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 12, 2020, 02:48:31 PM
Villa-Lobos: Rudepoêma

Rudepoêma is such a kaleidoscopic piece for piano. There is magic, mysticism, mystery. The closing low notes/chords have a strong intensity! It gave me goosebumps. For me it's a masterwork.

It sure is! To take it one step further, have you heard the orchestration of Rudepoêma? Definitely worth hearing.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2020, 03:37:03 PM
It sure is! To take it one step further, have you heard the orchestration of Rudepoêma? Definitely worth hearing.

Yes, I have, but this version made a stronger impression on me. The piano just has the tone to express the myriad of moods this work possess.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 12, 2020, 05:36:36 PM
Yes, I have, but this version made a stronger impression on me. The piano just has the tone to express the myriad of moods this work possess.

Yes, I agree and this is why I prefer the piano originals to the orchestration and this goes for any of my favorite composers. There are some cases where an orchestration does some justice to the original piano version, but this doesn't happen very often.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2020, 05:54:58 PM
Yes, I agree and this is why I prefer the piano originals to the orchestration and this goes for any of my favorite composers. There are some cases where an orchestration does some justice to the original piano version, but this doesn't happen very often.

Ravel?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on November 13, 2020, 12:40:36 AM
Ravel?

I think Ravel's orchestrations are wonderful and fun to listen to, but I wouldn't say they're 'better' than the original solo piano works.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2020, 06:44:00 AM
I think Ravel's orchestrations are wonderful and fun to listen to, but I wouldn't say they're 'better' than the original solo piano works.

No argument. It was the first name to come to mind when reading your post.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

X-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Quote from: ritter on November 18, 2020, 05:44:33 AMRevisiting Darius Milhaud's Le carnaval de Londres.

I was very favourably impressed by this work when I first encountered it a couple of days ago, but this time around I'm positively blown away. This is so happy music! In essence, its an orchestral suite with themes from The Beggar's Opera, and this is what the liner notes of the Hyperion CD (written by Robert Matthew-Walker) say about its gestation:

As was Milhaud's custom, no sooner had he completed his arrangements of Gay's ballad-opera than he utilized several of the tunes in a concert work for small orchestra (single wind, timpani, harp, percussion and strings), calling it Le carnaval de Londres and completing it by the end of September. Milhaud conducted the broadcast premiere of his version of The Beggar's Opera on Radio Marseille; Manuel Rosenthal conducted the first performance of Le carnaval de Londres in 1939 at a Revue Musicale concert. As with Le carnaval d'Aix, it is not necessary to know the story of the seminal work to appreciate the skill and charm, the beauty and allure of this enchanting work, whose joie de vivre is so typical of this composer at his most light-hearted. His settings of the old themes, and folk material – notably Lillibulero – are accomplished with considerable affection and artistry.

The opening Bal -- Ouverture is an unlikely arrangement of Over the Hills and far Away using a....rumba rhythm! Outlandish, but really effective and engaging, and quite wonderfully scored. The recording under Ronald Corp is excellent.

Here's the whole work, but in another recording. If you listen to the first 1'21" (the overture), you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, the percussionist in  this particular reading seems to have some trouble with the rumba rhythm.

[flash=300,200]https://www.youtube.com/v/c-Xi6xJoxZQ&t=32s[/flash]

arpeggio

I have just discovered a fascinating contemporary English composer: Joe Cutler

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on November 19, 2020, 09:59:52 PM
I have just discovered a fascinating contemporary English composer: Joe Cutler

Nice!  I'll have to look into his music.  I did find his website (am looking for music samples there).

Love the quirky cover too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

arpeggio

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 20, 2020, 04:32:09 AM
Nice!  I'll have to look into his music.  I did find his website (am looking for music samples there).

Love the quirky cover too!

PD

I discovered his music at the Naxos Music Library website.

I like the jazz elements in Hawaii, Hawaii, Hawaii.

This is a new CD and the only place that has it is Presto.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on November 20, 2020, 06:20:54 AM
I discovered his music at the Naxos Music Library website.

I like the jazz elements in Hawaii, Hawaii, Hawaii.

This is a new CD and the only place that has it is Presto.
Ah.  I did find samples from it on his website:  http://joecutler.com/listen-watch/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Today I played Weinberg's 6th String Quartet. Holy cow, this is hot stuff!!! An incredibly intense piece. The short 3rd movement has a tense nature that becomes exciting. It's a tour of force with a rest on the slow movement. Weinberg at his most inspired. I also liked the 5th very much, especially the movement Humoreska. That was something else!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Cool, Cesar. 8) I'll have to revisit that one when I'm feeling in a Russian kind of mood.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 24, 2020, 07:45:09 PM
Today I played Weinberg's 6th String Quartet. Holy cow, this is hot stuff!!! An incredibly intense piece. The short 3rd movement has a tense nature that becomes exciting. It's a tour of force with a rest on the slow movement. Weinberg at his most inspired. I also liked the 5th very much, especially the movement Humoreska. That was something else!

Oh yes! It's one of the only quartets of his that I know, and it's superb indeed.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 24, 2020, 07:45:09 PM
I have to go back and see which ones I have...

I have 1, 10, 12, 17
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: springrite on November 25, 2020, 02:43:05 PM
I have to go back and see which ones I have...

I have 1, 10, 12, 17

I only know the 1st one and it's a great piece being a first attempt in the form. These early quartets have been a good revelation to me lately.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

I have discovered the following CD's from the Naxos Music Library.
The following is a new avant garde composer I am unfamiliar with.  The instrumental works were really neat.  The choral work was not my cup of tea.

Stylistically the opposite of Eisenburg but still some good stuff.  I was at a premier of one of his band works with the Marine Band.

The following CD contains some interesting chamber music for clarinet by Canadian Composers: