Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

Peter Maxwell Davis has always been hit or miss for me.  This was definitely a hit.

arpeggio

Fastening collection of contemporary music.

Link to the CD company's website:  https://www.navonarecords.com/catalog/nv6318/

kyjo

Quote from: arpeggio on November 25, 2020, 07:50:06 PM
Peter Maxwell Davis has always been hit or miss for me.  This was definitely a hit.

I have yet to hear a "serious" piece by him that I like. I've sampled a few of the symphonies and Naxos Quartets and I thought them some of dreariest stuff I've ever heard... :(
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

I have to say I was rather blown away by Schoenberg's 4 Orchestral Songs last night. What a piece!

arpeggio

A CD on some pretty obscure music.  Interesting range of music from the avant garde Three Pieces of Euchar Gravina to the impressionistic Rih (Wind) by Alexander Vella Gregory.

Link to the Navona Website: https://www.navonarecords.com/catalog/nv6322/

Mirror Image

Upon revisitation of Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, I was yet again blown away. Every movement is rewarding and spectacular in its own way, but hearing Janet Baker in Der Abschied is certainly one of the greatest moments in music that I know.

Symphonic Addict

Mythology Symphony by Stacy Garrop.

This bewitchingly gorgeous symphony by the American composer Stacy Garrop was premiered in 2015, so symphonies haven't died yet (and they won't)! It's inspired by or based on 5 Greek mythological feminine characters (Medusa, Penelope, Sirens, the Fates and Pandora (doesn't include the most expected ones: Athenea, Gaia, Andromeda, etc). Orchestration, strength, mesmerizing sonorities and rhythms, really splendid handle of orchestra and cogent musical development. I'm amazed. One of the best contemporary symphonies I've heard lately. If anyrhing, I can relate her style to that of Rautavaara. The third movement The Lovely Sirens by itself is impressive, and ends like Holst's Mars, the bringer of War. Excitingly stormy!

Theatre Divertimento by Valery Gavrilin. Gosh, this is such a delight of a piece! It has the fun and carefree side of Shostakovich, Kabalevsky, Sviridov and B. Tchaikovsky. Gallop and Rain and merciless in their catchiness and freshness.

The Martini has to be here too. Completely blown away!

Piano Concerto No. 4 Incantations

This is what I call sheer mastery and magic together. A kaleidoscopic piece, captivating sonorities aplenty, excitement throughout, and sheer magic in writing and atmospheres. How could have I ignored this wonder? One that goes to the top for me from now on (including the Alnaes).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

I feel the same way, why was it a hit for you?

springrite

Listened to this work yesterday.

PMD is not hit or miss for me. It is a matter of whether I am in the right mood for it. When i am, it is always a hit. When i am not, it is just perpetual noise.

Yesterday I was in the right mood.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brahmsian

These two works:

Franck's Symphony in D minor (via an early 2020 live performance I attended of the WSO with Matthias Bamert conducting)

Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1 in G minor (via local Classical radio station - Kuchar conducting the Ukrainian National Symphony Orchestra)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 17, 2020, 01:00:41 PM
These two works:

Franck's Symphony in D minor (via an early 2020 live performance I attended of the WSO with Matthias Bamert conducting)

Kalinnikov's Symphony No. 1 in G minor (via local Classical radio station - Kuchar conducting the Ukrainian National Symphony Orchestra)

If you don't know Kalinnikov's 2nd, you could enjoy it as well. A thoroughly life-affirming and warm work.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2020, 08:08:51 PM
Upon revisitation of Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, I was yet again blown away. Every movement is rewarding and spectacular in its own way, but hearing Janet Baker in Der Abschied is certainly one of the greatest moments in music that I know.
Definitely agree. A desert Island version of one of the greatest works I know.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 17, 2020, 02:52:47 PM
If you don't know Kalinnikov's 2nd, you could enjoy it as well. A thoroughly life-affirming and warm work.

I plan on giving it a listen, indeed.  :)

Florestan

Chopin - Variations brilliantes, op. 12

For me and my loved ones, this bloody effing year finishes just as it started: bloody effing awful ---but/yet so does Chopin's music: consoling and nerve-soothing.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 09, 2020, 10:25:27 AM
Mythology Symphony by Stacy Garrop.

This bewitchingly gorgeous symphony by the American composer Stacy Garrop was premiered in 2015, so symphonies haven't died yet (and they won't)! It's inspired by or based on 5 Greek mythological feminine characters (Medusa, Penelope, Sirens, the Fates and Pandora (doesn't include the most expected ones: Athenea, Gaia, Andromeda, etc). Orchestration, strength, mesmerizing sonorities and rhythms, really splendid handle of orchestra and cogent musical development. I'm amazed. One of the best contemporary symphonies I've heard lately. If anyrhing, I can relate her style to that of Rautavaara. The third movement The Lovely Sirens by itself is impressive, and ends like Holst's Mars, the bringer of War. Excitingly stormy!

Theatre Divertimento by Valery Gavrilin. Gosh, this is such a delight of a piece! It has the fun and carefree side of Shostakovich, Kabalevsky, Sviridov and B. Tchaikovsky. Gallop and Rain and merciless in their catchiness and freshness.

The Martini has to be here too. Completely blown away!

Piano Concerto No. 4 Incantations

This is what I call sheer mastery and magic together. A kaleidoscopic piece, captivating sonorities aplenty, excitement throughout, and sheer magic in writing and atmospheres. How could have I ignored this wonder? One that goes to the top for me from now on (including the Alnaes).
You're a VERY BAD influence Cesar! That Mythology Symphony looks most beguiling. I have that Martinu CD which is the best ever for featuring both 'Incantations' and my favourite recording of Symphony No.4.
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 17, 2020, 11:15:35 PM
Definitely agree. A desert Island version of one of the greatest works I know.

Absolutely! :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2020, 09:55:19 AM
You're a VERY BAD influence Cesar! That Mythology Symphony looks most beguiling. I have that Martinu CD which is the best ever for featuring both 'Incantations' and my favourite recording of Symphony No.4.
;D

I'm not as persuasive as you, Jeffrey.  :D

And yes, that is a great symphony. Tonal, gripping, evocative.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 19, 2020, 12:51:21 PM
I'm not as persuasive as you, Jeffrey.  :D

And yes, that is a great symphony. Tonal, gripping, evocative.

Definitely on my wish list Cesar. I tend to like works influenced by Greek Mythology, Bantock, Hovhaness's 'Odysseus Symphony' etc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2020, 09:55:19 AM
;D
Yes, that Mythology Symphony does sound intriguing!

By the way, that Apex/Martinu CD is also available as part of this small set (which I own):  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=773351

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

A further note re the Mythology Symphony, you can listen to some of it here (composer's website):  https://garrop.com/Instrumental/Orchestra/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter