Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 22, 2020, 03:26:43 AM
Yes, that Mythology Symphony does sound intriguing!

By the way, that Apex/Martinu CD is also available as part of this small set (which I own):  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=773351

PD
Great set PD! Turnovsky's Martinu Symphony No.4 is the best!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 22, 2020, 03:33:28 AM
A further note re the Mythology Symphony, you can listen to some of it here (composer's website):  https://garrop.com/Instrumental/Orchestra/

PD

I have this disc.  Excellent album, exciting and well recorded work - she's a great composer and this work doesn't disappoint. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on December 22, 2020, 05:50:09 AM
I have this disc.  Excellent album, exciting and well recorded work - she's a great composer and this work doesn't disappoint.
Oh, that's good news from you and PD. I'm sure that it will be coming my way soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: relm1 on December 22, 2020, 05:50:09 AM
Good to hear relm1.  :)

PD

p.s.  It was interesting to read on (I believe that it was Cedille's website or possibly her own?  If you're interested, I'll look into it again.) as to how that symphony came about.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Jonathan Leshnoff: 3rd Symphony.

From a live performance by the Kansas City Orchestra accompanied by images from the Kansas City WWI Museum.

Blew me away without a doubt!    https://youtu.be/kXsmuyxD09A
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Last night it was Bax's Tintagel that blew me away. Today, it is Bax's 6th symphony!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2020, 08:01:06 AM
Last night it was Bax's Tintagel that blew me away. Today, it is Bax's 6th symphony!

Looks like you finally are digesting some Bax. Nice!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 23, 2020, 08:03:46 AM
Looks like you finally are digesting some Bax. Nice!

Yes and it's about time! I own A LOT of his music on disc.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 23, 2020, 06:39:50 AM
Jonathan Leshnoff: 3rd Symphony.

From a live performance by the Kansas City Orchestra accompanied by images from the Kansas City WWI Museum.

Blew me away without a doubt!    https://youtu.be/kXsmuyxD09A
This is on its way to me.
:)

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 24, 2020, 02:29:46 PM
This is on its way to me.
:)

So there is a commercial recording Jeffrey?! A friend sent me the YT link which absolutely floored me.

Edit: On the way here too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

arpeggio

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on December 26, 2020, 07:31:20 AM
I do not know.

You don't know why you liked a piece of music? Was it the harmonies? Rhythms? The way the piece was structured? The emotional content?

arpeggio

Reminder, check out opening post.

This is for music that one is previously unfamiliar with.

I have yesterday listen to a DVD I received for Christmas that blew me away:

[asin]B07HN55VZH[/asin]

I have performed and I am familiar with every work on this DVD.  If I want to discuss how great this DVD is I will do it in another thread.

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2020, 07:34:56 AM
You don't know why you liked a piece of music? Was it the harmonies? Rhythms? The way the piece was structured? The emotional content?

Sorry I honestly do not know.  In other forums I used to get into trouble because I could not answer such questions.

For example, one of my desert island discs would be the Verdi Requiem.  Yet I can not stand anything else that Verdi composed.  I can not explain it.

As a band junkie one of my favorite composers is Vincent Persichetti.  Yet he composed one band work, the Bagatelles, which I can not stand.  Why? I do not have the foggiest idea.

When I was younger I tried to come up with criteria for determining whether or not a piece of music was great.  No matter what I came up with there ended up being notable exceptions.  So I gave up trying to answer such questions.

MusicTurner

Quote from: arpeggio on December 26, 2020, 08:04:30 AM
(...)

For example, one of my desert island discs would be the Verdi Requiem.  Yet I can not stand anything else that Verdi composed.  I can not explain it.
(...)

You're not alone with that, for sure - ditto here, though there's quite a bit by him not listened to.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: arpeggio on December 26, 2020, 08:04:30 AM
Sorry I honestly do not know.  In other forums I used to get into trouble because I could not answer such questions.

For example, one of my desert island discs would be the Verdi Requiem.

As a band junkie one of my favorite composers is Vincent Persichetti.  Yet he composed one band work, the Bagatelles, which I can not stand.  Why? I do not have the foggiest idea.

When I was younger I tried to come up with criteria for determining whether or not a piece of music was great.  No matter what I came up with there ended up being notable exceptions.  So I gave up trying to answer such questions.

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 26, 2020, 10:39:04 AM
You're not alone with that, for sure - ditto here, though there's quite a bit by him not listened to.
And, as for yours truly, Verdi's Requiem is the one work by him that I don't like!  Go figure?  ::) :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 27, 2020, 05:54:02 AM
And, as for yours truly, Verdi's Requiem is the one work by him that I don't like!  Go figure?  ::) :-\

PD

? ?  :laugh:

Any favourite?

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner