Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

Unusual listening fare for me, and maybe not "objectively" great compositions, but I recently heard Bortkiewicz's Piano Concertos #2 and 3 for the first time. Liked them so much that I replayed the disc!
It's this recording, reissued by Brilliant Classics as part of a big box.

arpeggio

Quote from: T. D. on February 25, 2021, 04:13:36 PM
Unusual listening fare for me, and maybe not "objectively" great compositions, but I recently heard Bortkiewicz's Piano Concertos #2 and 3 for the first time. Liked them so much that I replayed the disc!

There is a lot of great music that is not great.  Some people carry on, especially in another forum, that we should only listen great music.

I thing I will check this not in the Naxos Music Library.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on February 25, 2021, 04:13:36 PM

Two quite appealing concertos with strong Russian pathos alla Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. A pity they didn't record the Piano Concerto No. 1. The only recording I know of it is on a Hyperion CD, nevertheless.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 25, 2021, 06:11:39 PM
Two quite appealing concertos with strong Russian pathos alla Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. A pity they didn't record the Piano Concerto No. 1. The only recording I know of it is on a Hyperion CD, nevertheless.

I'll have to give that Hyperion a listen. Some online reviews opined that Concerto #1 is stronger than the latter two.

arpeggio

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 25, 2021, 06:11:39 PM

I just finished listening to them.  I agree with you assessment.  Excellent  ;)

Daverz

springrite

Quote from: T. D. on February 25, 2021, 06:20:45 PM
I'll have to give that Hyperion a listen. Some online reviews opined that Concerto #1 is stronger than the latter two.
Yes it is.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brahmsian

This is an absolutely amazing disc!  :)

My first exposure to all pieces.  Le Chasseur maudit was a knock out.  All were great, but the true standout "blown me away" work was actually the Psyché, symphonic poem for chorus and orchestra.  Highly recommend this disc!

*Cross posted from the Cesar Franck composer thread.

arpeggio

I just listened to the following interesting albums on the Naxos Music Library

Wide variety of styles in the following.  The most interesting were the atonal works.

Mirror Image

I'm not going to say 'blown away' (now that I think about this, it's just too over-the-top of an expression), but I will say I'm quite impressed with all three of Zemlinsky's Psalms from the Conlon recording on EMI. I find it quite odd that Warner Classics hasn't gotten around to reissuing Conlon's Zemlinsky (not that I need it at this point, but I would like to get the operas).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 03, 2021, 04:32:32 PM
I'm not going to say 'blown away' (now that I think about this, it's just too over-the-top of an expression), but I will say I'm quite impressed with all three of Zemlinsky's Psalms from the Conlon recording on EMI. I find it quite odd that Warner Classics hasn't gotten around to reissuing Conlon's Zemlinsky (not that I need it at this point, but I would like to get the operas).

Yes, magnificent works. There is one of them that is especially thrilling. It includes an organ, methinks.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 03, 2021, 05:26:38 PM
Yes, magnificent works. There is one of them that is especially thrilling. It includes an organ, methinks.

I loved them all and I don't recall an organ, but it might've been buried, I just didn't hear it.

Symphonic Addict

I am astounded at these first two guitar concertos by Leo Brouwer. My goodness, this is simply STUNNING MUSIC!!

The Guitar Concerto No. 1 has a bewitching nature because of its incredible effects, sonorities and atmosphere. I could perceive some echoes from Lutoslawski in some passages. An utterly striking piece of music without doubts.

If I found the first concerto amazing, the 2nd Concierto de Lieja is even more ravishing, mostly because of its more approachable style. The music has a magical and colourful feel to it that just overwhelmed me. I didn't expect music of such quality, and I can't believe I hadn't heard this work before. There are no dull moments whatsoever, a work that effortlessly hooks you. Recommended with full enthusiasm.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 01, 2021, 07:17:01 AM

This is an absolutely amazing disc!  :)

My first exposure to all pieces.  Le Chasseur maudit was a knock out.  All were great, but the true standout "blown me away" work was actually the Psyché, symphonic poem for chorus and orchestra.  Highly recommend this disc!

*Cross posted from the Cesar Franck composer thread.

On your endorsement, I listened to it.  Fantastic music!  Extremely rewarding listening experience.  Thank you for enlightening me.

Brahmsian

Quote from: relm1 on March 04, 2021, 04:17:49 PM
On your endorsement, I listened to it.  Fantastic music!  Extremely rewarding listening experience.  Thank you for enlightening me.

Marvelous to hear! I'm sure happy to hear you enjoyed it.  :)

arpeggio

I have never been a big aficionado of Faure.

Recently I have discovered some of his music that really impressed me.

The latest I heard on the Naxos Music Library Website.  I need to explore more of his music.  Even though I performed it I never could get into his Requiem.  My loss.

vandermolen

Tosca (Puccini): Te Deum Scene (Bryn Terfel/Swedish RSO/Paul Daniel).
Most unusual listening for me!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

arpeggio

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2021, 06:39:22 AM

Yes.  I run hot and cold with Puccini.  Some Puccini leaves me cold.  Tosca is hot.  The greatest short overture in the history of opera.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 05, 2021, 06:39:22 AM
Glad to hear that you're sticking your big toe in the water.  :)  Now, why don't you put it into context and listen to (and/or watch) the complete opera?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 05, 2021, 07:03:07 AM
Glad to hear that you're sticking your big toe in the water.  :)  Now, why don't you put it into context and listen to (and/or watch) the complete opera?

PD

That's like taking the polar bear plunge.  :D