Author Topic: Pieces that have blown you away recently  (Read 218390 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
Re: Pieces that have blown you away recently
« Reply #1460 on: April 02, 2021, 06:33:39 AM »
Elgar's first symphony was a new discovery.  Posters (who have not been here for many, many years) dissuaded me for ever bothering with his symphonies.  Well I love the first!  It is so melodic.  I'll probably buy the recording that I've been listening to.

Shame. On. Them. I cannot put that strongly enough. Thank goodness you've finally seen past that and come to listen to them and judge for yourself. All three* symphonies are utterly majestic.

(*In your own time, you absolutely should listen to the Elgar/Payne 3rd Symphony. It's a fantastic work regardless of how much of it is by whom. It's a great achievement in and of itself.)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #1461 on: April 02, 2021, 09:53:42 AM »
Shame. On. Them. I cannot put that strongly enough. Thank goodness you've finally seen past that and come to listen to them and judge for yourself. All three* symphonies are utterly majestic.

(*In your own time, you absolutely should listen to the Elgar/Payne 3rd Symphony. It's a fantastic work regardless of how much of it is by whom. It's a great achievement in and of itself.)

There’s a general snobbishness from many American musicians and listeners towards British music which I’ve never understood. There are some notable exceptions for certain pieces - Elgar’s Enigma Variations and Cello Concerto, Holst’s The Planets, and a couple works by Britten - but overall British music tends to be looked down upon as vastly inferior to Austro/German and Russian music. You all know my thoughts on this... ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #1462 on: April 02, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
There’s a general snobbishness from many American musicians and listeners towards British music which I’ve never understood. There are some notable exceptions for certain pieces - Elgar’s Enigma Variations and Cello Concerto, Holst’s The Planets, and a couple works by Britten - but overall British music tends to be looked down upon as vastly inferior to Austro/German and Russian music. You all know my thoughts on this... ;)

This is not true with the musicians I hang out with.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1463 on: April 02, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »
I can't believe I didn't remember how thoroughly stupendous Copland's Clarinet Concerto is. A seriously extraordinary piece, with its pensive and nostalgic beginning that lead to a tricky cadenza, and after that, a quite fun and rhythmic jazzistic section. Great use of orchestral piano as well. One of my favorite clarinet concertos from now on.

«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...brume au-dessus de l’eau...
« Reply #1464 on: April 02, 2021, 07:26:18 PM »
I can't believe I didn't remember how thoroughly stupendous Copland's Clarinet Concerto is. A seriously extraordinary piece, with its pensive and nostalgic beginning that lead to a tricky cadenza, and after that, a quite fun and rhythmic jazzistic section. Great use of orchestral piano as well. One of my favorite clarinet concertos from now on.

Yeah, I’ve always liked this concerto as well, Cesar. You’ve got to hear the Goodman/Copland performance. It’s a classic!
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Elvira_R0825

« Reply #1465 on: April 03, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
Not that recently, but "Il grande inquisitor!" bass duet again and again.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1466 on: April 03, 2021, 11:25:53 PM »

I think that is probably generally true of other countries as well. British literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Dickens, Orwell etc), art, theatre and cinema are often admired but not music, other than pop music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline DavidW

« Reply #1467 on: April 04, 2021, 06:24:52 AM »
I think that is probably generally true of other countries as well. British literature (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Dickens, Orwell etc), art, theatre and cinema are often admired but not music, other than pop music.

Your cuisine is also not appreciated! ;D