Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

( Crosspost from the WAYLTN thread)

A few first-listens

The very opening bars had me on the edge of the seat and after the final chord I stooped to pick up my jaw which must have dropped on the floor some time during the 3rd movement. Such a ravishing experience! The sweeping power of this music took me to planes and places where I'd never been before. An absolute masterpiece.

A different, but no less exhilarating and powerful, experience. That a 15yo could write music exhibiting such complete mastery of form and such expressive depths is nothing short of a miracle, just like in Mozart's case. These quartets are full of passion and tenderness, life-affirming and gorgeously tuneful. The big surprise is a piano quartet which Felix wrote at the teder age of 12 (sic!) and which is sheer delight from start to end, a masterpiece of elegance and a feast of memorable melodies. The inclusion of this work makes this twofer the only genuinely complete on the market, all others known to me don't feature it. Mendelssohn was a genius and I should spend much more time with his music than I used to.

Rachmaninoff --- All-Night Vigils, Op. 37 / St Petersburg Chamber Choir, Nikolai Korniev, Olga Borodina (MS), Vladimir Moztovoy (T)

The first time I listened to this piece in its entirety. While listening I wondered what it would have been like to hear it in the Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer in Moscow . The very thought gave me goosebumps and sent shivers down my spine. The majestic chants, the soaring solos, the feeling of calm yet powerful devotion and the deeply mystical, otherworldly atmosphere would have been enhanced a thousand times in that particular setting, amid the icons, the incense and the wide space. This monumental piece is one of the best, most deeply felt and beautiful expression of Christian faith in general and of Eastern Orthodox faith in particular known to me. Thank you and God bless your soul, Sergei Vasilyevich!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

arpeggio

Another living composer I really enjoy is Per Nørgard.

The works on this CD are new for me:

Works on the CD are:

Kvintet, Op. 1 – Hommage á Marc Chagall (1952-53)
for flute, violin, viola, cello and piano

Singing Secrets
Signe Asmussen, soprano
Irena Kavčič, flute
Helge Slaatto, violin
Anette Slaatto, viola
John Ehde, cello
Erik Kaltoft, piano

Sonata – The Secret Melody for solo viola

Vintersalme: Som året går, part 2for solo voice

Fragment V for solo violin

Zwei Saiten, eine Stimme for mezzo-soprano and violin

Cantica (1977, rev. 2004) for cello and piano

Brian

You know what really knocks me out? I just listened, for the first time in 5-10 years, to the "Polka and Fugue" from Weinberger's opera Schwanda the Bagpiper. And not only is it awesome...but do you guys realize that, at least in the Naxos Music Library database and ArkivMusic, only two living conductors have recorded it? (Note: excluding complete opera performances and arrangements for wind band.)

It was a big smash back in the 1920s-50s, programmed on pops albums by people like Karajan, Reiner, Kempe, and Ormandy. It was, by general acclaim, one of the great 10-minute orchestral showpieces. And now as far as I can tell, the only recording this century is on CPO.

Well, ya know what? It's still super fun!!

arpeggio

Being a band junkie is so discouraging.  There is a tremendous transcription for concert band of the "Polka and Fugue".  I have lost track on how many times I have performed this transcription.

I  think I will check and see if their are any recordings of the band version.

Brian

Boris Blacher's Paganini Variations are cool.

Quote from: arpeggio on May 03, 2021, 12:02:41 PM
Being a band junkie is so discouraging.  There is a tremendous transcription for concert band of the "Polka and Fugue".  I have lost track on how many times I have performed this transcription.

Hah! Naxos Music Library has recorded documentation of a number of states' high school wind band competitions, so I bet you could find it there.

Old San Antone

Quote from: arpeggio on May 03, 2021, 12:02:41 PM

It is included on a CD called Retrospective by the US Marine Band.

Cato

Dmitri Tiomkin's score for Red River in an incredibly enthusiastic performance by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra with William Stromberg.

"Blown away" every time I hear it!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

relm1

Quote from: Cato on May 10, 2021, 04:29:34 PM
Dmitri Tiomkin's score for Red River in an incredibly enthusiastic performance by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra with William Stromberg.

"Blown away" every time I hear it!

Bill Stromberg's recordings are fantastic!  He's a wonderful and talented composer too!  They do a great job on their score restorations.

Cato

Quote from: relm1 on May 10, 2021, 05:13:00 PM
Bill Stromberg's recordings are fantastic!  He's a wonderful and talented composer too!  They do a great job on their score restorations.

Amen!

Concerning Weinberger's Schwanda the Bagpiper:

Quote from: Old San Antone on May 10, 2021, 03:02:07 PM

It is included on a CD called Retrospective by the US Marine Band.

Ask and ye shall receive!

https://www.youtube.com/v/s_CPFHLZ1Q4
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Fernando Lopes-Graca (1906-1994): Symphony for Orchestra (1944 - first performed 1953):
I'd forgotten how good this work is (there's a vg Naxos recording as well). It starts off in a rather 'folksy' way but there is an underlying slumbering power and the slow movement rises to a movingly powerful climax. The work probably reflects its time of composition. Lopes-Graca also wrote a 'Requiem for the Victims of Fascism' towards the end of his life. The fine Symphony should appeal to admirers of Braga Santos:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Korngold's Das Wunder der Heliane.  So gorgeous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPPL0i4DwM

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on May 13, 2021, 05:31:27 AM

Nice! I'll have to find a recording of this --- I know there's a Decca recording of it (a part of that Entartete Musik series).

Wanderer

Welcome to the club.  8)

André

Irons

I listened to Alwyn's first symphony on Tuesday and thought it cannot be this good, so kept my powder dry and had another listen tonight - it is!

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2021, 06:24:50 AM
Nice! I'll have to find a recording of this --- I know there's a Decca recording of it (a part of that Entartete Musik series).

Go for the Decca recording - I was very disappointed in the recent(ish) Naxos recording - singing simply not as good and this opera is a BIG sing!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2021, 01:59:05 AM
Fernando Lopes-Graca (1906-1994): Symphony for Orchestra (1944 - first performed 1953):
I'd forgotten how good this work is (there's a vg Naxos recording as well). It starts off in a rather 'folksy' way but there is an underlying slumbering power and the slow movement rises to a movingly powerful climax. The work probably reflects its time of composition. Lopes-Graca also wrote a 'Requiem for the Victims of Fascism' towards the end of his life. The fine Symphony should appeal to admirers of Braga Santos:

Consider me another fan of this composer and work, Jeffrey.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on May 13, 2021, 01:22:27 PM
I listened to Alwyn's first symphony on Tuesday and thought it cannot be this good, so kept my powder dry and had another listen tonight - it is!

I think all of his 5 symphonies are really strong. I like Nos. 2 and 3 the most, though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2021, 06:12:19 PM
I think all of his 5 symphonies are really strong. I like Nos. 2 and 3 the most, though.

Listened to 2 yesterday. Need more time with it.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for that sample.  That was lovely!  It shimmered (if that makes sense).  :)

I hadn't heard that opera before now.  Is this recording still available commercially?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter