Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 15, 2021, 02:46:46 AM
Thanks for that sample.  That was lovely!  It shimmered (if that makes sense).  :)

I hadn't heard that opera before now.  Is this recording still available commercially?

PD

"Shimmer" is a perfect way to describe Korngold's orchestration - its all those harps/tuned percussion and orchestral keyboards he uses.  Yes this is the recording I referenced as being the better of the two available on CD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Korngold-Tomowa-Sintow-Reinhild-Rundfunkchor-Radio-Symphonie-Orchester/dp/B006IOOXJ6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=das+wunder+der+heliane&qid=1621078712&s=music&sr=1-2

relm1

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 15, 2021, 03:39:12 AM
"Shimmer" is a perfect way to describe Korngold's orchestration - its all those harps/tuned percussion and orchestral keyboards he uses.  Yes this is the recording I referenced as being the better of the two available on CD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Korngold-Tomowa-Sintow-Reinhild-Rundfunkchor-Radio-Symphonie-Orchester/dp/B006IOOXJ6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=das+wunder+der+heliane&qid=1621078712&s=music&sr=1-2

Interestingly, the work was a dud when it premiered.  Korngold considered it his magnum opus and was perplexed why his earlier operas were higher regarded than this one.   I guess people were very picky in the past.  He died too young (1897-1957).  Just imagine, if he had lived twenty more years, he very well could have scored Star Wars!! 

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on May 15, 2021, 06:00:09 AM
he very well could have scored Star Wars!!

He did anyway didn't he........ ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 14, 2021, 11:29:15 AM
Go for the Decca recording - I was very disappointed in the recent(ish) Naxos recording - singing simply not as good and this opera is a BIG sing!

Thanks, RS. I ended up going with the Decca recording --- the original issue of it as I know I'll get a nice sized booklet with it along with the libretto. 8)

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2021, 01:59:05 AM
Fernando Lopes-Graca (1906-1994): Symphony for Orchestra (1944 - first performed 1953):
I'd forgotten how good this work is (there's a vg Naxos recording as well). It starts off in a rather 'folksy' way but there is an underlying slumbering power and the slow movement rises to a movingly powerful climax. The work probably reflects its time of composition. Lopes-Graca also wrote a 'Requiem for the Victims of Fascism' towards the end of his life. The fine Symphony should appeal to admirers of Braga Santos:

Indeed, a great work! It's like (early) Braga Santos in its folksy nature but a bit "spikier" and more harmonically complex. I wasn't aware of that interesting-looking Dux recording - regrettably, I can't find it on Spotify on YT. There's also this recording with a Hungarian (!) orchestra and conductor which seems a bit more characterful and energetic than the Naxos one: https://youtu.be/iecsknw1_So
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2021, 11:38:33 PM
Listened to 2 yesterday. Need more time with it.

The final 5 or so minutes of No. 2 are exceptionally powerful and moving. A really cathartic moment. I think the dramatic and cogent No. 3 is my overall favorite but, as Cesar says, all five of Alwyn's are very fine.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

I have to say that with each revisit I'm continuously blown away by is Berg's Der Wein. It has these elements of jazz and I believe there's some tango music here as well. Anyway, it's a described as a 'concert aria for soprano and orchestra' but it's really like a mini-opera as it's packed full of fascinating music.

arpeggio

There are two oldies I have discovered in the Naxos Music Library Website:

Gliere: Symphony #3, Ilya Muromets

Khachaturian: Symphony #2, "Symphony with a Bell"

vandermolen

Quote from: arpeggio on May 28, 2021, 09:10:56 PM
There are two oldies I have discovered in the Naxos Music Library Website:

Gliere: Symphony #3, Ilya Muromets

Khachaturian: Symphony #2, "Symphony with a Bell"
Two of my favourites!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Mirror Image

A work that I heard recently from Respighi titled Belfagor Overture is an absolute delight from start to finish. I re-listened to the two recordings I own of it: Neschling (BIS) and Downes (Chandos). They both are excellent, but I think I'll have to give Neschling the nod here as the sonics are a bit more 'up front' and the Downes has a bit of that Chandos reverb that doesn't always allow the music to be heard in the best light.

André Le Nôtre

Tomaso Vitali: Chaconne (Gioconda de Vito recording)

John Luther Adams: Canticles of the Sky

Symphonic Addict

This ballet has some ineffably beautiful music. How had I been missing this work for so long?? Pure colour and magic at their best. Absolutely charming.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 01, 2021, 07:21:40 PM
This ballet has some ineffably beautiful music. How had I been missing this work for so long?? Pure colour and magic at their best. Absolutely charming.

I heartily agree, Cesar. A fine ballet. I also love that Chamber Suite that's coupled with The Humpbacked Horse.

vandermolen

This one continues to 'blow me away'
Salmenhaara's 4th Symphony (1971-72):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2021, 07:45:19 PM
I heartily agree, Cesar. A fine ballet. I also love that Chamber Suite that's coupled with The Humpbacked Horse.

The Humpbacked Horse is gorgeous beyond words indeed. I'm listening to the Chamber Suite tomorrow.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

I have been listening to a lot of contemporary music on the Naxos Music Library Website.

Even though I following contemporary music I have not been impressed with most of the music I have been listening to.

I had an interesting problem with one recording.  It was a collection of contemporary works for the bass clarinet.  Even though the CD had several composers all of the music sounded the same to me.

Florestan

Grande Fantaisie on Russian Folksongs

The work of a 15-yo teenager, yet instead of expectedly empty bravura and fierce pyrotechnics it's a mostly introspective, contemplative, melancholy work which adumbrates Rachmaninoff. I'm glad to have discovered it.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

I've heard this symphony several times before, but I've got to say that Dvořák's 1st symphony blew me away when I listened to it a few nights ago. Such a strong start to what will become a remarkable set of symphonies.