Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

TheGSMoeller

I generally associate Corigliano with heavy, darkly-dramatic music similar to his two symphonies, and even the Red Violin Concerto, so hearing The Ghosts of Versailles for the first time was a wonderful surprise. Ghosts is still dramatic, but also very funny, and a great satire on opera of the past. Corigliano fluently shifts musical gears throughout, incorporating many styles and genres. There is another recording available by the LA Opera on Penatone Records, and I'd say both are excellent but this new one shown below is the one I just received from ArkivMusic last week and my 1st run-through of Ghosts which also features a documentary on Corigliano.

Daverz

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3

Harnoncourt is the conductor, a live recording from 1983.  The playing, the conducting (no perverseness from Harnoncourt in this outing) and the sonics all blow me away.

arpeggio

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 14, 2021, 01:53:15 PM
I generally associate Corigliano with heavy, darkly-dramatic music similar to his two symphonies, and even the Red Violin Concerto, so hearing The Ghosts of Versailles for the first time was a wonderful surprise. Ghosts is still dramatic, but also very funny, and a great satire on opera of the past. Corigliano fluently shifts musical gears throughout, incorporating many styles and genres. There is another recording available by the LA Opera on Penatone Records, and I'd say both are excellent but this new one shown below is the one I just received from ArkivMusic last week and my 1st run-through of Ghosts which also features a documentary on Corigliano.

The original production is available on the Met On Demand Site. 

Mirror Image

Pretty much everything I've heard from Dvořák recently. Such a consistent composer of high quality works.

Symphonic Addict

Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind, for klezmer clarinet and string quartet

Wow, this sounds sooo cool!!! It's mystic and fun at once with a quite accentuated Jewish flavor. The players had a fantastic time performing this, I suspect.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 15, 2021, 08:46:44 PM
Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind, for klezmer clarinet and string quartet

Wow, this sounds sooo cool!!! It's mystic and fun at once with a quite accentuated Jewish flavor. The players had a fantastic time performing this, I suspect.

Oh...let's hope Karl doesn't see this post. He has some interesting thoughts on this composer. ;D

vandermolen

+1 I have a different recording of it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Did the police ever capture the 4 clarinetists who clearly stabbed this guy (apparently not fatally though!)

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 18, 2021, 07:34:49 AM
Did the police ever capture the 4 clarinetists who clearly stabbed this guy (apparently not fatally though!)
HAHA! Excellent!

Kalnins 6th Symphony (2001)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 18, 2021, 07:34:49 AM
:laugh:  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

I revisiting Khachaturian's Three Concert Arias yesterday and WOW!!! Incredibly impressive piece. I think he would've made one of hell of an operatic composer if he had chose to go in that creative direction.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 08:28:28 AM
I revisiting Khachaturian's Three Concert Arias yesterday and WOW!!! Incredibly impressive piece. I think he would've made one of hell of an operatic composer if he had chose to go in that creative direction.

I don't know this work yet. I'll have to give it a try on these days.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 23, 2021, 10:56:59 AM
I don't know this work yet. I'll have to give it a try on these days.

Be sure to listen to the Tjeknavorian performance of this work. The CPO performance just isn't up to snuff.

Symphonic Addict

Cello Sonata

IMPRESSIVE WORK!!! Man, these performers had the workout of their lives playing this!! Fiendishly difficult piece which must be a real thrill to hear live. The effects Ginastera got from these instruments are just mind-blowing. Extraordinary!!!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 29, 2021, 08:18:12 PM
Cello Sonata

IMPRESSIVE WORK!!! Man, these performers had the workout of their lives playing this!! Fiendishly difficult piece which must be a real thrill to hear live. The effects Ginastera got from these instruments are just mind-blowing. Extraordinary!!!

I agree! That's a great disc.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 10:58:18 AM
Be sure to listen to the Tjeknavorian performance of this work. The CPO performance just isn't up to snuff.

Nice disc. I will check the CPO set.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 29, 2021, 08:18:12 PM
Cello Sonata

Oh yes, that's a really cool work! Surely one of the most technically difficult and exciting cello sonatas in the repertoire. Some of Ginastera's later works are a bit too "thorny" for my tastes (e.g. his cello concerti), but the Cello Sonata strikes a perfect balance between accessibility and "modernistic" effects. I haven't heard that Naxos recording, but there's this stunning performance on YT: https://youtu.be/EeR-7vTWc9A
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2021, 08:24:03 PM
I agree! That's a great disc.

It is! Today I listened to the other works and my admiration for this composer grew significantly.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 30, 2021, 08:29:02 AM
Oh yes, that's a really cool work! Surely one of the most technically difficult and exciting cello sonatas in the repertoire. Some of Ginastera's later works are a bit too "thorny" for my tastes (e.g. his cello concerti), but the Cello Sonata strikes a perfect balance between accessibility and "modernistic" effects. I haven't heard that Naxos recording, but there's this stunning performance on YT: https://youtu.be/EeR-7vTWc9A

You put it very well there, Kyle. That was what I felt too. Watching the video is also interesting to notice the acrobatics of both players.

Are you gonna learn and play this sonata in the future?

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 30, 2021, 09:31:59 AM
You put it very well there, Kyle. That was what I felt too. Watching the video is also interesting to notice the acrobatics of both players.

Are you gonna learn and play this sonata in the future?

I hope so! It'll probably be a while before that happens, though. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff