Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 26, 2021, 07:32:45 PM
Wellesz - Symphony no. 3

Listening to the finale as I type...magnificent music!! Having been impressed by his first two symphonies, I found myself even more enthralled with his Third. This is serious music that has a sense of purpose and is cogently and accessibly written - there is no "waste". I love music like this that has effective contrast between consonant, tonal passages and more dissonant, chromatic passages. One can sense that this is the kind of work Bruckner might've written had he lived a couple decades longer - the sonorous brass writing is superb. I'm approaching his later symphonies with a bit of trepidation, having read that they're more "difficult", but I'm sure they're still rewarding. I ought to get to know Wellesz's large output more!

Indeed, this could be my favorite of his symphonies. IIRC, the slow movement is especially magnificent. The symphonies from No. 5 (or 6) on are tougher nuts to crack, but as you say, they have compelling music that invites to persevere on them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Thread duty -

Panufnik: Bassoon Concerto

Oh, I have so much to write as so many thoughts are swirling around my mind when I'm thinking about this particular work from Panufnik. But, I'll keep this enthusiastic post rather short --- I believe this is one of those works that is a buried treasure and with Panufnik, which, actually now that I think about it, isn't saying much considering that much of his oeuvre is seldom discussed or even recorded outside such enterprising labels like CPO, Ondine or Chandos (or, at least, they used to be). The Bassoon Concerto is bookended by some jabs from the strings as if to inflect some kind of pain or even torture (but, thankfully, the music isn't torture to listen to ;)). The centerpiece of this concerto is the 11 minute Aria, which reveals some kind of grief and my mind didn't wander one bit when listening to this particular movement as I found it to be almost like a journey of some kind. Where that journey leads the listener I have no idea, but you do get the sense that there's a narrative throughout this entire work and I think that's why I find it so alluring. It's not just a stand up and write one scale after another that will challenge the bassoonist. There is considerable thought put into how the bassoon sounds and what it's actually saying musically speaking. Anyway, I urge any of you to give this concerto a listen. You may like it, you may not, but this CPO recording has actually caused me to go and seek out the other recorded performance with the conductor himself on the podium. Should be interesting.

Edit: I see there's a new recording on Hyperion that contained this concerto...hmmm....and I just bought it. ;D It's a 2-CD set called Voyage of a sea-god. The repertoire in this set looks interesting.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 30, 2021, 09:28:18 AM
It is! Today I listened to the other works and my admiration for this composer grew significantly.

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

arpeggio

It has been awhile since I have heard anything new that blew me away.

At timed I think I give the impressions that I think all contemporary music is good.  The reality is that very rarely connect with modern music.  I recently heard a CD of contemporary chamber music by English composers.  The first work was very interesting.  But all of the remaining works sounded just like the first one even though they were written by different composers.

Then I discovered the following disc:

I have always liked the music of Foss and Bergsma.

arpeggio

After a drought another winner.  This time a 19th century female composer: Louise Farrenc.

The new erato

Quote from: arpeggio on July 28, 2021, 08:46:05 PM
It has been awhile since I have heard anything new that blew me away.

At timed I think I give the impressions that I think all contemporary music is good.  The reality is that very rarely connect with modern music.  I recently heard a CD of contemporary chamber music by English composers.  The first work was very interesting.  But all of the remaining works sounded just like the first one even though they were written by different composers.

Then I discovered the following disc:

I have always liked the music of Foss and Bergsma.
Great disc and the Bergsma in particular is very fine. From the Juillard early Columbia recordings set.

Karl Henning

Not at all new to me, but they blew me away afresh:

The Shostakovich Fourth and Seventh Symphonies
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Szymanowski: String Quartet No. 1

How couldn't I remember the brilliance of this work? It's full of wonderful chromatic gestures. The 2nd movement struck me like intimate and sensuous. A masterpiece.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 30, 2021, 04:19:32 PM
Not at all new to me, but they blew me away afresh:

The Shostakovich Fourth and Seventh Symphonies

I'm always astonished when I hear these symphonies, too, Karl.

vandermolen

Nino Rota: Symphony No.1 (1936-39)
This has grown and grown on me, so now I can't stop playing it  ;D
Rather like the lovely and charming 'Symphonie' by Jean-Michel Damase, it appears initially to be a cheerful, and light work, but there is an underlying slumbering power which is fully realised in the inspiriting and moving conclusion:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Karlowicz: Violin Concerto

I know this thread is supposed to be for works you're hearing for the first time, and I've heard this one multiple times before. But every time I listen to this gorgeous work, my love for it grows. In fact, I have no shame in proclaiming that it's my favorite violin concerto of all time! I prefer it quite strongly to almost every other Romantic-era violin concerto - the only others that come close for me are Sibelius, Saint-Saens 3, and Dvorak. Composed just one opus number after his "Rebirth" Symphony, which I was recently rather critical of in the WAYLT thread, it is blessed with a heavenly melodic inspiration from beginning to end. The writing for the solo violin is virtuosic but never annoyingly showy, and the orchestral part is superbly woven into the overall fabric of the work and is never subservient to the soloist. In short, it's my idea of a perfect Romantic concerto. There have been a number of fine recordings of this concerto (of which the above recent Tasmin Little is one of the best), but now it's time for it to enter the concert repertoire. Who couldn't love it??

Juon: The complete works for piano trio (Piano Trios nos. 1-3, Litaniae, Legend, and Suite)

Ignore the rather trite cover art (although, come to think of it, the opening ostinato of the Piano Trio no. 1 is rather train-like)! This is a wonderfully consistent, stimulating, enchanting, and original body of work for piano trio worthy of comparison with anything by the greats. Some GMG members have commented positively on Juon's SQs, but to my mind his substantial body of chamber music with piano is his finest achievement. As a Russian-born Swiss composer, Juon's music defies easy categorization, and that is what makes is so unique and appealing to me. Only in the Piano Trio no. 1 can one detect any hints of, say, Brahms. Juon has a wonderfully distinctive voice which is characterized by an engaging sense of fantasy and formal freedom (without lack of structure or cohesion), inspired and striking melodic material, inventive part-writing, and an absolutely delightful folksy influence which can't resist to rear its head often. Oh, and fortunately the performances by the Altenberg Trio Wein are beyond reproach - aside from being technically brilliant, they are totally inside Juon's idiom and play with fire and sensitivity. The highlight of the set might even be the 13-minute Suite, op. 89, which is full of such delicious invention it made me grin from ear to ear. I urge you to hear it! https://youtu.be/X9_v-Ntijd8

Haydn: Piano/Keyboard Concertos nos. 3 (F maj), 4 (G maj), and 11 (D maj)

In lesser performances, these works would probably not have impressed me as much. (I did sample a bit of the "Complete Keyboard Concertos" album on CPO with Melodie Zhao and the Camerata Schweiz under Howard Griffiths and was pretty underwhelmed.) But what absolutely fantastic performances they receive here by Bavouzet and the Manchester Camerata under Gabor Takacs-Nagy! They bring out all the brilliance, wit, and drama in Haydn's music in marvelously full-bodied performances that reject HIP notions of clangy keyboard and thin string tone (okay, that's an over-generalization ;D) while bringing the same kind of dynamic energy that those performances can possess. I hope that these same forces go on to record more of Haydn's keyboard concerti, but in the meantime I see Bavouzet has recorded 9 volumes of Haydn's piano sonatas - should be worth hearing!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

fbjim

My listening to Subotnik has been limited to Silver Apples... up to now- I maybe unfairly tagged him as someone who was more a technical pioneer than a fully fledged great artist, but this and "The Key to Songs" are really, really hitting the spot.

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on August 04, 2021, 08:33:06 PM
Karlowicz: Violin Concerto

I know this thread is supposed to be for works you're hearing for the first time, and I've heard this one multiple times before. But every time I listen to this gorgeous work, my love for it grows. In fact, I have no shame in proclaiming that it's my favorite violin concerto of all time! I prefer it quite strongly to almost every other Romantic-era violin concerto - the only others that come close for me are Sibelius, Saint-Saens 3, and Dvorak. Composed just one opus number after his "Rebirth" Symphony, which I was recently rather critical of in the WAYLT thread, it is blessed with a heavenly melodic inspiration from beginning to end. The writing for the solo violin is virtuosic but never annoyingly showy, and the orchestral part is superbly woven into the overall fabric of the work and is never subservient to the soloist. In short, it's my idea of a perfect Romantic concerto. There have been a number of fine recordings of this concerto (of which the above recent Tasmin Little is one of the best), but now it's time for it to enter the concert repertoire. Who couldn't love it??

Juon: The complete works for piano trio (Piano Trios nos. 1-3, Litaniae, Legend, and Suite)

Ignore the rather trite cover art (although, come to think of it, the opening ostinato of the Piano Trio no. 1 is rather train-like)! This is a wonderfully consistent, stimulating, enchanting, and original body of work for piano trio worthy of comparison with anything by the greats. Some GMG members have commented positively on Juon's SQs, but to my mind his substantial body of chamber music with piano is his finest achievement. As a Russian-born Swiss composer, Juon's music defies easy categorization, and that is what makes is so unique and appealing to me. Only in the Piano Trio no. 1 can one detect any hints of, say, Brahms. Juon has a wonderfully distinctive voice which is characterized by an engaging sense of fantasy and formal freedom (without lack of structure or cohesion), inspired and striking melodic material, inventive part-writing, and an absolutely delightful folksy influence which can't resist to rear its head often. Oh, and fortunately the performances by the Altenberg Trio Wein are beyond reproach - aside from being technically brilliant, they are totally inside Juon's idiom and play with fire and sensitivity. The highlight of the set might even be the 13-minute Suite, op. 89, which is full of such delicious invention it made me grin from ear to ear. I urge you to hear it! https://youtu.be/X9_v-Ntijd8

Haydn: Piano/Keyboard Concertos nos. 3 (F maj), 4 (G maj), and 11 (D maj)

In lesser performances, these works would probably not have impressed me as much. (I did sample a bit of the "Complete Keyboard Concertos" album on CPO with Melodie Zhao and the Camerata Schweiz under Howard Griffiths and was pretty underwhelmed.) But what absolutely fantastic performances they receive here by Bavouzet and the Manchester Camerata under Gabor Takacs-Nagy! They bring out all the brilliance, wit, and drama in Haydn's music in marvelously full-bodied performances that reject HIP notions of clangy keyboard and thin string tone (okay, that's an over-generalization ;D) while bringing the same kind of dynamic energy that those performances can possess. I hope that these same forces go on to record more of Haydn's keyboard concerti, but in the meantime I see Bavouzet has recorded 9 volumes of Haydn's piano sonatas - should be worth hearing!

No one else shares my admiration for these works? :(
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on August 07, 2021, 06:31:19 AM

I have to pass here, Kyle. The Karlowicz features nice moments, but I don't find it as great as you do. In addition, the recording is not the best elther. The solo violin sounds distant. I had to turn the volume up to hear it a little better. Being a Chandos recording, I wonder why this happened.

The Juon Trios impressed me at some extent, but I don't remember them well. As to the Haydn, I'm not familiar with his concertos, so I should rectify that.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: kyjo on August 07, 2021, 06:31:19 AM

I certainly like the Karlowicz concerto a lot (I have 2 versions of it) and the Szymanowski 2 is a firm favourite.

I just ordered some Paul Juon orchestral music. I discovered this composer recently and have been quite impressed.

As for the Haydn concertos I know them well, especially the D major with the rondo all'ungarese. I must say I prefer it in its harpsichord version though. It has definitely more zip than on the modern piano !

Symphonic Addict

Something to really being blown away by!!

Giacinto Scelsi: Hymnos for orchestra

One of those occasions where I got more shocked by a new discovery than other times. A feature that drew my attention is the almost totally absence of rhythm. One of the most gripping, bewitching, atmospheric, haunting, mesmerizing, and epic pieces of music I've ever heard in my life!! The orchestration is given to convey an atmosphere like in a calm-severe and dark-tone alien landscape! A masterpiece of the highest caliber.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 07, 2021, 03:55:28 PM
Something to really being blown away by!!

Giacinto Scelsi: Hymnos for orchestra

One of those occasions where I got more shocked by a new discovery than other times. A feature that drew my attention is the almost totally absence of rhythm. One of the most gripping, bewitching, atmospheric, haunting, mesmerizing, and epic pieces of music I've ever heard in my life!! The orchestration is given to convey an atmosphere like in a calm-severe and dark-tone alien landscape! A masterpiece of the highest caliber.

Yeah, I love that work, too. Scelsi's textures and approach to atmosphere in music is completely singular.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 07, 2021, 07:36:57 PM
Yeah, I love that work, too. Scelsi's textures and approach to atmosphere in music is completely singular.

Exactly, his sound world is fascinating to say the least. I'm eager to hear more works by him.

Noam Chomsky

arpeggio

I am not familiar with the piano music of Bruch:

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).