Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

This is a fabulous CD - one of my best discoveries of this year, especially for the Loeffler, Cowell and Hanson works. The Ruggles was interesting as well, although similar to the 'Sun-treader' but not quite as good:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 07, 2021, 09:34:45 AM
This is a fabulous CD - one of my best discoveries of this year, especially for the Loeffler, Cowell and Hanson works. The Ruggles was interesting as well, although similar to the 'Sun-treader' but not quite as good:

Mine too, Jeffrey. A variegated and appealing program in stupendous recording and renditions.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

A fine disc but I especially enjoyed the Loeffler, a composer I previously never encountered!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: relm1 on October 07, 2021, 05:10:16 PM
A fine disc but I especially enjoyed the Loeffler, a composer I previously never encountered!

Certainly, that is the best piece on the CD for sure. The other three are nothing but impressive and enjoyable as well. Each has its own style and stands out notable musical dexterities: rhythm, orchestral colour, thematic material, etc. The Loeffler is almost psychedelic in certain passages! What a piece.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

I'm very eager to hear this!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 07, 2021, 05:10:16 PM
Me too Karim. I only knew the Pagan Poem before. On the strength of the new Ondine disc I've ordered an all Loeffler CD. He's a much more interesting composer than I realised.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Florestan

Julius Roentgen - String Trios. Fifteen of them and not a single weak one. Haydnesque zest, Mendelssohnian elegance and Dvorakian tunefulness define these splendid works. And to think that they were written in the 1920s by a composer approaching his 80s. Amazing. A major discovery for me. (performed by the Lendvai String Trio)

Haydn - String Quartets Op. 1 and Op. 2. It's astonishing how early Haydn's genius revealed itself. These early SQs are more like divertimenti, being written in 5 movements, yet there is in them an amazing richness of musical ideas and an extraordinary variety of moods and feelings. Impressive. (performed by the Kodaly Quartet)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Maestro267

Schubert: String Quartet No. 15 in G major

First of all, its length. This is a beast of a quartet, about 55 minutes in the recording I have. The first movement alone is 22 mins, and it has another of Schubert's quasi-chromaticisms after the extraordinary Sanctus from the E flat Mass.

kyjo

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 11, 2021, 06:39:30 AM
Schubert: String Quartet No. 15 in G major

First of all, its length. This is a beast of a quartet, about 55 minutes in the recording I have. The first movement alone is 22 mins, and it has another of Schubert's quasi-chromaticisms after the extraordinary Sanctus from the E flat Mass.

Indeed, an extraordinary work. One of Schubert's greatest masterpieces as well as one of my all-time favorite SQs.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Both works on that disc:

I've written about it October 12 in the WAYL2 thread. Further listening revealed even greater riches, a wealth of superb ideas and consummate craft. In the Huit mélodies for soprano and string quartet Karine Deshayes is nothing short of stupendous. She very much reminds me of Véronique Gens, only a notch lighter and younger sounding.

I also highly recommend Marteau's beautiful clarinet quintet. There are half a dozen recordings available to choose from. I would imagine that couplings may help decide.

kyjo

Quote from: André on October 13, 2021, 11:34:36 AM
Both works on that disc:

I've written about it October 12 in the WAYL2 thread. Further listening revealed even greater riches, a wealth of superb ideas and consummate craft. In the Huit mélodies for soprano and string quartet Karine Deshayes is nothing short of stupendous. She very much reminds me of Véronique Gens, only a notch lighter and younger sounding.

I also highly recommend Marteau's beautiful clarinet quintet. There are half a dozen recordings available to choose from. I would imagine that couplings may help decide.

Very interesting, Andre. Thanks!

Symphonic Addict

What an incredibly gripping composition!! Stankovych was another interesting Ukrainian figures of the 20th century. Just mindblowingly mesmerizing and haunting stuff!! A Symphonic Poem is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XQgrAsS8vpQ

Noam Chomsky

André

Good to know, thanks Cesar ! I have some Stankovych and appreciate his works. His Symphony of Pastorals is a gem IMO. 

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on October 19, 2021, 04:09:42 PM
Good to know, thanks Cesar ! I have some Stankovych and appreciate his works. His Symphony of Pastorals is a gem IMO.

I've heard nos. 1-4 at least twice, but not this one, which seems to be his fifth, and it's for violin and orchestra.

This symphonic poem is seriously inspired music. He was a master of suspense and otherwordly atmospheres, and all of that happens here. Another work I find marvelous is Black Elegy for chorus and orchestra.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Sometime last year I stumbled upon a disc of Stankovych's music which had Black Elegy, Symphonic Poem and Ave Maria on it, which I enjoyed.

Florestan

Mozart - March in D major KV 189

Five minutes of pure bliss. Music which could play when one enters Heaven.  :)

DaveF

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2021, 01:59:35 AM
Mozart - March in D major KV 189

Five minutes of pure bliss. Music which could play when one enters Heaven.  :)

Version I have lasts only 3'06".  I'll be in heaven waaay before you  :laugh:
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Florestan

Quote from: DaveF on October 23, 2021, 08:24:45 AM
Version I have lasts only 3'06".  I'll be in heaven waaay before you  :laugh:

If that will be the case, please order a beer for me too!  :laugh:

kyjo

Ben-Haim: Symphony no. 1

I can't believe I'd waited until now to hear this extraordinary work! The outer movements is exciting as hell, with plenty of drama, some folksy touches, and truly convincing sense of narrative. The slow movement is truly magical, building to a lyrically passionate climax. Not to mention the entire work is brilliantly orchestrated from start to finish, and it really doesn't sound much like anyone else. It receives a smoking performance by the BBC Phil under Omer Meir Wellber - I'm sure Hurwitz would never call them the "world's dullest orchestra" again after hearing this recording! ;)