Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: kyjo on May 22, 2022, 11:13:00 AM
Castelnuovo-Tedesco: Violin Concerto no. 1 Concerto Italiano

I had waited too long to hear this extraordinarily enchanting composition! Full of gorgeous lyricism, dazzling violin writing, and colorful orchestration (including an organ part!), this concerto would be a veritable hit in the concert hall. But no, we must hear the umpteenth rendition of the VCs by Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Bruch, Sibelius, etc... ::) Oh, and fortunately the performance and sonics on the Naxos CD are superb - Tianwa Yang is an excellent violinist who employs appropriate portamenti to great effect. I'm looking forward to revisiting the Hollywoodesque VC no. 2 in the coming days.

I expected a reply from Cesar! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 24, 2022, 06:45:08 AM
I expected a reply from Cesar! ;)

Well, we can't always expect replies from people in this place, even if they have similar tastes to oneself. I've also expected replies from some members here when I post impressions about some works in different threads, but they never appear. I think it got normal.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 24, 2022, 01:47:05 PM
Well, we can't always expect replies from people in this place, even if they have similar tastes to oneself. I've also expected replies from some members here when I post impressions about some works in different threads, but they never appear. I think it got normal.

Personally speaking, I'm getting to the point where I simply cannot comment on everything, especially on the "Listening" thread. I'm more interested in listening to the music I post about in that moment or, at least, on that particular thread I am.

vandermolen

There's a lot of traffic on this particular thread and it's easy to miss things, especially if one is busy with other stuff going on.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I was blown away by the recent toccata release of Christopher Wright's (b.1954) symphony.  It's very good!  This is right up there with the Moeran Symphony No. 1 and Arthur Benjamin Symphony.   I will certainly explore this composer further.

https://toccataclassics.com/product/wright-barton-orchestral-music/

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 29, 2022, 04:41:20 PM
I was blown away by the recent toccata release of Christopher Wright's (b.1954) symphony.  It's very good!  This is right up there with the Moeran Symphony No. 1 and Arthur Benjamin Symphony.   I will certainly explore this composer further.

https://toccataclassics.com/product/wright-barton-orchestral-music/

Interesting - although the sample extracts did not especially grab me. The Moeran and Benjamin are two of my favourite 20th Century symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on May 31, 2022, 12:58:06 PM
Interesting - although the sample extracts did not especially grab me. The Moeran and Benjamin are two of my favourite 20th Century symphonies.

Please check it out.  It's a great work!

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 31, 2022, 04:09:29 PM
Please check it out.  It's a great work!
OK - will do - thanks.

This has been a major discovery for me - Léon Orthel: Symphony No.3 (1943)
Very much, I believe, reflecting the time of its composition. A defiant work written in occupied Netherlands. The opening is a disguised quote from Psalm 140 'Evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him'. The opening movement has some especially beautiful passages and the symphony, as a whole, is urgent, powerful, defiant and visionary. Vaughan Williams (6th Symphony) came to mind at times:

Mirror Image

A work that has blown me away recently has been Schulhoff's Concertino for Piccolo, Viola and Double Bass. What an unusual instrumentation, but the music is so infectious. It would go great on a program of jazz-inspired works by Stravinsky, Martinů, Tansman et. al. The recording I listened to was this one, which is a superb performance:

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 07:04:19 AM
A work that has blown me away recently has been Schulhoff's Concertino for Piccolo, Viola and Double Bass. What an unusual instrumentation

For exactly the same reason I've immensely enjoyed very recently Leopold Kozeluch's Sinfonia Concertante for Mandolin, Trumpet, Double Bass, Piano and Orchestra.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 01, 2022, 07:26:10 AM
For exactly the same reason I've immensely enjoyed very recently Leopold Kozeluch's Sinfonia Concertante for Mandolin, Trumpet, Double Bass, Piano and Orchestra.

Well, the instrumentation, while unique, is only secondary compared to the music itself, which in this Schulhoff work is off-the-chain great.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 07:41:35 AM
Well, the instrumentation, while unique, is only secondary compared to the music itself, which in this Schulhoff work is off-the-chain great.

I'm sure it is, John. I'm also sure that a fan of the Classical era would find the Kozeluch just as great.  ;)

No, really --- the way he blends such incongruous instruments in a coherent and musically satisfying whole is amazing and highly entertaining. Big fun.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

kyjo

Sinding: Symphonies 1 and 2

Two big, bold, exhilarating Late-Romantic symphonies - what's not to love? Sinding hasn't always impressed me, but these two symphonies represent him at the top of his game. The 1st Symphony, in D minor, begins with a tempestuous first movement in 6/8 which recalls the first movement of Dvorak's 7th in character, and has an immediately memorable main theme. The slow movement is notable for rising to several passionate climaxes, the sparkling scherzo transforms some material from the first movement, and the finale works up quite an exciting peroration at the end. The 2nd Symphony, in D major, opens with a heroic first movement that shows some Straussian influence in the harmonies. The slow movement is just lovely, and the finale thoroughly enjoyable. And the performances by the Hanover Radio-Philharmonie under Thomas Dausgaard are just simply magnificent, full of punch, thrust, and vitality. They sound like a world-class orchestra, in particular the powerful playing of the brass section, aided in no small part by CPO's expert sonics. A real winner of a disc!

P.S. CPO has the best cover art of any label, hands-down!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 02, 2022, 10:13:01 AM

Two big, bold, exhilarating Late-Romantic symphonies - what's not to love? Sinding hasn't always impressed me, but these two symphonies represent him at the top of his game. The 1st Symphony, in D minor, begins with a tempestuous first movement in 6/8 which recalls the first movement of Dvorak's 7th in character, and has an immediately memorable main theme. The slow movement is notable for rising to several passionate climaxes, the sparkling scherzo transforms some material from the first movement, and the finale works up quite an exciting peroration at the end. The 2nd Symphony, in D major, opens with a heroic first movement that shows some Straussian influence in the harmonies. The slow movement is just lovely, and the finale thoroughly enjoyable. And the performances by the Hanover Radio-Philharmonie under Thomas Dausgaard are just simply magnificent, full of punch, thrust, and vitality. They sound like a world-class orchestra, in particular the powerful playing of the brass section, aided in no small part by CPO's expert sonics. A real winner of a disc!

I do recall being very impressed by his 1st Symphony. I'll need to revisit the 2nd Symphony then.

Another work of his I find significantly strong is the Piano Quintet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 02, 2022, 01:28:23 PM
I do recall being very impressed by his 1st Symphony. I'll need to revisit the 2nd Symphony then.

Another work of his I find significantly strong is the Piano Quintet.

The 2nd Symphony isn't as thematically memorable as the 1st, perhaps, but it's still a consistently enjoyable work. Thanks for the tip about the Piano Quintet, I'll check it out!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: philoctetes on June 05, 2022, 10:01:31 AM
The final movement of Mahler's 2nd has been causing me to weep uncontrollably (love it), specifically the two linked below:

Christian Vasquez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fih2yhHzA

Gustavo Dudamel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbovYqWT-LM

I genuinely think its wonderful when any music moves someone so powerfully - good for you!  The choir in Venezuela are so focused (not so keen on the soprano!)

relm1

Quote from: philoctetes on June 05, 2022, 10:01:31 AM
The final movement of Mahler's 2nd has been causing me to weep uncontrollably (love it), specifically the two linked below:

Christian Vasquez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3fih2yhHzA

Gustavo Dudamel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbovYqWT-LM

This might be the pinnacle of symphonies.  And these are very fine performances. 

springrite

Quote from: kyjo on June 02, 2022, 10:13:01 AM

I have #3 and #4 but have not heard the first two.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on June 10, 2022, 02:42:46 AM
I have #3 and #4 but have not heard the first two.

Re. Sinding's symphonies: #3 has its moments, but overall struck me as rather diffuse and unmemorable. Haven't heard #4 yet.

Symphonic Addict

‎Ståle Kleiberg: String Quartet No. 1

I thought it deserved to be mentioned. A gorgeous work, I wish it were longer (19 min. long). Ravel and Vasks could be associated with this style.

Noam Chomsky