Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on September 10, 2016, 06:42:35 PM
Ginastera is one of my favorites.  He ranks forty-seventh in my library.  I have fifty recordings (now fifty-one) in my library.  If I factor out the duplicates, like the five copies of Estancia I still have recordings of over forty works.

Sony just released the only recording of Ginastera's opera Bomarzo.  Of course I snatched it up as soon as it was released.  I mentioned this in the "Purchases Today" Thread.

I love it.  Reminds me of a Spanish Lulu.  If one likes Lulu and late Ginastera they will love this.   

This is something I should probably check out then when I am in an opera sort of mood! :D

nathanb

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on September 10, 2016, 05:03:16 PM
I think I need to take guidance from our friend Nathanb and purposefully limited the music I listen to. I discover too much on a daily basis to keep up with a lot of it.
New sounds are great, BUT when I'm not familiarising myself enough with them, I fail for a lot of pieces to mean something to me.

I'm considering listening to only:

Bartok's Sonata for Two Piano's and Percussion
Mahler's Wonderhorn
The obligatory Xenakis
And Lilburn's third Symphony

For a whole week.

;)

I've listened to nothing for the last 5 days but 33 discs worth of Cage, and I ain't complaining.

But I only really do it because I need to. I tend to get really aimless and hopeless when I don't force myself to have some semblance of structure. Personal experience has told me this. And not just musically speaking.

Other things I recommend: set aside time to listen to large box sets and collections with nothing in between. More than a couple of times now, I'll throw on the first disc of Donaueschinger Musiktage 2006, and before it's over, I'll tell myself that I'm not allowed to listen to anything else until I've listened through the final pieces of Donaueschinger Musiktage 2014.

Not only does this force a special kind of discipline and focus, but it usually tends to reliably increase your appreciation of the subject. It's musical intimacy really. For this week, I'm musically monogamous ;)

Ken B

I guess I'm not the only one who still finds, after decades of listening, stunning new stuff regularly.

lisa needs braces

have u guys heard this piece called fur elise omg sooooo goooood

Andante

Quote from: -abe- on September 10, 2016, 07:33:46 PM
have u guys heard this piece called fur elise omg sooooo goooood
No! how does it go?
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Reckoner

Rautavaara: Vigilia

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/rautavaara-vigilia

This was the first choral work of ER's that I had heard, and it is compelling, particularly the first half or so. Some beautiful harmonies, gorgeous writing for Bass, and totally exotic vocal effects in the form of glissandos and what not.

lisa needs braces

Quote from: Andante on September 10, 2016, 08:22:34 PM
No! how does it go?

Everyone knows it!

Did you know it was LvB's primary way of getting laid? He'd be like, "here, I have composed a piece for you my lady. I call it, 'For Sarah.' Let me show you, come closer..." Except he'd do it over and over again with different women. Finally one of the women became aware of his ruse and boxed his ears, which caused his hearing loss.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Toshio Hosokawa: Saxophone Concerto

I listened to this for the first time ever last night and I'm really feeling that I need to listen to it more and more....I really love the way the soloist is introduced in this concerto! Wow!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Charlotte Bray: At the Speed of Stillness.

Really good video, nice to hear the composer talk about her work as well. The piece itself starts around 3:20 in:

https://www.youtube.com/v/DPjwZiFO3p8

Florestan

Brahms
Scherzo in B-flat minor op. 4

A remarkably beautiful and coherent piece for a first composition (the opus number is misleading, this is the first extant work of Brahms, composed in 1851).

https://www.youtube.com/v/uka3r__32yY

Mozart
Kyrie in F major KV 33

The first thought that camew into my mind after the first few bars: Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3ee0rwFaSsE
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I enjoyed that Mozart very much Florestan! I'm especially a fan of his many Masses and other liturgical works. What are your favourites?

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on September 14, 2016, 04:10:31 AM
Brahms
Scherzo in B-flat minor op. 4

A remarkably beautiful and coherent piece for a first composition (the opus number is misleading, this is the first extant work of Brahms, composed in 1851).
It's a marvelous piece, indeed. Remember though that Brahms had written a fair number of works at that point - he just destroyed the lot after Schumann's article.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

Another odd thing about the Brahms's scherzo is that Brahms supposedly claimed he had not known the Chopin scherzi when he wrote it but it does sound damn close to some passages of these works...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: jessop on September 14, 2016, 05:17:41 AM
I enjoyed that Mozart very much Florestan! I'm especially a fan of his many Masses and other liturgical works. What are your favourites?

To my shame I must confess that besides the Coronation Mass and the Requiem Mozart's sacred music is virtually unkown to me, a state of affairs which I intend to redress just these days, with the help of Messrs Harnoncourt, Neumann and Philips Mozart Edition. A project that will run parallel to that of chronologically listening to Brahms's complete works on DG.

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on September 14, 2016, 06:53:17 AM
Another odd thing about the Brahms's scherzo is that Brahms supposedly claimed he had not known the Chopin scherzi when he wrote it but it does sound damn close to some passages of these works...

Right from the beginning, actually.  :D

Visions_fugitives

Schumann's Violinsonate no.2 op.121, in particular the third movement, "Leise, einfach".

Simply outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJc1RhzF9w0

North Star

Quote from: Visions_fugitives on September 14, 2016, 09:09:20 AM
Schumann's Violinsonate no.2 op.121, in particular the third movement, "Leise, einfach".

Simply outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJc1RhzF9w0
That certainly is a beauty!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on September 14, 2016, 07:08:43 AM
To my shame I must confess that besides the Coronation Mass and the Requiem Mozart's sacred music is virtually unkown to me ....

Hmmph. Romanians.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on September 14, 2016, 09:24:20 AM
Hmmph. Romanians.

That´s right. Our ears are more accustomed to things like an All-Night Vigil or a Liturgy of St. John Chrysostomus than to a Mass.   ;D