Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I think that first movement of Brahms op.111, especially the beginning borders at the "overdone", trying to make a chamber ensemble sound more orchestral than it plausibly can or should. (It hardly ever works and leads to the silly notion that composers would write string quartets or quintets when they or their material wasn't "good enough" for a "real symphony", or that chamber music is like black and white sketching compared to orchestral oil painting or whatever...)
Admittedly, if done well, it is a great effect but it's borderline. I somewhat heretically overall prefer the 1st quintet, partly because I am not overly fond of the "Vienna prater & hungarian gypsies" connotations of the G major work...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Luke

The Brahms String Quartets are masterpieces, IMO. Especially the two minor key ones, which I actually think are among his finest and most powerful chamber works (there's a reason Schoenberg took the C minor as example when illustrating the sophistication, intensity and forward-thinking of Brahms' motivic writing and developing variation form). The idea that they are too clogged texturally gets repeated until it is taken for granted but I don't see or hear it. They are just teeming with ideas and a headlong drive. Just my opinion, of course, but I don't think anyone should be steered away from these pieces, they are too good to miss.

Jo498

I agree and I also prefer the op.51 (the a minor is my favorite) to the op.67 with its particular brand of Brahmsian neoclassicism. The 3rd movement of the c minor used to be difficult for me and needs IMO attention by the performers otherwise it can get a bit tedious but I love the dramatic sweep of its outer movements.
While I can understand that lyrical and atmospheric pieces like the first violin sonata or the clarinet quintet are easier to appreciate than the 3 quartets I don't think they are particularly thorny and the features that might be difficult for some listeners can be found in other pieces as well.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brahmsian

Count me in as another big fan of Brahms' string quartets, especially the first one being my personal favourite. I really don't understand the rather "negative" rap these have received in comparison to his other chamber works.

Probably the first string quartet is my top five Brahms' chamber works, along with:

Clarinet/Viola Sonata No. 1
Piano Quartet No. 3
String Sextet No. 1
Clarinet Trio

Brahmsian

That all being said and even though I think Brahms' chamber works are universally great, I struggle with the Piano Quartet No. 2 in A major, Op. 26. That one tries my patience.  :-\

Maestro267

While I enjoyed the Brahms string quartets there were other works I'd place over those. Considering the String Quartet is the primary form of chamber music, acquiring a prestige akin to the Symphony's place in orchestral music. So I can see the mixed reaction they get.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on March 03, 2023, 08:06:45 PMIf only the first movement of the String Quintet no. 2 in G major survived from Brahms' output, it would be enough for me to consider him a great composer. An absolutely remarkable tour-de-force of a movement, full of textural and rhythmic complexity, unbounded energy, and heartfelt melodies. The other movements of the piece are fine, but they have a hard time living up to that magnificent opening movement IMO.

Indeed, I ADORE that work so much; the movements 2-4 seem unbalanced taking into account the length of the 1st mov., but even so I think the Quintet is imbued with some of the most refined music Brahms wrote IMO.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

relm1

I really enjoy this brief work.

Brian

I finally jumped on the bandwagon that has been traveling around GMG for the last few days, and tried Casella's Concerto for Orchestra (the Chandos recording). Wow! It's by far my favorite Casella. Totally incredible. Would love to see this live. And the BBC bass drum has great oomph at the end.

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on March 09, 2023, 10:06:50 AMI finally jumped on the bandwagon that has been traveling around GMG for the last few days, and tried Casella's Concerto for Orchestra (the Chandos recording). Wow! It's by far my favorite Casella. Totally incredible. Would love to see this live. And the BBC bass drum has great oomph at the end.

Oh yes, it's such a great work, isn't it? Two energetic, life-affirming outer movements surrounding a central Passacaglia of great depth and beauty (there's a particularly spine-tingling passage about 4 minutes in). Are you familiar with his 3rd Symphony (Sinfonia)? It's in a very similar vein stylistically, and is equally great in quality IMO.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mapman

Bernstein: Chichester Psalms

The opening is a bit harsh, but the rest of the 1st movement is rhythmic and fun. The 2nd movement has an interesting structure: 2 psalms in contrasting styles which are then superimposed. The third movement is incredibly beautiful (and mostly in 5). Bernstein's music continues to impress me. (I think my favorite Bernstein works so far are Symphony #2 and Symphonic Dances from West Side Story.)

Mapman

Romberg: String Quartet in A Minor, Op. 2/2

The finale has a great melody! It's immediately memorable. It's also cool how it is transformed from minor to major for the end of the movement. The opening theme of the first movement is also good, with effective use of pauses (where one might expect repetition of the previous notes). In the recapitulation, this first theme is changed to major, and the pauses are filled in. The minuet and trio also has an interesting structure: instead of repeating the  minuet, a new minuet developed from the original is played. The Op. 2 quartets were dedicated to Haydn, and there are some similarities.

Spotify link to finale: https://open.spotify.com/track/5z5SuXj647LOe3tTguj79J?si=0417909ed2a74adc

Symphonic Addict

Korngold: Baby Serenade

I had zero recollections of this work, I don't recall having heard it before, and it's a most lovely, glistening, sparkling, entertaining, even sexy creation! Korngold's exquisite ear for orchestration in full display. Each of its short five movements possess such charm that is hard not to be delighted by them, mostly the first two movements. Fabulous music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

pjme

Roukens concerto for two pianos, this morning on the radio. It matched perfectly the spring storm.

and then I thought of this Furioso e marcato....

This concerto exisits also in a version for two pianos......

Defossez's concerto was written for the 1956 Queen Elisabeth competition. Here you can listen to Ashkenazy, Vasary, Ousset, Berman, Knor, Browning, Frankl and Czajkowski...performing (parts) of that work.

kyjo

Quote from: Løvfald on March 24, 2023, 07:14:46 PMKorngold: Baby Serenade

I had zero recollections of this work, I don't recall having heard it before, and it's a most lovely, glistening, sparkling, entertaining, even sexy creation! Korngold's exquisite ear for orchestration in full display. Each of its short five movements possess such charm that is hard not to be delighted by them, mostly the first two movements. Fabulous music.

Oh yes! Korngold at his most glittering, witty, and lighthearted. I recall being especially delighted by the opening movement with its colorful writing for saxophones. One aspect of Korngold's compositional personality that's often overlooked is his genuine sense of humor!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Aarre Merikanto: Piano Trio in A minor (1917)

https://youtu.be/POXWeKNlIL4

A marvelously melodic and atmospheric work from Merikanto's early, late-romantic phase. Like most Nordic composers, Merikanto unfortunately didn't compose much chamber music, but according to Wikipedia he wrote at least two SQs which I'd very much like to hear (there don't seem to be any recordings available).

Stjepan Šulek (1914-86): Symphony no. 4 (1954)

https://youtu.be/DB_qIqpcNyc

Based on what little I've heard by this Croatian composer, I'd say his output is certainly long overdue for some attention by the record companies (CPO take note)! Fortunately, many of his works are available on YouTube, and in generally pretty good performances and sound, as in the 4th Symphony. Šulek's idiom is tonal and very clearly rooted in the grand symphonic tradition, but he certainly doesn't shy away from some grinding, dissonant climaxes when appropriate. The opening of the symphony is an immediately recognizable 20th century "re-imagining" of the opening of Brahms 1, and what follows is a half-hour fireball of a piece full of great drama and excitement. The finale is particularly thrilling with a quite catchy main theme.

Britten: Violin Concerto

My first time hearing this masterwork in several years, and boy, it blew me away even more than it had before! It's unquestionably one of the greatest VCs ever written and one of Britten's most personal utterances IMO, charting a deeply compelling emotional journey and full of brilliant virtuoso writing for the soloist and always-imaginative orchestration. The center of gravity of the work is the substantial Passacaglia finale, which constantly teeters on the fine and sometimes elusive line between dark and light (often represented by a struggle between major and minor tonality). This recording by Janine Jansen and the LSO under Paavo Jarvi is stunning in every way, far superior IMO to the "classic" Mark Lubotsky/Britten recording (Britten is fine of course, but Lubotsky has an unpleasant tone to my ears). It's great to see this piece getting more attention by top-tier violinists recently!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on March 25, 2023, 06:05:12 PMAarre Merikanto: Piano Trio in A minor (1917)

https://youtu.be/POXWeKNlIL4

A marvelously melodic and atmospheric work from Merikanto's early, late-romantic phase. Like most Nordic composers, Merikanto unfortunately didn't compose much chamber music, but according to Wikipedia he wrote at least two SQs which I'd very much like to hear (there don't seem to be any recordings available).

Stjepan Šulek (1914-86): Symphony no. 4 (1954)

https://youtu.be/DB_qIqpcNyc

Based on what little I've heard by this Croatian composer, I'd say his output is certainly long overdue for some attention by the record companies (CPO take note)! Fortunately, many of his works are available on YouTube, and in generally pretty good performances and sound, as in the 4th Symphony. Šulek's idiom is tonal and very clearly rooted in the grand symphonic tradition, but he certainly doesn't shy away from some grinding, dissonant climaxes when appropriate. The opening of the symphony is an immediately recognizable 20th century "re-imagining" of the opening of Brahms 1, and what follows is a half-hour fireball of a piece full of great drama and excitement. The finale is particularly thrilling with a quite catchy main theme.

Thumbs up for the Sulek, I remember being impressed by most of his 8 symphonies, and the Merikanto sounds enticing.

Noam Chomsky

Skogwald

I have tried to get into opera recently and the works that have made the biggest impact so far are these:

vandermolen

Anna Clyne 'Dance' for Cello and Orchestra
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Skogwald on March 31, 2023, 11:27:20 AM

This opera gave me a strong impression as well. Szymanowski's opus magnum in my view.

Noam Chomsky