The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Pieces that have blown you away recently

<< < (2/385) > >>

ComposerOfAvantGarde:
I was recently blown away by Contretemps by Aperghis. I've heard only one work of his prior to this which I enjoyed...I think it was called 'Teeter-totter,' but it was certainly 'Contretemps' which has made me an Aperghis fan!

arpeggio:

--- Quote from: Rinaldo on September 09, 2016, 02:27:00 PM ---Blown away, hmm.. it's been awhile, but Luc Brewaeys' Talisker, courtesy of pjme's in memoriam thread

--- End quote ---

Wow!!  Very effective use of multiphonics with the woodwinds.  From Faure to Brewaeys.  This would drive some of the ultraconservatives in my old forum nuts.

Andante:

--- Quote from: jessop on September 09, 2016, 04:23:36 PM ---I was recently blown away by Contretemps by Aperghis. I've heard only one work of his prior to this which I enjoyed...I think it was called 'Teeter-totter,' but it was certainly 'Contretemps' which has made me an Aperghis fan!

--- End quote ---

Re your link, you like this type of thing fair enough, but what is it that you find so enjoyable? I am serious and curious.

Brewski:

--- Quote from: jessop on September 09, 2016, 04:23:36 PM ---I was recently blown away by Contretemps by Aperghis. I've heard only one work of his prior to this which I enjoyed...I think it was called 'Teeter-totter,' but it was certainly 'Contretemps' which has made me an Aperghis fan!

--- End quote ---

Though I haven't heard Contretemps, I love Aperghis, ever since seeing some of his Récitations for solo voice. Recently the Talea Ensemble here has done Le Corps à corps, a short piece for solo percussionist.

Even more ambitious, the fantastic video of Luna Park, an hour-long multimedia piece. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/biTGIRROgZA

To address the thread, this blew me away.

--Bruce

ComposerOfAvantGarde:

--- Quote from: Andante on September 09, 2016, 07:05:50 PM ---Re your link, you like this type of thing fair enough, but what is it that you find so enjoyable? I am serious and curious.

--- End quote ---

I find the vocal writing to be delightful in particular. Having heard it only once, i recall being very attracted to the orchestration and found the pace thrilling (especially during the first three minutes and similar moments to it). Do you like it as well? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version