Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

P. Glass - Concerto Fantasy for two timpanists and orchestra

This is truly awesome. Glass is not a composer of my predilection, but this piece ranks very high for me now. It's sheer excitement, you feel invigorated when hearing. As the timpani are one of my favorite instruments, this work fits perfectly to my tastes. Originality and thrill to say the least.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 16, 2018, 10:11:19 PM

This is truly awesome. Glass is not a composer of my predilection, but this piece ranks very high for me now. It's sheer excitement, you feel invigorated when hearing. As the timpani are one of my favorite instruments, this work fits perfectly to my tastes. Originality and thrill to say the least.

Nice! I've been meaning to check out this work for some time. I love the thrilling, dynamic energy the timpani creates, so this concerto ought to be a treat!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Jaakko Keskinen

Once again another Rimsky-Korsakov opera that I am amazed by. First The Golden Cockerel, then Sadko, then Snow Maiden and now the magnificent The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

kyjo

Jean-Michel Damase's Symphonie (1952), courtesy of Jeffrey's recommendation. Words cannot express what a gloriously uplifting work this is!! The ominous opening is a bit of a "red herring", as the first movement eventually develops into a lovely "rolling" tune that gathers an increasingly ecstatic tread until the end of the movement, bringing to mind a gorgeous sunrise. The remaining two movements are no less attractive and inspiriting. I love this kind of life-enhancing, accessible music from the 20th century (Atterberg, Braga Santos, Damase, Hanson, Martinu, etc.)  - in most musicological accounts of the music of this century, it's pretty much ignored in favor of Schoenberg, Boulez, Stockhausen and the rest of the avant-garde scene, which I think is a very sore misjudgment. Huge tap tip to Jeffrey for this marvelous discovery! :)

[asin]B00M2D7MY0[/asin]

https://youtu.be/YFQS4AEpaI4
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2018, 06:45:59 AM
I love this kind of life-enhancing, accessible music from the 20th century (Atterberg, Braga Santos, Damase, Hanson, Martinu, etc.)  - in most musicological accounts of the music of this century, it's pretty much ignored in favor of Schoenberg, Boulez, Stockhausen and the rest of the avant-garde scene, which I think is a very sore misjudgment.

There are no rules. Pleasure is the law. - Claude Debussy

Woe unto you, Adorno and Boulez influenced 20-th century musicologists, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in - Florestan

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 20, 2018, 06:52:13 AM
There are no rules. Pleasure is the law. - Claude Debussy

Woe unto you, Adorno and Boulez influenced 20-th century musicologists, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in - Florestan

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I knew you'd agree with me, Andrei!  :D 8)

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2018, 06:56:44 AM
I knew you'd agree with me, Andrei!  :D 8)

I always do, ... (wooops, I forgot your name   :( please remind me, I promise never to forget it again.)

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on August 20, 2018, 07:01:53 AM
I always do, ... (wooops, I forgot your name   :( please remind me, I promise never to forget it again.)

The name's Kyle.  8)

Florestan

TheGSMoeller

I know I've posted this disc on several other threads, but the Symphony in C minor from Anton Zimmermann is wonderful. Listened to it for the first time this week, and twice since the initial spin.

Florestan

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 20, 2018, 07:23:27 AM
I know I've posted this disc on several other threads, but the Symphony in C minor from Anton Zimmermann is wonderful. Listened to it for the first time this week, and twice since the initial spin.

Duly noted as well, thanks!

GioCar

Listening to Dusapin's String Quartets (the first five) for the first time.

[asin]B0031Q8VZ6[/asin]
They are really good! No.2 (Time Zones) is possibly that one that struck me most, but all five, written between 1982 and 2005, are compelling indeed (except perhaps the early No.1).
Can't wait to listen to the more recent No.6 (with orchestra) and No.7.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

motoboy

I caught some of Suk's Asrael symphony on P.T. last week. It really struck me as something special. Looking forward to finding a recording and digging into it.

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2018, 06:45:59 AM
Jean-Michel Damase's Symphonie (1952), courtesy of Jeffrey's recommendation. Words cannot express what a gloriously uplifting work this is!! The ominous opening is a bit of a "red herring", as the first movement eventually develops into a lovely "rolling" tune that gathers an increasingly ecstatic tread until the end of the movement, bringing to mind a gorgeous sunrise. The remaining two movements are no less attractive and inspiriting. I love this kind of life-enhancing, accessible music from the 20th century (Atterberg, Braga Santos, Damase, Hanson, Martinu, etc.)  - in most musicological accounts of the music of this century, it's pretty much ignored in favor of Schoenberg, Boulez, Stockhausen and the rest of the avant-garde scene, which I think is a very sore misjudgment. Huge tap tip to Jeffrey for this marvelous discovery! :)

[asin]B00M2D7MY0[/asin]

https://youtu.be/YFQS4AEpaI4

A very fine work and I can't deny disappointment there weren't many more symphonies to explore from this composer.  I also hear Bax and Prokofiev influences. 

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on August 26, 2018, 05:34:18 PM
A very fine work and I can't deny disappointment there weren't many more symphonies to explore from this composer.  I also hear Bax and Prokofiev influences.

I agree - it's a real shame that Damase didn't write more symphonies or more large-scale works in general.

kyjo

Alwyn's Symphony no. 3. A gripping, dramatic work that (apparently) uses twelve-tone methods, but in a very tonal and accessible way (don't ask me how!). I especially loved Alwyn's writing for the percussion throughout the work. There's also some lovely lyrical passages in the slow movement and near the end of the finale. At the work's premiere, John Ireland controversially declared that it was the greatest British symphony since Elgar's 2nd (it was written 1955-56) - well, I dunno about that, since that excludes the entirety of RVW's cycle - but it's certainly a really fine, well-constructed work which makes a big impression.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 16, 2018, 10:11:19 PM

More temptation!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Alberich on August 17, 2018, 07:49:03 AM
Once again another Rimsky-Korsakov opera that I am amazed by. First The Golden Cockerel, then Sadko, then Snow Maiden and now the magnificent The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh.
I love the Suite from the Invisible City of Kitezh. One of my favourite works by RK.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 26, 2018, 07:43:46 PM
Alwyn's Symphony no. 3. A gripping, dramatic work that (apparently) uses twelve-tone methods, but in a very tonal and accessible way (don't ask me how!). I especially loved Alwyn's writing for the percussion throughout the work. There's also some lovely lyrical passages in the slow movement and near the end of the finale. At the work's premiere, John Ireland controversially declared that it was the greatest British symphony since Elgar's 2nd (it was written 1955-56) - well, I dunno about that, since that excludes the entirety of RVW's cycle - but it's certainly a really fine, well-constructed work which makes a big impression.
Coincidentally I have been listening to this work as well Kyle. I think that the Hickox version is the best although I have three other versions ( ::)) including the premiere performance under Beecham. Yes, I'm not sure that I'd agree that it's the greatest British symphony since Elgar but it is a very fine score in every respect. In fact Alwyn is a composer whose work continues to give me great pleasure. The biggest mystery to me is why his Violin Concerto is so ignored. I think that IS one of the finest British violin concertos. The Chandos CD coupling the VC with Symphony 3 is perhaps my favourite Alwyn disc.

Of course I'm delighted that the Damase 'Symphonie' has been such a hit with you.

A work that has really struck me recently is 'The Taking of T'ung Kuan' by Jacob Avshalomov, for which I have relm1 to thank. It only lasts eight minutes but is a powerful, craggy, tonal and dramatic score which I have played many times since receiving the CD (a 1952 performance with Stokowski conducting):
[asin]B000JJSP72[/asin]