Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: pjme on July 05, 2019, 05:13:10 AM
I think it is a "flute à coulisse".
https://youtu.be/y3QLKyPX4M0

Ravel used it in L'enfant et les sortilèges. It features often in old funny films soundtracks (Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry etc.)

Thank you, Peter! You are quite the fount of knowledge, as always!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

pjme

Merci beaucoup. You're welcome. I remember quite well a recording with Dagmar Baloghova on Supraphon. I love that concerto!
Have a nice day!

And, actually, the scoring of this concerto may be even more complicated.

Schott music gives a detailed list:

Picc. · 1 · 1 · Engl. Hr. · 1 · Bassklar. · 1 · Kfg. (Kontrafagott)- 2 · 1 · 0 · 0 -
P. S. (Trgl. · Gl. · Kuhgl. · Beck. · Tamb. · jap. Tr. · Mil. Tr. · Rührtr. · gr. Tr. · Ratsche · Sir. (Torpedo) · Lachteufel · Amboss · Glsp. · Xyl.) (9 Spieler) - Hfe. - Str.

Translation:
triangle
bell & cow bell
Cymbals
Japanese drum(s?)
Military drum
Snare drum
Bass drum
Ratsche = guiro or rattle ?
Siren = Torpedo = Torpedopfeife , so, it is NOT a "flûte à coulisse"!! http://thewhistlegallery.com/spotlight/096-torpedo-sirens

Lachteufel? Laughing bag / sac à rire. However, Wikipedia tells me that the laughing bag was invented in  1968.
The (rubber) whoopee cushion dates back tot he roaring twenties....???
What else can a "Lachteufel" be?

Anvil
Glockenspiel
Xylophone

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on July 05, 2019, 06:41:07 AMYou are quite the fount of knowledge, as always!
Exactly! Learned more from Peter than from anyone else, I think.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

pjme

(.... hides in a dark corner and blushes...)  ;D

Andy D.

I seem to have had a major revelation when it came to Russian composers this year. Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and Rachmaninoff have been massively inspiring to me, where even this time last year I continued to be mostly lukewarm (I was always a fan of the Tchai 6th, but the Currentzis performance really hit me hardest).

Andy D.

Quote from: Andy D. on July 19, 2019, 05:14:51 AM
I seem to have had a major revelation when it came to Russian composers this year. Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and Rachmaninoff have been massively inspiring to me, whereas even this time last year I was mostly lukewarm (I was always a fan of the Tchai 6th, but the Currentzis performance really hit me hardest).

schnittkease

Quote from: Andy D. on July 19, 2019, 05:14:51 AM
I seem to have had a major revelation when it came to Russian composers this year. Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, and Rachmaninoff have been massively inspiring to me, where even this time last year I continued to be mostly lukewarm (I was always a fan of the Tchai 6th, but the Currentzis performance really hit me hardest).

Now try some Schnittke!

André

Quartet no 2 by Pavel Haas. A stunning work.

Andy D.

Andy D.

Without question, the Shostakovich Symphony 8 has been the piece that has blown me away recently. Not far from that status are the 10th and 11th.

71 dB

John Rutter - Suite Antique

Easy, beautiful, comforting, colorful and smiling music to help people with anxiety.  0:)

(Naxos 8.573146 - Harpsichord Concerts. The Glass and Francaix pieces are nice too, but Rutter blew me away.)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Andy D.

Shostakovich again! The Barshai and Petrenko recordings of the Leningrad symphony really helped me click. I must admit to being weirded out that some people consider this piece a hack job.

Ken B

Quote from: Andy D. on August 01, 2019, 03:53:14 PM
Shostakovich again! The Barshai and Petrenko recordings of the Leningrad symphony really helped me click. I must admit to being weirded out that some people consider this piece a hack job.
Have you heard his cello concerti? Especially #2 — seek out the Ozawa/Rostropovich recording.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2019, 03:11:58 PM

Easy, beautiful, comforting, colorful and smiling music to help people with anxiety.  0:)

(Naxos 8.573146 - Harpsichord Concerts. The Glass and Francaix pieces are nice too, but Rutter blew me away.)

I've heard nothing by that composer so far. Interesting suggestion. Thank you!

Andy D.

Quote from: Ken B on August 01, 2019, 05:36:37 PM
Have you heard his cello concerti? Especially #2 — seek out the Ozawa/Rostropovich recording.

Will be checking out more of Shosty's Kammermusik soon...I love Rostropovich!

71 dB

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 01, 2019, 05:42:47 PM
I've heard nothing by that composer so far. Interesting suggestion. Thank you!

You're welcome.

This was my first taste of Rutter, but it certainly made me interested of his other stuff!  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2019, 03:11:58 PM

The Requiem is well worth hearing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Just made a most wonderful discovery - the tone poem Aurora by William Lloyd Webber (yes, the father of the much more famous Andrew and Julian). This is sensuous, incandescent music depicting the Roman goddess of the dawn. The main theme that appears a minute or so into the piece is a glorious gift of a melody that has staying power. This is a relatively brief but stunning piece which makes me regret that he mostly wrote small-scale works.

https://youtu.be/S-DRoD4Jh2A

It's featured on this Chandos disc:

[asin]B000007MY2[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Andy D.

Was delightedly kicked in the buttocks last weekend, as Shostakovich's 4th (Barshai) made a huge impression.

I'm so happy I didn't read too much about Mitya's symphonies and what they were "about" before I listened to them. I actually read all the (heavy and unfair) criticisms of the Leningrad after the fact, and was so glad I waited. I think it's a total masterpiece, and reading all the critic's opinions beforehand might have influenced me.

Anyway, in the past month Shostakovich really stole me away; completely sycophantic toward his 4, 8th, 10th, 11th, 13th and 15th. Am expecting to convert to one of the other soon :)

This is turning out to be an incredible journey with Shostakovich.

Karl Henning

This:

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2019, 04:33:50 PM
Britten
Cello Symphony, Op. 68
Truls Mørk
CBSO
Rattle

Like hearing it for the first time!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot