Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanb

Quote from: SeptimalTritone on September 19, 2016, 08:35:56 PM
These have blown me away recently. The second of these I have heard before, but revisiting it made a much greater impression on me.

Sachiko M / Toshimaru Nakamura / Otomo Yoshihide - Good Morning, Good Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHs0LkixGvY&list=PL6kbKbt4ZO4ZiobvZAacH7T-Jtsb4jugX

Have you heard the Keith Rowe / Sachiko M / Toshimaru Nakamura / Otomo Yoshihide 4 hour improvisation set in "ErstLive 005"? Guaranteed to blow you away.

knight66

Quote from: Visions_fugitives on September 21, 2016, 02:08:15 PM
Gyorgy Kurtag | Stele op.33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXDyfW-l0Go

I very much like this piece, and I really ought to explore the composer more widely. I heard it live then dived off to get hold of a recording.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

GioCar

Quote from: Visions_fugitives on September 21, 2016, 02:08:15 PM
Gyorgy Kurtag | Stele op.33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXDyfW-l0Go

Quote from: knight66 on September 21, 2016, 10:16:45 PM
I very much like this piece, and I really ought to explore the composer more widely. I heard it live then dived off to get hold of a recording.

Mike

Yes, I like it as well  :) I have it paired with Stockhausen's Gruppen  and another piece by Kurtag (Grabstein für Stephan) on that recording with Claudio Abbado and the Berliner.
Long live Maestro Kurtag! (you also have to finish your Opera Fin de partie  ;))

nathanb

I finally had the chance to hear Francisco Lopez's Antarctica Variations. Yep.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Leo Brouwer: Canticum from his more experimental middle period, this was composed in 1968. Also recently blown away by Domeniconi's 'Koyunbaba' which I have decided to prepare for a recital some time next year along with Villa-Lobos preludes, some Brouwer pieces (including Canticum) and a great suite of character pieces (with some very cool extended techniques) by Australian composer Phillip Houghton called 'Scacchi.' 'Koyunbaba' is a piece I've known for a while but playing it for the first time is a totally different experience; feeling the notes under my fingers is hugely satisfying!

arpeggio

I had recently purchased the following CD set:

There were two works in the set that I was unfamiliar with:

Morton Gould: Spirituals for Orchestra.

This was typical Gould.  I still liked it but there have been other works of his that had a greater impact on me.  I. e. Jericho, Rhapsody for Band.

Charles Ives: Orchestral Set No. 2.

Now this work knocked my socks off.

arpeggio

Based on a recommendation that I received here I had acquired the following CD:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006TK7U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am a big fan of Bax and I was unfamiliar with this music.  I was not disappointed  :)

Patrick Murtha

After finishing listening to this year's Proms (about 75% of them), I've been digging around at the BBC website and found a couple of really good recent broadcasts with pieces I had not heard. Pietro Mascagni's opera Iris, conducted by Domingo Hindoyan at the Montpellier Festival, is most impressive, especially for its choral writing and imaginative orchestration. Florent Schmitt's large-scale setting of Psalm 47 is very much designed to "blow you away"; the performance I heard was led by Thierry Fischer.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on September 30, 2016, 07:30:07 PM
I had recently purchased the following CD set:

There were two works in the set that I was unfamiliar with:

Morton Gould: Spirituals for Orchestra.

This was typical Gould.  I still liked it but there have been other works of his that had a greater impact on me.  I. e. Jericho, Rhapsody for Band.

Charles Ives: Orchestral Set No. 2.

Now this work knocked my socks off.

Charles Ives has composed a tonne of amazing orchestral music which I barely know myself! The Robert Browning overture was a recent discovery for me. I only found out about it after reading some old programme notes from Boulez's tenure at NYPO. I've only heard it once but I really have to hear it again now that I think of it! It's a shame that Boulez never recorded it as far as I know; he would have made it more well known that what it is right now.

Mirror Image

Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra never cease but to blow me away.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on October 06, 2016, 06:39:19 PM
Penderecki's big early textural orchestral works are giving me a thrill ride at the moment!  ;D
Could you recommend any pieces and recordings to check out?

Florestan

Some string quintets by George Onslow and Luigi Cherubini.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jaakko Keskinen

Faust Symphony by Liszt. This is a relatively new work to me, heard it for the first time only a couple of months ago. The Mephistopheles movement amazes me with it's cleverness and sheer creative power.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

North Star

Quote from: Alberich on October 08, 2016, 11:34:35 AM
Faust Symphony by Liszt. This is a relatively new work to me, heard it for the first time only a couple of months ago. The Mephistopheles movement amazes me with it's cleverness and sheer creative power.
A great slice of Romanticism, that.

What has blown me away recently? I don't know.. I pretty much expected to enjoy all the Haydn symphonies as much as I have done (i.e., enormously). Those Dufay isorhythmic motets on the Huelgas Ensemble disc O Gemma Lux, certainly. Bach's harpsichord partitas, going further back in time. Oh, and the sheer enjoyability of all those Purcell songs in the Hyperion complete songs box.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

alkan

Maslanka, Symphony No 8.

Completely unexpected and totally mindblowing.

Have a listen to this clip from Youtube.    Wind forward to 11 min for the final apotheosis

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQk_Y1vIVE

Alternatively there is this recording, with video, but not so well played

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyYj50uVF5Y

Enjoy !!!
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2016, 04:18:29 PM
Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra never cease but to blow me away.

And how do you like that Lenny recording, dude?

I have been obsessed by Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata lately, because I am writing a new play about a male Orthodox Jewish college student pianist madly in love with the Catholic girl student violinist he has been assigned to play the piece with.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

arpeggio

Quote from: alkan on October 08, 2016, 02:18:19 PM
Maslanka, Symphony No 8.

Have a listen to this clip from Youtube.    Wind forward to 11 min for the final apotheosis

Enjoy !!!

Note: Big Maslanka Fan  :)

If you think that is amazing check out this YouTube of the US Navy Band performing his Fourth Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xcMoQ6ML4

Ken B

Quote from: alkan on October 08, 2016, 02:18:19 PM
Maslanka, Symphony No 8.

Enjoy !!!

I more or less insisted my gf to give that to her father for Christmas a year ago ( he's a keen amateur trombonist and long time wind band member). He loved it.

arpeggio

I had recently listened to the following set:

There were many new pieces that I was unfamiliar with.  The Journey to the Amazon CD had many fascinating works.

The one new work for me that knocked my socks off was the Ponce Concierto del sur.