Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 01, 2017, 09:51:44 PM
Only heard him mentioned before but I was compelled yesterday and I'm amazed  :o

One of my favorite works from Lindberg is Graffiti, which is a work written for chorus and orchestra. I also like the Violin Concerto a lot.

king ubu

I have one for this thread now: Beethoven op.131, as performed by the Takács Quartet in concert a couple of days ago. Outstanding performance of a mesmerising puece of music!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: king ubu on February 01, 2017, 11:43:41 PM
I have one for this thread now: Beethoven op.131, as performed by the Takács Quartet in concert a couple of days ago. Outstanding performance of a mesmerising puece of music!

Aaa I remember first hearing this piece! It is certainly an amazing piece of music, and what a thrill it must have been to discover it in concert as performed by the Takács Quartet! I wish I were in your shoes!

Well, actually, I am listening to a string quartet for the first time as well: Ben Johnston's 7th. It is a really fun sounding quartet, not exactly 'blow me away' type music, but I'll be exploring Ben Johnston's string quartets for some period of time and there is definitely a chance I will be blown away by something I hadn't heard before. :)

ahinton

Quote from: jessop on February 02, 2017, 02:10:07 AM
Aaa I remember first hearing this piece! It is certainly an amazing piece of music, and what a thrill it must have been to discover it in concert as performed by the Takács Quartet! I wish I were in your shoes!
I heard an even finer performance of it - in fact the finest that I have ever heard, it has to be said - by the French ensemble Quatuor Diotima, as astonishing ensemble whose repertoire ranges from Haydn and Schubert to Ferneyhough; this was a live account of it but sadly it was not at all recently (I think that it must have been 9 or 10 years ago). They have a recent 5-CD set of the complete quartet works of Schönberg, Webern and Berg out and I've so far listened to almost half of it in performances that I can honestly describe as nothing less than peerless; their way with the "big one" - the D minor Schönberg Quartet - is far and away the best and most compelling that I've heard and is real "blow away" material.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: ahinton on February 02, 2017, 02:35:15 AM
I heard an even finer performance of it - in fact the finest that I have ever heard, it has to be said - by the French ensemble Quatuor Diotima, as astonishing ensemble whose repertoire ranges from Haydn and Schubert to Ferneyhough; this was a live account of it but sadly it was not at all recently (I think that it must have been 9 or 10 years ago). They have a recent 5-CD set of the complete quartet works of Schönberg, Webern and Berg out and I've so far listened to almost half of it in performances that I can honestly describe as nothing less than peerless; their way with the "big one" - the D minor Schönberg Quartet - is far and away the best and most compelling that I've heard and is real "blow away" material.

Thanks for letting me know! I'm a big fan of SQ repertoire and I will check that recording out. :)

Mirror Image

I'll go ahead and mention RVW's 5 Mystical Songs as a work that has really knocked me out recently.

Mahlerian

Quote from: jessop on February 02, 2017, 02:37:37 AM
Thanks for letting me know! I'm a big fan of SQ repertoire and I will check that recording out. :)

I will vouch for the set as well.  The Quatuor Diotima do a marvelous job of playing with both clarity and expressive power.  It's a tricky balance, and the music of the Second Viennese School always needs both, but they succeed.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

king ubu

Quote from: ahinton on February 02, 2017, 02:35:15 AM

Not sure ... but if you are referring to Beethoven's op. 131, you then must have been at the Takács concert, too. Why didn't you say hi? Weird post and statement there.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

aleazk

Quote from: jessop on February 01, 2017, 03:45:42 PM
Ok I am going to listen to this properly once I come home from university this afternoon  $:)

...so?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

aleazk

arpeggio

Last week I attended a concert of the US Marine Chamber Orchestra (All of the service bands in Washington stage free concerts).

One of the works of the program that blew me away was Ned Rorem's Water Music.  I was unfamiliar with the work.  It was essentially a concerto for clarinet, violin, strings and percussion.  It was the most adventurous work that I have ever heard by Rorem.  I got to find a recording of it  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: arpeggio on February 06, 2017, 10:10:46 AM
Last week I attended a concert of the US Marine Chamber Orchestra (All of the service bands in Washington stage free concerts).

One of the works of the program that blew me away was Ned Rorem's Water Music.  I was unfamiliar with the work.  It was essentially a concerto for clarinet, violin, strings and percussion.  It was the most adventurous work that I have ever heard by Rorem.  I got to find a recording of it  :)

Très cool!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on February 06, 2017, 10:10:46 AM

Very cool! I know of another concerto which has pretty much the exact same scoring coincidentally. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lo3mZcY1gRY

SymphonicAddict

Three pieces that have blown me recently, specifically three awesome cello concertos:

Miaskovsky: Passionately melancholic
Moeran: It's warm, somewhat heroic
Lutoslawski: The rarer and the one that left me the strangest feeling

arpeggio

Quote from: jessop on February 06, 2017, 01:15:31 PM
Very cool! I know of another concerto which has pretty much the exact same scoring coincidentally. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/lo3mZcY1gRY

Very nice  :)  I found a recording of it and put it on my wish list

bogdan101

I heard Monteverdi's Combattimento before, but listening to it in concert conducted by Savall and sung, among others, by Furio Zanasi was an experience I'll never forget. This was in Montreal last week.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Recent concert...I was blown away by Malcolm Arnold's Sonatina for clarinet and piano. What a cool piece!!!! I think that until now I have very unfairly regarded Arnold as 'kinda like Britten but not as good'.............. ::)

torut

Quote from: arpeggio on December 30, 2016, 09:13:29 PM

Santa Claus just got me this.  Wow!!!!

I am now listening to the Blue/s Forms for Solo Violin.  Awesome.   :)

Link to the Cedille Websitehttp://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/coleridge-taylor-perkinson-a-celebration

This is wonderful. Vital, solid, and melodic. I particularly liked the solo and chamber works. The string trio is a lamenting, beautiful piece. Thanks for the post.