Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on September 24, 2017, 08:25:46 AM
We welcome all to the World of the great Karl Amadeus Hartmann!   :D    If you do not know all the symphonies yet, get ready to have your soul battered and fried!   0:)

I know, and love, all of the numbered symphonies, Cato! Also, Sinfonia Tragica, Symphonische Hymnen, Concerto funebre, Kammerkonzert, and Gesangsszene are favorites as well. 8) Hartmann has been a favorite of mine for several years now.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 24, 2017, 07:41:14 AM
No, but it always blows me away. That epilogue is just glorious marshalling of a huge orchestral juggernaut! Brilliantly bombastic and over-the-top!

Oddly, Symphonia domestica is my least favorite Strauss tone poem. Pretty much the only one which hasn't blown me away, apart from a couple of measures here and there.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Hmm I thought I had heard everything by Steen-Andersen that is available on YouTube but I came across this wonderful little piece yesterday. Mesmerising indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/v/qQ7e4-4Tidc

vandermolen

I have been very impressed by Selim Palmgren's Piano Concerto No.2 'The River', which I have posted about separately.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

Florestan

John Ireland, various solo piano and chamber music works.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on September 26, 2017, 12:31:50 PM
Have you heard the Piano Concerto, Andrei?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on September 26, 2017, 12:33:07 PM
Have you heard the Piano Concerto, Andrei?

I'll be listening to it and the Legend in about 10 minutes time.  :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Parsifal

Quote from: Florestan on September 26, 2017, 12:31:50 PM

Yes, utterly beautiful stuff. I was directed to it years ago by our now mostly absent member Luke.

Mirror Image

The more I hear William Schuman's Violin Concerto, the more I start feeling like it really is a masterpiece.

kyjo

Malcolm Arnold's Symphony no. 9, in particular its unbearably poignant closing Lento, which is a clear homage to the finale of Mahler's 9th in its valedictory mood. After over 20 minutes of bleakness the movement finally comes to rest on a simple D major chord - very moving. Notice my avatar change :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 30, 2017, 10:45:09 PMMalcolm Arnold's Symphony no. 9, in particular its unbearably poignant closing Lento, which is a clear homage to the finale of Mahler's 9th in its valedictory mood. After over 20 minutes of bleakness the movement finally comes to rest on a simple D major chord - very moving. Notice my avatar change :)

Looks like you liked Arnold's 9th, Kyle. ;) I think that Lento movement could be considered an homage to Mahler's 9th, but I also feel that the composer expressed something that went deeper beyond it being a mere homage. This movement has a lifetime of pain and suffering inside of it and as I mentioned before it was as Arnold was throwing in the towel and bidding farewell to the world as he once knew it. In a sense, I'm reminded of Schnittke's Symphony No. 8 as well given that the centerpiece of this symphony was also a Lento that drips with eeriness, has an emotional calm about it, and, like the Arnold's 9th, is the longest movement of the symphony.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 01, 2017, 05:39:12 AM
Looks like you liked Arnold's 9th, Kyle. ;) I think that Lento movement could be considered an homage to Mahler's 9th, but I also feel that the composer expressed something that went deeper beyond it being a mere homage. This movement has a lifetime of pain and suffering inside of it and as I mentioned before it was as Arnold was throwing in the towel and bidding farewell to the world as he once knew it. In a sense, I'm reminded of Schnittke's Symphony No. 8 as well given that the centerpiece of this symphony was also a Lento that drips with eeriness, has an emotional calm about it, and, like the Arnold's 9th, is the longest movement of the symphony.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the finale of Arnold's 9th is nothing more than a mere homage to Mahler's 9th. It's incredibly deep and personal music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2017, 06:27:19 PM
The more I hear William Schuman's Violin Concerto, the more I start feeling like it really is a masterpiece.

That may well be, but I reserve His Masterpiece, i.e. singular from his entire oeuvre, for this concertante work:
Song of Orpheus. (fantasy for 'Cello and orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Mirror Image

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 01, 2017, 07:01:53 PM
That may well be, but I reserve His Masterpiece, i.e. singular from his entire oeuvre, for this concertante work:
Song of Orpheus. (fantasy for 'Cello and orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/v/E3FdppWLMJQ

Best regards.

I really should revisit that Schuman work. It's been ages since I've heard it.

Jaakko Keskinen

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Maestro267

Arnold 9 does take a bit of getting used to, with its sparsity and all. It's a truly remarkable statement from a man who was at the end of his life, despite living for another 20 years after its composition.

kyjo

Quote from: Alberich on October 02, 2017, 05:21:10 AM
Zemlinsky's "Die Seejungfrau".

A wonderful piece to be sure. It should be played as often as Strauss' tone poems IMO, as it contains some of the most gorgeous orchestration I've ever heard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 02, 2017, 05:53:29 AM
Arnold 9 does take a bit of getting used to, with its sparsity and all. It's a truly remarkable statement from a man who was at the end of his life, despite living for another 20 years after its composition.

Yes, but those last 20 years were plagued by failing mental health, so he really wasn't 'present' in his later years.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: kyjo on October 02, 2017, 06:25:25 AM
A wonderful piece to be sure. It should be played as often as Strauss' tone poems IMO, as it contains some of the most gorgeous orchestration I've ever heard.

Agreed. The orchestration was amazing.

- Victor Hugo