Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

At the Reading of a Psalm: S. Taneyev

[asin]B0002XMEO0[/asin]

Exquisite performance of an exquisite work!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Last night Bruckner's 6th blew me away --- such an underrated symphony IMHO.

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2017, 07:41:47 AM

Is this a work that you are familiar with that blew you away for the first time?

Mirror Image

Quote from: arpeggio on October 04, 2017, 08:04:38 AM
Is this a work that you are familiar with that blew you away for the first time?

I'm very familiar with this symphony, but I'm simply blown away each time I hear it. :)

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2017, 07:41:47 AM

The little funeral march in the slow movement, and the way it is transformed into an angelic bliss at the end...!  0:) 

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on October 04, 2017, 08:22:54 AM
The little funeral march in the slow movement, and the way it is transformed into an angelic bliss at the end...!  0:)

Indeed!

Just that Scherzo is enough to drop my jaw with all those rhythmic motifs striking away amongst other things happening at the same time.

arpeggio

I can come up with a list of a hundred works that blow me away every time I hear them.  Please check the OP.

Parsifal

Quote from: Florestan on September 09, 2016, 09:54:04 PM
Just yesterday, Friedrich Gulda's Concerto for Cello and Wind Orchestra knocked my socks off.

I was driving my car while listening and my three-and-a-half year old son danced all through the first movement on the rear seat.  :D.

:o

Not in a car seat? In the U.S. you could literally be put in prison for that. Forty years ago it would have been fine.

yekov

Mirror Image

Quote from: yekov on October 05, 2017, 10:35:28 PM
Grieg's String Quartet No. 1

A fine work indeed. I tend to favor Grieg's chamber music over his other music. The solo piano works are also worth checking out.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2017, 06:16:51 AM
A fine work indeed. I tend to favorite Grieg's chamber music over his other music. The solo piano works are also worth checking out.

+1 Although I also love his Piano Concerto and Holberg Suite. In my estimate, his String Quartet (no. 1) and Cello Sonata are among the finest chamber works of the 19th century. It's been a while since I've listened to his violin sonatas but I remember them being very fine as well.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 06, 2017, 07:00:01 AM
+1 Although I also love his Piano Concerto and Holberg Suite. In my estimate, his String Quartet (no. 1) and Cello Sonata are among the finest chamber works of the 19th century. It's been a while since I've listened to his violin sonatas but I remember them being very fine as well.

Overfamiliarity with the Piano Concerto has kind of soured me on that work, although it's certainly not a bad piece --- far from it. Holberg Suite is an awesome work. Yes, I agree with about the Cello Sonata. I haven't heard the violin sonatas in quite some time, but I remember the third standing out the most.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2017, 08:06:16 AM
I'm very familiar with this symphony, but I'm simply blown away each time I hear it. :)

I thought this was a thread about pieces we are hearing for the first time...........

Quote from: arpeggio on September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM
This is a thread where a person can post their experiences with a new work they have never heard before or a new composer

arpeggio

Quote from: jessop on October 06, 2017, 10:14:18 PM
I thought this was a thread about pieces we are hearing for the first time...........

Thanks.  That is the point I have been trying to make as well.  Sadly I am a lousy diplomat.  I hope no one is offended by the what I tried to accomplish by starting this thread.

GioCar

My familiarity with Obrecht's masses was null till I've listened to his Missa sicut rosa spinam last week, from this album

and I've been completely blown away by it.

Now I have to fill a large gap in my listening experience. Next step will be Missa Maria zart.

Que

Quote from: GioCar on October 07, 2017, 11:50:22 PM
My familiarity with Obrecht's masses was null till I've listened to his Missa sicut rosa spinam last week, from this album

and I've been completely blown away by it.

Now I have to fill a large gap in my listening experience. Next step will be Missa Maria zart.

Nice!  :)

Q

SymphonicAddict

Boris Tchaikovsky - Sebastopol Symphony and The Wind of Siberia

Excellent music! Those pieces are magnificent, great, which deserve more spread.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 10, 2017, 04:19:25 PM
Boris Tchaikovsky - Sebastopol Symphony and The Wind of Siberia

Excellent music! Those pieces are magnificent, great, which deserve more spread.

Absolutely! I've been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There's something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2017, 07:08:52 PM
Absolutely! I've been singing praises for this Boris Tchaikovsky recording on GMG for years. Sebastopol Symphony is too personal for me to play too often. There's something about it that I just find so haunting and it, for whatever reason, brings a flood of memories back to me. I almost love the other two works, Music for Orchestra and The Wind of Siberia, just as much.

Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 11, 2017, 03:27:32 PM
Nice to know you are a big fan of B. Tchaikovsky. I fell in love with those works, especially Sebastopol. It's really engaging. I'm not sure whether Boris intended to create a descriptive symphony, anyway I could perceive ship horns, those busy activities of docks, etc. I found quite fascinating all of that work represents.

Indeed. 8) I must revisit this recording soon.