Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 29, 2017, 06:39:35 AM
I found a performance on Youtube, a visual one too rather than just audio, of Rued Langgaard's Symphony No. 1. Holy cow, that's an incredible work!

It's also written by quite a young man as Langgaard was 16 at the time he finished it. A little bit of surprising trivia: this work was premiered by the Berlin Philharmonic. Quite a feat for such a young man.

Mirror Image

Debussy's Jeux has really blown me away. In my earlier listening days, this was a work that puzzled me. Nowadays, I can appreciate it much more and I wished it received the kind of popularity Stravinsky's Le sacre received (both works were premiered in May of 1913). Stravinsky went for the jugular with Le sacre while Debussy went for more of a cerebral, hallucinatory approach with Jeux.

Maestro267

Another discovery that I really enjoyed today: Multiversum by Peter Eötvös, for the very interesting combination of grand organ, Hammond organ and orchestra.

Christabel

I absolutely ADORE this staggering work and never tire of it:  made all the more enjoyable by following along with the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9tbCkACbGU

arpeggio

Quote from: Christabel on January 07, 2018, 04:05:49 PM
I absolutely ADORE this staggering work and never tire of it:  made all the more enjoyable by following along with the score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9tbCkACbGU

Is this a new work for you?

Christabel

Quote from: arpeggio on January 08, 2018, 02:30:54 AM
Is this a new work for you?

No;  I've been familiar with it for a few years and never stop wanting to hear it!!  I believe it's one of the great works by Brahms and he was still young at the time of its composition.

Jaakko Keskinen

IIRC, Brahms played that piece to Wagner and he liked it. This was when Brahms was in his thirties so the rivalry between them hadn't started yet (Brahms probably never even saw Wagner as a rival in the first place).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

arpeggio

Quote from: Christabel on January 08, 2018, 09:49:24 AM
No;  I've been familiar with it for a few years and never stop wanting to hear it!!  I believe it's one of the great works by Brahms and he was still young at the time of its composition.

Please check he OP.

Baron Scarpia

From Messiaen, Apparition de L'Eglise Eternelle, performed by Marie-Clair Alain

[asin]B00000E8TE[/asin]

Wow, astonishing. Such harmonies, such dissonances, such sonority. You think it can't get any more intense, and then it does. :)

Omicron9

Greetings.

Of late, I've been listening to/being blown away by this:

[asin]B000I2IUWA[/asin]

If you like 20th-century quartets like Bartok, Shostakovich... you'll be all over this.

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

kyjo

Quote from: Omicron9 on January 11, 2018, 09:07:59 AM
Greetings.

Of late, I've been listening to/being blown away by this:

[asin]B000I2IUWA[/asin]

If you like 20th-century quartets like Bartok, Shostakovich... you'll be all over this.

Regards,

Duly noted! I've been meaning to explore more of Rawsthorne's music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

>:( I hate you guys.  Just added stuff to my wish list

Omicron9

Quote from: kyjo on January 11, 2018, 10:33:57 AM
Duly noted! I've been meaning to explore more of Rawsthorne's music.

Excellent.  Please report back after listening and let us know what you think.

Regards.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

arpeggio

Wilhelm Stenhammer.

I have just heard his Symphony No. 2 for the first time.  It was on a CD that I received with the BBC Music Magazine.  I was very impressed.

Any suggestions from Stenhammer fans?

pjme

Schoenberg's Die Jacobsleiter!! ( as finished by Wilfried Zillig)

Very, very deeply impressed & moved by these ca 40 minutes. I was amazed at reading that Schoenberg thought of a huge symphony with "Jacobsleiter" as the final movement.
P.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 20, 2018, 04:48:41 AM
Schoenberg's Die Jacobsleiter!! ( as finished by Wilfried Zillig)

Very, very deeply impressed & moved by these ca 40 minutes. I was amazed at reading that Schoenberg thought of a huge symphony with "Jacobsleiter" as the final movement.
P.

Yes! A very cool work by Schoenberg. I don't know that Gielen performance. The only performance I know is Boulez's on Columbia (Sony). I can't remember if Craft recorded this work or not. If he did, I should definitely check out his performance.

pjme

Afaiik, Craft did not record Jakobsleiter (will check).

This I find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/v/BpMjjzKznDo

It is available on cd

Cato

Quote from: pjme on January 20, 2018, 05:17:57 AM
Afaiik, Craft did not record Jakobsleiter (will check).

This I find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/v/BpMjjzKznDo

It is available on cd

WOW!  It was broadcast on television!  I wonder how many people watched!

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2018, 04:53:18 AM
Yes! A very cool work by Schoenberg. I don't know that Gielen performance. The only performance I know is Boulez's on Columbia (Sony). I

Many years ago Die Jakobsleiter became one of my favorite works: one hears Schoenberg's earlier works in it (e.g. compare the Klaus-Narr section of Gurrelieder with the section sung by Der Aufrueherischer ), as well as the future (Moses und Aron).  Its "incomplete" nature is not noticeable to my mind: like Moses und Aron, it ends on a single note, and seems just perfect!

Thanks to a certain GMG member,* I have a recording of Bruno Maderna's performance with a Dutch orchestra and the incredible Guenter Reich as Gabriel from the 1970's: I had it on tape, courtesy of the Schoenberg family, but it was somehow lost.  That is also an excellent, atmospheric, even eerie performance.

* Many thanks to him!  I will not mention his name, lest he possibly be inundated with requests!  ;) 
However, send me a message, and I will see about forwarding the file to you!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

arpeggio

Wow!!!

Based on the recommendation of another member I purchased the following:

[asin]B072K3PLCX[/asin]

This is some of the most amazing Carter I have ever heard. 

Even as a centenarian he was composing great music.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: arpeggio on January 30, 2018, 04:01:48 PM
Wow!!!

Based on the recommendation of another member I purchased the following:

[asin]B072K3PLCX[/asin]

This is some of the most amazing Carter I have ever heard. 

Even as a centenarian he was composing great music.

Yes! These are some of my favourite works of his. And this recording is spectacular as well. 8)

As for me, I have recently listened to The Dream of Gerontius for the very first time and I have been blown away!