Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: arpeggio on January 30, 2018, 04:01:48 PM
Wow!!!

Based on the recommendation of another member I purchased the following:

[asin]B072K3PLCX[/asin]

This is some of the most amazing Carter I have ever heard. 

Even as a centenarian he was composing great music.

Though I haven't yet heard this recording (and from the comments should do it soon), I have heard all of the pieces, either on other recordings or live. There's probably a case to be made that Carter's late works are his very best. Though that said, I wouldn't want to be without the Variations for Orchestra, Double Concerto, or chamber works like Esprit rude/Esprit doux, the early string quartets, etc.

--Bruce

bhodges

Last night, heard violinist Benjamin Baker and pianist Daniel Lebhardt in Britten's Suite, Op. 6, and Elgar's Sonata for Violin and Piano, Op. 82. Had never encountered either, live or recorded, and they're both marvelous -- especially the Britten, which he wrote when he was 22.

--Bruce

arpeggio

I have Verizon as my cable and internet.

One of the networks they carry is Music Choice.  I have learned that this network is available with other providers.

I have been listening to the classical station and it is really good.  They provide a good mix of the familiar and unfamiliar.  I have been introduce to many composers and works that I am unfamiliar with.  I just listen to Pierne's Ratmunicho Suite #2.  What a fascinating work.  If you have access to this station I would check it out.

Judith

Was by 2nd movement of Tchaikovsky Symphony no 1. So sublime. Only discovered it recently. Loved the rest of this symphony too :)

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Judith on February 01, 2018, 10:48:19 PM
Was by 2nd movement of Tchaikovsky Symphony no 1. So sublime. Only discovered it recently. Loved the rest of this symphony too :)

I am a huge fan of that 2nd movement too (and of that symphony in general). The orchestration and melodic invention of that symphony is mind-blowing.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Roasted Swan

Quote from: arpeggio on January 19, 2018, 03:13:46 PM
Wilhelm Stenhammer.

I have just heard his Symphony No. 2 for the first time.  It was on a CD that I received with the BBC Music Magazine.  I was very impressed.

Any suggestions from Stenhammer fans?

Symphony No.1 is very impressive but very different.  It opens with a rather wonderful Brucknerian chorale for 6 horns.  As it happens I listened to jarvi's 1st recording of this on BIS just the other day - very fine

Jaakko Keskinen

Belshazzar's feast by William Walton. This is the first composition of his that I've heard and loving every second of it.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ken B

Quote from: Alberich on February 08, 2018, 08:03:53 AM
Belshazzar's feast by William Walton. This is the first composition of his that I've heard and loving every second of it.

It's a treat. "May my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth."

Walton wrote a relatively small amount of stuff, but some of it is top drawer. The next things to listen to are the three concerti, and the first symphony. But don't overlook the chamber music. And you might like the Henry V Concert suite. I like the Chandos recording with Christopher Plummer.

kyjo

Quote from: Alberich on February 08, 2018, 08:03:53 AM

Don't delay in checking out both his symphonies and his concerti! Great stuff.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

I am right now listening to a new composer on the Verizon Classical Cable Channel: James Cohn.  I am listening to his Piano Concerto.

He was born in 1928 and graduated from Julliard in 1950.  The Concerto was composed in 2000.

This is a tonal work and very neo-classical.  The last movement is very latin.

Maestro267

Quote from: Alberich on February 01, 2018, 11:36:10 PM
I am a huge fan of that 2nd movement too (and of that symphony in general). The orchestration and melodic invention of that symphony is mind-blowing.

I love Tchaikovsky 1! First time really listening to it was a memorable experience, on holiday, at c. 4am, unable to sleep and in a darkened room. That 2nd movement and the slow sections of the finale particularly made an impact in that atmosphere.

Mirror Image

I have to say that Debussy's mélodies have completely blown me away....that's all I've got to say (for now). 8)

Traverso

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 11, 2018, 07:52:52 AM
From Messiaen, Apparition de L'Eglise Eternelle, performed by Marie-Clair Alain

[asin]B00000E8TE[/asin]

Wow, astonishing. Such harmonies, such dissonances, such sonority. You think it can't get any more intense, and then it does. :)

Exactly my feelings earlier this week when I listened to a recording by Willem Tanke.

Manwithaplan

After going four months without any classical music (apart from a one-off of Scriabin) I listen to Keqrops by Xenakis two days ago and had the most profound kind of feeling. That piano concerto erupts, distills, weaves in and out in the most awesome way. It is for sure in my top three piano concertos, period  :)

I haven't listened to any classical music since (despite rejoining here today)

Maestro267

Hans Rott's Symphony in E major. I can't remember the last time I heard a symphony of that era sound so full and rich and glorious!

And what a terrible man Brahms was for rejecting this work so severely! At least this has actual emotion rather than just plain old academia music.

NikF

Debussy - Bilitis for Flute and Piano.
One of the pieces I heard yesterday at a recital. Maybe it was the combo of it being new to me coupled with the relative intimacy of the performance, but it was colourful to the point of being exotic, and also deeply moving.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on March 19, 2018, 09:49:45 AM
Debussy - Bilitis for Flute and Piano.
One of the pieces I heard yesterday at a recital. Maybe it was the combo of it being new to me coupled with the relative intimacy of the performance, but it was colourful to the point of being exotic, and also deeply moving.

Certainly you mean Chansons de Bilitis? This is probably a transcription done for flute and piano by one of the musicians or perhaps someone other musician. There's also Musique de scène pour les Chansons de Bilitis which is a fascinating work written for reciter, two flutes, two harps, and celesta, which can be found on a DG (Ensemble Wien-Berlin) and Virgin Classics (Nash Ensemble). The music is gorgeous regardless and I'm glad you were moved by the experience.

Baron Scarpia

From the publisher:

https://www.thedukesmusic.co.uk/debussy-bilitis-for-flute-and-piano.html

Seems like a version of Six épigraphes antiques (which Debussy adapted from the Musique de scène pour les Chansons de Bilitis) for flute and piano.

The cover page does not specify a transcriber, so it may have been Debussy himself.

[corrected based on ritter's post]

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2018, 10:42:48 AM
Certainly you mean Chansons de Bilitis? This is probably a transcription done for flute and piano by one of the musicians or perhaps someone other musician. There's also Musique de scène pour les Chansons de Bilitis which is a fascinating work written for reciter, two flutes, two harps, and celesta, which can be found on a DG (Ensemble Wien-Berlin) and Virgin Classics (Nash Ensemble). The music is gorgeous regardless and I'm glad you were moved by the experience.

Yeah, that's it. And I'm sure they used the same transcription as this -

http://www.youtube.com/v/B247SYZIOcA
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 19, 2018, 11:00:58 AM
From the publisher:

https://www.thedukesmusic.co.uk/debussy-bilitis-for-flute-and-piano.html

Seems like a version of Six épigraphes antiques (which Debussy adapted from the Chansons de Bilitis) for flute and piano.

The cover page does not specify a transcriber, so it may have been Debussy himself.

Ah, that probably clears it up. Cheers

e: here's how it was listed -