Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: arpeggio on March 24, 2018, 11:41:45 AM
The BBC Music CD's have done it again.

I have just been introduced to the music of Reynaldo Hahn.  I have checked into his impressive catalogue.  I need to check out more of his works.  :)
The songs on Hyperion. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Zeus

Maybe it's the thrill of new discovery, but I really like Trittico botticelliano, off of this album:

[asin] B0776K6NKF[/asin]

Best Respighi work ever?  Tonight it is.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

ritter

Quote from: arpeggio on March 24, 2018, 11:41:45 AM
The BBC Music CD's have done it again.

I have just been introduced to the music of Reynaldo Hahn.  I have checked into his impressive catalogue.  I need to check out more of his works.  :)
You've got some suggestions here, arpeggio.

Regards,

Mirror Image

Even though I've heard Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande a few times, it seems that now I'm responding to it on a more personal level and I'M COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY!!! Wow....

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2018, 09:10:45 AM
Even though I've heard Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande a few times, it seems that now I'm responding to it on a more personal level and I'M COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY!!! Wow....

I'm blown away every time I hear it, John. I adore its ethereal, dream-like atmosphere.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Traverso

Quote from: Alberich on March 26, 2018, 09:42:19 AM
I'm blown away every time I hear it, John. I adore its ethereal, dream-like atmosphere.

Your avatar underlines that perfectly. :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on March 26, 2018, 09:42:19 AM

Yes, indeed.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2018, 09:10:45 AM

It must be very good because of your reaction. Another opera that goes to my list.

Jaakko Keskinen

Speaking of opera, I recently listened tp Rimsky-Korsakov's Sadko, and I must say that it did, indeed, blow me away. So underrated opera and opera composer.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 26, 2018, 01:52:36 PM
It must be very good because of your reaction. Another opera that goes to my list.

Yes and please get the Abbado recording (if you can). I think this would be a better introduction than the Boulez (even as much as I like Pierre's performance of it).

[asin]B000001GFU[/asin]

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 26, 2018, 06:16:50 PM
Yes and please get the Abbado recording (if you can). I think this would be a better introduction than the Boulez (even as much as I like Pierre's performance of it).

[asin]B000001GFU[/asin]

Sure, thanks!

vandermolen

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 26, 2018, 05:00:43 AM
Once again blewn away by Ifukube - Eglogue
https://youtu.be/Db9GlA2s0gw?t=120

What a fantastic work! Catchy, poetic and memorable. I'm very pleased to have discovered it and thanks for posting it here.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
What a fantastic work! Catchy, poetic and memorable. I'm very pleased to have discovered it and thanks for posting it here.
Glad to hear that. Yes, catchy indeed! I thought the piece could deserve even some more power as in Shostakovich or Shostas creepiness (thinking of the ending of Shosta4, or after the battle scene in Sym. #11)...

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 27, 2018, 09:14:45 AM
Sure, thanks!

No problem. I hope you love this performance as much as I do, although I'm not really sure whether this particular set is still in print. Will have to check this out...

Edit:

Amazon FR has it:

https://www.amazon.fr/Debussy-Pelléas-Mélisande-Claude/dp/B000001GFU/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1522251281&sr=1-2&keywords=Debussy+Abbado&dpID=51UUDiTlIPL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm not sure of your location, but I'm certain that other European Amazon sites have it in-stock as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on March 28, 2018, 07:30:07 AM
Glad to hear that. Yes, catchy indeed! I thought the piece could deserve even some more power as in Shostakovich or Shostas creepiness (thinking of the ending of Shosta4, or after the battle scene in Sym. #11)...
It really held my attention throughout.
It's not on CD as far as I can see.
>:(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Actually, there is a CD which contains this piece (listening just right now: mindblowing, a representation of Japanese tragedies in a vivid, gloomy and dramatic way, yet poetic, finely expressive too. A rather nice blend between Oriental folklore and Western classical/academic music.)

It is in Amazon.com:

Cato

Quote from: Alberich on March 26, 2018, 03:37:14 PM
Speaking of opera, I recently listened to Rimsky-Korsakov's Sadko, and I must say that it did, indeed, blow me away. So underrated opera and opera composer.

Rimsky RAWKS!  Give The Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevroniya a chance also!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

arpeggio

[asin]B000003WUD[/asin]

While listening to the cable classical music station I heard Howard Cable's Quebec Folk Fantasy.  This was a very nice work and I purchased the CD. Cable is Canadian and a new composer for me.  Along with the Quebec Folk Fantasy the CD had his Snake Fence Country.  These are very nice works composed in a contemporary tonal style.

The CD contained works by the following composers that are new to me.
Stephan Chapman (An American who lives in Canada)
Godfrey Rideout (Another Canadian)
Pierre Mercure (Another Canadian)

The rest of the CD contains recordings of standard concert band works which I have already have recordings of.  It was worth the duplicates in order to get these new works.