Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 28, 2018, 12:25:14 PM
Actually, there is a CD which contains this piece (listening just right now: mindblowing, a representation of Japanese tragedies in a vivid, gloomy and dramatic way, yet poetic, finely expressive too. A rather nice blend between Oriental folklore and Western classical/academic music.)

It is in Amazon.com:

Thank you Caesar!
:)

PS I found it on Amazon UK as well going (a bit) cheaper although it will save me a lot in postage. I was a amused to see the CD of this poetic and gentle work juxtaposed against titles such as 'Destroy All Monsters!' and 'King Kong v Godzilla' etc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2018, 10:59:23 PM
Thank you Caesar!
:)

PS I found it on Amazon UK as well going (a bit) cheaper although it will save me a lot in postage. I was a amused to see the CD of this poetic and gentle work juxtaposed against titles such as 'Destroy All Monsters!' and 'King Kong v Godzilla' etc.

You're welcome. Then it's much better on Amazon.co.uk.

A strong contrast amongst those works indeed. Music for all tastes.

Now I'm more curios about the Ifukube's output. It seems worthy to explore.

arpeggio

A large gap in my musical background is German Lieder.

To my embarrassment I have to confess that I have just heard some of Robert Schumann's Lieder for the first time.  Blew me away. 

RATS!!!!!! Now I will have to acquire his Lieder for my library.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Recently listened to this piece. The notation looks very clear and the piece sounds great!

https://www.youtube.com/v/mT96lgpX5N4

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: arpeggio on March 31, 2018, 10:01:12 PM

To my embarrassment I have to confess that I have just heard some of Robert Schumann's Lieder for the first time.  Blew me away. 

Posted six times! I think you've set a new record!  :)

knight66

Quote from: arpeggio on March 31, 2018, 10:01:12 PM

You can delete your own posts, feel free to reduce the amplification of your message.

Cheers,

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

knight66

Recently, after a gap of about 30 years, I have been relearning the bass choral part of Mahler 8 for a performance in August. Leading up to that we have been concentrating on Daphnis and Chloe, so the contrast has been a shot in the arm. I love the Ravel, but it is all ahhs and ooohs and inconclusive phrases. This time round I am a bit more alert to the odd sintila of themes that recur across the two movements. I have long had problems finding thematic tie-ins between the two dispirate movements. But they are there and no doubt many are embedded that I am too thick to detect.

As well as the adrenal rush of the propusive full-on passages, there is the wonderful beauty of the many filligree moments. It has sent me back to one of my favourite recordings, Wyn Morris. His take on it is rather how I imagine Furtwangler might have conducted it. An especially pointless thought process on my part especially as it was not in his repertoire, however, meant as a compliment. Morris manages a wonderful ebb and flow and especially suspensions where time stands still and you are taken somewhere entirely out of yourself.

Mike

Mahlerian

Quote from: knight66 on April 01, 2018, 12:11:59 AM
Recently, after a gap of about 30 years, I have been relearning the bass choral part of Mahler 8 for a performance in August. Leading up to that we have been concentrating on Daphnis and Chloe, so the contrast has been a shot in the arm. I love the Ravel, but it is all ahhs and ooohs and inconclusive phrases. This time round I am a bit more alert to the odd sintila of themes that recur across the two movements. I have long had problems finding thematic tie-ins between the two dispirate movements. But they are there and no doubt many are embedded that I am too thick to detect.

Pretty much every single element of Part 2 is derived from Part 1, most of it (however remotely) from the first few pages of the work.  Glad to hear you're coming to terms with it.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

knight66

Thanks, I probably did not make myself clear, the piece has been a great favourite for decades. I am not trying to reconcile myself to it. But its structure has puzzled me. A long time ago Jonathan here pointed out a couple of thematic tie-ups between the movements. But now, listening and looking from the inside of it, some more are emerging for me.

Mike

arpeggio

I am sorry gentlemen about the repetitions.  I kept receiving a message that my post was rejected and to try submitting later.  Every time I tried to submit the post I received the same message.  So I gave up.  This morning to my embarrassment I saw that six of my attempts were accepted  :o.  I will delete the duplicates.

Again my apologies.  April Fool on me.

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: arpeggio on April 01, 2018, 07:10:03 AM
I am sorry gentlemen about the repetitions.  I keep receiving a message that my post was rejected and to try submitting later.  Every time I tried to submit the post a received the same message.  So I gave up.  This morning to my embarrassment I saw that six of my attempts were accepted  :o.  I will delete the duplicates.

Again my apologies.  April Fool on me.

We've all been caught in that trap. :)

Mahlerian

Quote from: knight66 on April 01, 2018, 03:18:27 AMThanks, I probably did not make myself clear, the piece has been a great favourite for decades. I am not trying to reconcile myself to it. But its structure has puzzled me. A long time ago Jonathan here pointed out a couple of thematic tie-ups between the movements. But now, listening and looking from the inside of it, some more are emerging for me.

Thanks for the clarification.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

arpeggio

[asin]B00FLBA2QU[/asin]

Although I am familiar with the band version of Circuits the rest of the works on this CD are new to me.  I have been a big fan of Ms. McTee for many years.

arpeggio

Secured the following based on a post in the "Purchased Today" Thread.

[asin]B075KN3YMH[/asin]

WOW!  What fantastic music.  Even though I have a large Martinu selection in my library (even though are a few duplicates I have recordings of over 90 of his works in my library), this is a new work for me.  Some of the best Martinu I have ever heard.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: arpeggio on April 12, 2018, 04:37:38 PM

[asin]B075KN3YMH[/asin]

WOW!  What fantastic music.  Even though I have a large Martinu selection in my library (even though are a few duplicates I have recordings of over 90 of his works in my library), this is a new work for me.  Some of the best Martinu I have ever heard.

An excellent work without any doubt.

Mirror Image

[asin]B075KN3YMH[/asin]

A very nice work, but I wouldn't say it's quite on the same level as The Epic of Gilgamesh for example.

arpeggio

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2018, 09:12:28 PM
A very nice work, but I wouldn't say it's quite on the same level as The Epic of Gilgamesh for example.

So.  I do not think Beethoven's Fourth is as good as his Fifth but it is still a great listen  :)

arpeggio

[asin]B075KN3YMH[/asin]

As a result of my incompetence I missed an obvious feature of this CD.  The Philharmonic Dances sounded so much like Martinu I though they were composed by Martinu.  It was actually Christopher Marlow  ;)

Ainsi la nuit

I'm currently listening to the first sonata for piano by Charles Ives, played by the impeccable pianist Joanna MacGregor, whose recording of Birtwistle's Antiphonies I greatly admire. What is special here is that I had literally no idea that the first sonata is a work that actually exists - I always thought it was unrealized or completely lost! Maybe the abundance of recordings of the second sonata, widely considered a modern classic and rightly so, has led me to believe that perhaps there isn't a first sonata at all.

Unfinished though it apparently is, the first sonata is a huge work, spanning over thirty minutes. I'm so excited about this discovery!

Ives is one of my favourite composers, and his music commands my undivided attention whenever I listen to it. I love a lot of his music deeply. I might post about my thoughts on him at some point to the topic dedicated to him on this forum...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ainsi la nuit on April 14, 2018, 06:46:02 AM
I'm currently listening to the first sonata for piano by Charles Ives, played by the impeccable pianist Joanna MacGregor, whose recording of Birtwistle's Antiphonies I greatly admire. What is special here is that I had literally no idea that the first sonata is a work that actually exists - I always thought it was unrealized or completely lost! Maybe the abundance of recordings of the second sonata, widely considered a modern classic and rightly so, has led me to believe that perhaps there isn't a first sonata at all.

Unfinished though it apparently is, the first sonata is a huge work, spanning over thirty minutes. I'm so excited about this discovery!

Ives is one of my favourite composers, and his music commands my undivided attention whenever I listen to it. I love a lot of his music deeply. I might post about my thoughts on him at some point to the topic dedicated to him on this forum...

This would be most excellent and I look forward to your comments. Ives is a favorite of mine, too. Come to think of it, I don't think I heard his first piano sonata. Must be something!