Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arpeggio

[asin]B0007YMS22[/asin]

I already have recordings of the Corigliano and the Saariaho.

I only have one other work by Long is my library: Song of the Ch'in.

The Immortal, as will as the other works on the CD, are examples of contermporary that really appeal to me.

Mirror Image

I have to say that Shostakovich's Preludes & Fugues has blown me away. I finally was able to finish listening to the work and I've enjoyed it immensely.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 15, 2018, 06:09:50 AM
I have to say that Shostakovich's Preludes & Fugues has blown me away. I finally was able to finish listening to the work and I've enjoyed it immensely.
It's the only Shostakovich work I really enjoy...

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on April 15, 2018, 06:45:04 AM
It's the only Shostakovich work I really enjoy...

Yeah, I can hear why indeed, Rafael, but, of course, I love a lot of the composer's other music even if I don't listen to it with much frequency these days.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Thanks to the string quartet game, I have listened to the Adamek work on there for the first time and I enjoy it very much.

Mirror Image

I'm not a huge fan of contemporary trends in music, but this work from Samuel Andreyev has really impressed me:

https://www.youtube.com/v/_t2RefGg34w

arpeggio

[asin]B01B17C4TK[/asin]

I am currently listening to disc 7 in this set.  About half of the works I am unfamiliar with.  On disc 6 was a wonderful oboe concerto.

On this disc the new work that blew me away is the Philharmonic Concerto.  Awesome.

There are four more discs to listen to.  In the remaining discs there many new concertos that I looking forward to listen to.  This is a great set for anyone interested in Arnold.

Edit: I am now listening to the Symphony for Strings, op. 13.  Wow!!!!!!!!

arpeggio

[asin]B0000267VJ[/asin]

I am not sure whether it is the performance or the work but Bassoon Concerto blew me away.

king ubu

A (jazz) musician friend raved about Schumann's "Die Gesänge der Frühe" Op. 133 a few weeks ago, pointing out the Pollini recording, which I bought about a month ago, listening to "Die Gesänge" several times, without really getting them ... dug up the Staier recording this morning, and wow! This time they hit me in the face. Amazing stuff!

The disc, alas, is missing the rarely played third sonata - which is from 1853, as are "Die Gesänge der Frühe" - but it's excellent all around, I find!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

anothername

The things one can find on sound cloud, it's either hell ore dooming for eternity.

Judith

Listening to Saint Saens Violin Concerto no 3 and the second movement is so sublime.   Absolutely beautiful :)

SymphonicAddict

Two works of the highest level:

Hausegger - Barbarossa

German late-romanticism in all its glory! Absolutely terrific, knightly, heroic, lush, a true Technicolor symphonic poem. Something to wallow enormously.

Karayev - The Seven Beauties Suite

If this is the suite, I'll like to listen to the rest of this magnificent and opulent score! I can perceive a strong voice of Karayev and echoes from some composers (Respighi, Shostakovich, Rimsky-Korsakov, Prokofiev, Khachaturian) blended with Oriental exoticism. The result is mindblowing, simply ravishing.

I'm fully blown away by these works.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I have never heard such a colourful solo organ work before. Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/v/kwE6NFFCRQY

aleazk

DaveF

Not me, but my son (15) has had to write an essay on Grieg's Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen, despite which he has talked about it all evening with the greatest enthusiasm.  When I confessed that the entirety of Grieg in my collection was one Django Reinhardt track (Fantaisie sur une danse norvégienne) he was horrified.  So now I'm under orders to buy recordings of all the Lyric Pieces (Ciccolini's 3-disc set is supposedly very good).
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Baron Scarpia

I have the Oppitz set of Grieg Piano music (complete). It exists, I can say that much. Never cracked it open. :(

North Star

Quote from: DaveF on May 16, 2018, 01:55:41 PM
Not me, but my son (15) has had to write an essay on Grieg's Bryllupsdag på Troldhaugen, despite which he has talked about it all evening with the greatest enthusiasm.  When I confessed that the entirety of Grieg in my collection was one Django Reinhardt track (Fantaisie sur une danse norvégienne) he was horrified.  So now I'm under orders to buy recordings of all the Lyric Pieces (Ciccolini's 3-disc set is supposedly very good).
It's indeed a beautiful piece. I only have Andsnes' album of selections (Bryllupsdag included, naturligvis) on Grieg's Steinway, and I do like it very much.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

DaveF

Thanks, both.  Physical discs of the Oppitz are at silly prices, but Qobuz has the whole set for £15.49 (or £54.99, depending on which you feel like paying), so I may pull the trigger on that one - reviews are generally good without being ecstatic.  Andsnes' and Gilels' selections seem to be the classic ones.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Jaakko Keskinen

La Damnation de Faust by Hector Berlioz. It is so wonderful.

The first chorus is so irresistibly catchy that it makes one wonder why Faust was so weary of life while listening to it.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Ainsi la nuit

I decided to take a plunge into the world of Roger Sessions yesterday, and I have been enormously impressed so far - even though I've only listened to a few of his works!

There's something about his way of writing that reminds me of Schoenberg - one of my favourite composers! - but I haven't listened to his work enough to make any further assessments about such impressions. I did encounter some of his thoughts on twelve-tone music, and many of his views resonated with me strongly.

Any recommendations are well appreciated! It's sad to see that his music seems to have slipped out of the radar in recent times, so to say. At least it's quite difficult to find articles, reviews and analyses of his work online. I wish more artists would record this music and bring it back to the spotlight - it certainly deserves more attention!

On other news, I also listened to Mahler's 3rd symphony for the first time since last summer, and my love for the work has been once again multiplied. What an absolutely stunning piece of music! How can it be that whenever I listen to a Mahler symphony, that symphony feels like the most important piece of music ever written? The 3rd in particular holds a very special place in my heart. The Nietzsche setting is one of the most magical moments in the entire symphonic literature.