Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: jessop on May 28, 2018, 06:23:33 AM
I have to confess I have never really listened to it

I don't know about required listening, but I like it. I find it is a piece which is brilliant, or falls flat for me, depending on the performance. I like Dutoit best.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 28, 2018, 07:20:58 AM
I don't know about required listening, but I like it. I find it is a piece which is brilliant, or falls flat for me, depending on the performance. I like Dutoit best.

I personally like Dutoit the least. In fact, Dutoit is hardly a conductor I flock to anyway. Jessop, try Boulez's Columbia performance. You'll thank me later. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alberich on May 28, 2018, 07:11:40 AM
The only work I like from Bartok so far is Bluebeard's castle. :/ Seems like I like absolute music less and less as the time goes by...

No love for The Miraculous Mandarin, Dance Suite, or Hungarian Sketches? :-\

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2018, 08:39:04 AM

Not when I last listened to them. I'll report back when I do love them - maybe it just takes a few re-listenings.  :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SymphonicAddict

Two magnificent works, widely contrasted in mood:

Dmitry Kabalevsky - Piano sonata No. 2 in E flat major, Op. 45: Wow, such a dramatic piano sonata. Composed in 1945, an authentic war sonata: turbulent, relentless, with few moments of rest. Its power is so big that it seems a symphony. What a discovery!

Arthur Meulemans - Symphony No. 3 Fir: Composed in 1933, this is a dreamy, utterly inspiring work, with a noticeable impressionistic influence. The magical landscape Meulemans painted is really fairy. They are around 19 minutes of sheer ecstasy.

Baron Scarpia

Two works from this release:

[asin]B00000E4XT[/asin]

Tre Ricercare, especially the first movement which begins modestly and builds to a fever pitch of joy and creativity, and the second which begins sounding like a Bach Trio Sonata before waking up to the 20th century.

The other revelation was the first Canzone from Toccata e due Canzoni. This is a slow movement which begins with a haunting ostinato on piano which recurs at various points during the movement, between passages of haunting chromaticism.

Both are utterly beautiful and unique.

Jaakko Keskinen

The Snow Maiden by Rimsky-Korsakov. Why are his operas performed so rarely? I would love to see them live!
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

arpeggio

Quote from: Alberich on June 10, 2018, 08:51:05 AM
The Snow Maiden by Rimsky-Korsakov. Why are his operas performed so rarely? I would love to see them live!

I remember when I first discovered this opera about a year ago.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: arpeggio on June 10, 2018, 06:01:30 PM
I remember when I first discovered this opera about a year ago.

And, did you like it?  8)

- Victor Hugo

arpeggio

Quote from: Alberich on June 11, 2018, 07:25:52 AM
And, did you like it?  8)

Of course I did  ;) Blew me away.

andolink

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2018, 08:39:04 AM
Quote from: Alberich on May 28, 2018, 02:19:47 PM
Not when I last listened to them. I'll report back when I do love them - maybe it just takes a few re-listenings.  :)

The Miraculous Mandarin is Rite of Spring on angel dust. Love it!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: springrite on June 12, 2018, 05:48:07 PM
The Miraculous Mandarin is Rite of Spring on angel dust. Love it!

Of course, as is usual with some of these outstanding 20th century ballet scores, like the Stravinsky Ballets, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe, and Miraculous Mandarin, the suites are USELESS.

If you want to get any idea of the real impact of these works, always go for the full-length piece.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Monsieur Croche

Michael Tippet ~ Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli, for string orchestra (1953)

This is a stringent yet lush-sounding work (enough so a colleague called it 'erotic'), and the counterpoint therein is quite stunning.
The piece impressed me greatly, and I've given it several listens already.  It is also a bit striking to me that compared to others of the more-most modern pieces from that decade, this stands out as a composer who was absolutely following the beat of their own drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZv8IxuS1I
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Omicron9

Berg: "Lyric Suite."  It's been blowing me away for the past 20+ years, but I pulled it out and gave it another listen this week.  The blow-away factor only increases for me.  Heilig schiesse.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

arpeggio

springrite

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on June 18, 2018, 07:11:14 PM
Of course, as is usual with some of these outstanding 20th century ballet scores, like the Stravinsky Ballets, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe, and Miraculous Mandarin, the suites are USELESS.

If you want to get any idea of the real impact of these works, always go for the full-length piece.

I totally agree.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Maestro267

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on June 18, 2018, 07:11:14 PM

I agree too. And it doesn't just apply to these shortish scores either. Just go for the full-length piece every time.