Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 1

This is clearly one of the most impressive revelations this year for me. What a stunning work! The music sounds so fresh, so invigorating, sometimes raw and with an incredible spark. I hope the rest of them will be similar or better!

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 07, 2018, 01:22:01 PM

Symphony No. 1

This is clearly one of the most impressive revelations this year for me. What a stunning work! The music sounds so fresh, so invigorating, sometimes raw and with an incredible spark. I hope the rest of them will be similar or better!

This looks very interesting. Musicweb is quite enthusiastic too. Where and how did you get this set? I can't find it on Amazon  :(.

pjme

Donnerwetter!

https://www.youtube.com/v/WDm2wTyw_xM

read more onhis symphonies: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Sep/Sulek_symphonies.htm

Jan Kapr (Prague 1914-1988) wrote some eerily unsettling music. I love his seventh symphony - creepy in an unusual, poetic way!

https://www.youtube.com/v/rovupxmbCw0

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on November 07, 2018, 05:07:36 PM
This looks very interesting. Musicweb is quite enthusiastic too. Where and how did you get this set? I can't find it on Amazon  :(.

I acquired this set in a garage sale. It appears that is not easy to get it, so I had to buy it immediately.

Jaakko Keskinen

BWV 70. It's almost as good as BWV 65. Almost.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

SymphonicAddict

Oh, holy God from the most majestic heavens!!! I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by this hyper-monumental and inextinguishably glorious opera!!! Oh God, a million thanks for bringing this world to Puccini. He was a genius of the highest calibre, and such a sensitive human being to give life suchlike apotheosis in music!!! It's definitely and without any doubt a work of supreme creativity, power, majesty, awesomeness, greatness, exoticism, colorful, and so on!!! Several tears of ecstasy were provoked at listening to this. What an unforgettable experience!!! Now I think I can die in peace  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 22, 2018, 10:38:10 AM

Oh, holy God from the most majestic heavens!!! I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by this hyper-monumental and inextinguishably glorious opera!!! Oh God, a million thanks for bringing this world to Puccini. He was a genius of the highest calibre, and such a sensitive human being to give life suchlike apotheosis in music!!! It's definitely and without any doubt a work of supreme creativity, power, majesty, awesomeness, greatness, exoticism, colorful, and so on!!! Several tears of ecstasy were provoked at listening to this. What an unforgettable experience!!!

This must be the most enthusiastic ode to Puccini ever posted on this forum --- not that there were many.

Now I think I can die in peace  ;D

And Puccini can finally rest in peace, he's been eulogized on GMG.

:D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on November 23, 2018, 05:26:28 AM
This must be the most enthusiastic ode to Puccini ever posted on this forum --- not that there were many.

And Puccini can finally rest in peace, he's been eulogized on GMG.

:D

Hehehe it's true. I saw his thread and there are no many posts. He's not the only composer, though.

Maestro267

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 22, 2018, 10:38:10 AM
Oh, holy God from the most majestic heavens!!! I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by this hyper-monumental and inextinguishably glorious opera!!! Oh God, a million thanks for bringing this world to Puccini. He was a genius of the highest calibre, and such a sensitive human being to give life suchlike apotheosis in music!!! It's definitely and without any doubt a work of supreme creativity, power, majesty, awesomeness, greatness, exoticism, colorful, and so on!!! Several tears of ecstasy were provoked at listening to this. What an unforgettable experience!!! Now I think I can die in peace  ;D

This is one of my favourite posts I've ever read on this forum. I totally echo all of these sentiments. An utterly stellar recording of the opera too.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Maestro267 on November 24, 2018, 04:20:52 AM
This is one of my favourite posts I've ever read on this forum. I totally echo all of these sentiments. An utterly stellar recording of the opera too.

It's possibly the best available recording with such a stellar cast. I think that all about this recording is top-notch.

Crudblud

Currently struck by the beauty of Schoenberg's Op. 26, which had previously eluded me.

Cato

Quote from: Crudblud on December 14, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
Currently struck by the beauty of Schoenberg's  Op. 26, which had previously eluded me.

We welcome all to the Opus 26, no matter when!   8)

For those who do not know the work:

https://www.youtube.com/v/NrtmTu1PxY0
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daverz

Cato

Quote from: Daverz on December 14, 2018, 04:40:12 PM
Fixed.

Thank you!  I even checked it with a Preview!   ???

I have found a different performance: see above!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Leroy Anderson's Piano Concerto in C major, his only "serious" (non-"light music") work. What an utterly delightful work, chock-full of instantly memorable tunes, wit, and charm! At just 20 minutes it is over far too soon. It would make a great substitute for the Gershwin concerto or Rhapsody in Blue on a concert program. It makes me wish he had written many more "serious" works, but I should probably give his "light music" a chance  :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

schnittkease

Did you know that Anderson withdrew the work as he felt it had weak spots? If you do choose to explore the light music, I can wholeheartedly recommend this release:

[asin]B000009HTO[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on December 15, 2018, 02:08:11 PM
Leroy Anderson's Piano Concerto in C major, his only "serious" (non-"light music") work. What an utterly delightful work, chock-full of instantly memorable tunes, wit, and charm! At just 20 minutes it is over far too soon. It would make a great substitute for the Gershwin concerto or Rhapsody in Blue on a concert program. It makes me wish he had written many more "serious" works, but I should probably give his "light music" a chance  :D

Cheers, Kyle! Try the Naxos series, it has several volumes of pure joy. My firm favorite is Buggler's Holiday.

Oh, and I disagree (sort of): his Piano Concerto is as light as his other works and his other works are as serious as his Piano Concerto. Writing genuinely light music is a serious business and writing first-hand light music is much more difficult than writing second- or third-hand serious music.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kyjo

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Seems as if I have some delightful listening ahead of me :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Crosspost from the WAYLT thread
Anyone heard of Kurt Leimer?
Because as pianist and composer he contributes the most interesting CD in this sub-box of the Karajan Remastered

He apparently wrote several concertos for himself to play as soloist. This CD includes the Concerto in C and the Concerto for the Left Hand, originally released on the Electrola label in Germany. The Karajan set seems to be the only incarnation available on CD.  Amazon has several entries for him in the Digital Music category, including this one which might be the same recording
[asin]B001L051U2[/asin]

The Karajan liner notes say that when Strauss heard him play Panthenaenzug he was so impressed he gave Leimer the exclusive right to play it for three years.
I don't think the Concerto in C is one of the Amazon downloads.

At any rate, I think these concertos deserve being revived by a modern pianist. There is more than a little jazz evident, but the overall effect is sort of Gershwin meets Prokofiev.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

kyjo

Quote from: JBS on December 19, 2018, 04:02:28 PM
Crosspost from the WAYLT thread
Anyone heard of Kurt Leimer?
Because as pianist and composer he contributes the most interesting CD in this sub-box of the Karajan Remastered

He apparently wrote several concertos for himself to play as soloist. This CD includes the Concerto in C and the Concerto for the Left Hand, originally released on the Electrola label in Germany. The Karajan set seems to be the only incarnation available on CD.  Amazon has several entries for him in the Digital Music category, including this one which might be the same recording
[asin]B001L051U2[/asin]

The Karajan liner notes say that when Strauss heard him play Panthenaenzug he was so impressed he gave Leimer the exclusive right to play it for three years.
I don't think the Concerto in C is one of the Amazon downloads.

At any rate, I think these concertos deserve being revived by a modern pianist. There is more than a little jazz evident, but the overall effect is sort of Gershwin meets Prokofiev.

Sounds delightful! Thanks for bringing him to our attention.