Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2019, 09:47:38 AM
One of my least favorite Prokofiev ballets (along with Romeo & Juliet).

To the bolded text: ???
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on February 11, 2019, 03:14:55 PM
To the bolded text: ???

Well, it's true. I like these two ballets the least and it's not because they're popular (well...The Stone Flower isn't popular), but rather because I find the them overlong with some good ideas, but my interest begins to wane quite a bit when listening to them and this especially goes for The Stone Flower. I have found that I've lived with this music for many years now that my tastes have become more streamlined and, dare I say, I've become more discriminating towards certain works and composers. I simply can't help it, but it's just the way my ears have developed over the years.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2019, 03:45:29 PM
Well, it's true. I like these two ballets the least and it's not because they're popular (well...The Stone Flower isn't popular), but rather because I find the them overlong with some good ideas, but my interest begins to wane quite a bit when listening to them

Try watching them instead of listening to them. After all, that's what they are meant for. Just saying.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2019, 03:45:29 PM
Well, it's true. I like these two ballets the least and it's not because they're popular (well...The Stone Flower isn't popular), but rather because I find the them overlong with some good ideas, but my interest begins to wane quite a bit when listening to them and this especially goes for The Stone Flower. I have found that I've lived with this music for many years now that my tastes have become more streamlined and, dare I say, I've become more discriminating towards certain works and composers. I simply can't help it, but it's just the way my ears have developed over the years.
Yet you object when I say exactly the same thing about Debussy's orchestral longueurs  ::)

Stone Flower is certainly too long and a bit slack in places. But the suite is gorgeous.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 12, 2019, 12:48:40 AM
Yet you object when I say exactly the same thing about Debussy's orchestral longueurs  ::)

Stone Flower is certainly too long and a bit slack in places. But the suite is gorgeous.

Umm....no. It's not the same thing. You've made a punchline (or attempted a punchline rather) at Debussy's La Mer for a long, long time and have already ,more than anything, stated how you feel about this work. I think I'm allowed a 'get out of jail' pass for my comments on those Prokofiev ballets. I've only made two comments on them and compared to your endless barrage of insults hurled at Debussy's La Mer, it's absolutely nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on February 12, 2019, 12:35:17 AM
Try watching them instead of listening to them. After all, that's what they are meant for. Just saying.  :D

I don't really understand ballet or the choreography behind it and a lot of the ballet music I love (i. e. Bartók's The Miraculous Mandarin, Stravinsky's Agon, Debussy's Jeux, etc.), I don't really understand how they thought the music could be danced to. But that's just my uninformed, uneducated opinion. :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 12, 2019, 07:50:30 AM
I don't really understand ballet or the choreography behind it and a lot of the ballet music I love (i. e. Bartók's _The Miraculous Mandarin_, Stravinsky's _Agon_, Debussy's _Jeux_, etc.), I don't really understand how they thought the music could be danced to. But that's just my uninformed, uneducated opinion. :)
Apparently neither did most of the audience when the work was premiered. Stravinsky got Debussy trumped with The Rite of Spring a few weeks later with the same ballet company.

Florestan

(Cross post from WAYLT thread)

Maiden listen

Beethoven --- An die Ferne Geliebte Op. 98

No. 1: Auf dem Hügel sitz ich spähend

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau / Joerg Demus

Great. Gorgeous. Exquisite. Superb. Splendid. Excellent.

Bottom line: I am blown away.

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 09:51:05 AM

Maiden listen

Yes, a very fine work indeed. Schubert was aiming to out-do it with Einsamkeit, D620. I've been meaning to listen to them together.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on February 23, 2019, 10:19:36 AM
Yes, a very fine work indeed. Schubert was aiming to out-do it with Einsamkeit, D620. I've been meaning to listen to them together.

Thanks for the tip. I know what I'll be listening to later tonight.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 09:51:05 AM

Maiden listen

For once we agree on things musical!   ;)  Indeed, a wonderful piece in a wonderful performance....

"Diese Wolken in den Höhen,
Dieser Vöglein muntrer Zug,
Werden dich, o Huldin, sehen...."

Wunderbar!  :) :) :) :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 10:51:27 AM
For once we agree on things musical!   ;) 

Alas!   :-*

Winderbar!  :) :) :) :)

That's the Catalan word for maravilloso, right?   :) :) :) :)

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 11:05:28 AM
That's the Catalan word for maravilloso, right?   :) :) :) :)
Maleïda correcció automàtica... >:(

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 11:37:46 AM
Maleïda correcció automàtica... >:(

Què hi ha en un nom? El que anomenem un'  rosa
per qualsevol alt' nom, farà olor tan dolç.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mirror Image

I don't want to say 'blown away' as this adjective means my jaw dropped, but Roussel's Résurrection is a close contender. This work is hardly a revolutionary piece nor is it particularly innovative, but it's absolutely oozing with atmosphere and so gorgeous. Apparently, it was composed during Roussel's time as a student, so this was around 1902-03.

https://www.youtube.com/v/nfOHWRnxPsw

SymphonicAddict

Some works have made that for me lately, among them this Piano Quintet by Vittorio Giannini. A composer often associated more with band music, he composed some relevant chamber music. The PQ could be easily associated with some styles, but certainly it works like synthesis between French influence (with the tonal Martin) and sonority of the late-romantics. The label is from the Australian MSR Classics.

I was gripped by it, I was at the edge of my seat, very stunned!

Mirror Image

I'll go ahead and say that Enescu's Oedipe has blown me away!

This recording in particular:

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2019, 04:20:37 PM

Interesting. How will you and Andrei manage to fight over this?  >:D ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 05:18:57 PM
Interesting. How will you and Andrei manage to fight over this?  >:D ;)

I've never heard it so I can't comment.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 04, 2019, 04:20:37 PM

Glad to read this, John. I was sure it would impress you... A masterpiece!

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 11:53:37 PM
I've never heard it so I can't comment.
How very unpatriotic of you, Andrei;) I really recommend this opera...It's noble, profound, moving and exquisitely written.