Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2019, 08:41:01 PM
Very cool work. I like it. Believe it or not, I played Jonchaies for my mom and she really enjoyed it.

Then your mom has good taste!  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Maestro267 on June 07, 2019, 09:00:55 AM
Reger's Mozart Variations hasn't so much blown me away as it has charmed me no end. It's absolutely stunning! Mozart's original theme (from the first movement of the Piano Sonata in A, K. 331, apparently itself a set of variations on this theme) is very memorable...

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 07, 2019, 10:32:56 AM
The Hiller Variations are even better IMO.

I love the Mozart Variations (and not only because K.331 is my favorite Mozart Sonata) but I have to agree: the Hiller Variations are even better.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 07, 2019, 11:32:57 AM
I love the Mozart Variations (and not only because K.331 is my favorite Mozart Sonata) but I have to agree: the Hiller Variations are even better.

Sarge

Favorite recordings?

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 07, 2019, 10:33:48 AM
Then your mom has good taste!  ;)

:D Indeed, and all joking aside, she has enjoyed a lot of the classical music I've played back for her. I think her favorite so far has been Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps. Yeah, she's definitely my mom. ;) ;D

Florestan

Yesterday, on radio while driving

Dvorak - Symphony No. 3 - Czech PO, Jiri Belohlavek

A first listen to this splendid work. Reminded me that I haven't yet listened to all of Dvorak's symphonies.

Tioday, ditto:

Beethoven - Piano Sonata Op. 2 No. 3 - Alice Sara Ott

Not a first listen to this splendid work. Reminded me that I haven't yet listened to all of Beethoven's piano sonatas.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on June 20, 2019, 11:17:12 AM
Yesterday, on radio while driving

Dvorak - Symphony No. 3 - Czech PO, Jiri Belohlavek

A first listen to this splendid work. Reminded me that I haven't yet listened to all of Dvorak's symphonies.

Tioday, ditto:

Beethoven - Piano Sonata Op. 2 No. 3 - Alice Sara Ott

Not a first listen to this splendid work. Reminded me that I haven't yet listened to all of Beethoven's piano sonatas.

All the Dvorak symphonies are very good, even his first two, but it's from the 3rd that his style gets more personal and Czech.

I'm starting revisiting all his sonatas and I'm finding them better than I had thought of initially.

arpeggio

The have never been able to connect to the early works of Phillip Glass, but his later stuff has blown me away.

I just heard his Tenth Symphony.  Wow.

Christo

Quote from: arpeggio on June 20, 2019, 08:09:27 PM
The have never been able to connect to the early works of Phillip Glass, but his later stuff has blown me away.

Brian felt differently, in his review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Aug/Glass_sy10_OMM0101.htm  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 20, 2019, 11:29:21 AM
All the Dvorak symphonies are very good, even his first two, but it's from the 3rd that his style gets more personal and Czech.

Well, I found the 3rd to be rather Wagnerian than Czech.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on June 20, 2019, 11:43:24 PM
Well, I found the 3rd to be rather Wagnerian than Czech.  :D
Oh oh. Someone has set Andrei off on "the abominable Brucknerization of Czech folk dances".

arpeggio

Quote from: Christo on June 20, 2019, 10:03:40 PM
Brian felt differently, in his review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Aug/Glass_sy10_OMM0101.htm  ;D

Thanks for the interesting review.  The recording I listened to was a BBC Music Magazine CD with BBC National Orchestra of Whales conducted by Nicholas Collon.  Mr. Reinhart would have disliked that recording as well.  My feelings are definitely different about the symphony.

Ken B

Quote from: arpeggio on June 20, 2019, 08:09:27 PM

Do you know the concerti? Wonderful things. I especially like the Tympani one but the two VCs are the most popular.
I have not heard symphony 10 yet, but really like 8.

arpeggio

Quote from: Ken B on June 21, 2019, 11:18:07 AM
Do you know the concerti? Wonderful things. I especially like the Tympani one but the two VCs are the most popular.
I have not heard symphony 10 yet, but really like 8.

I am familiar with a few, including tympani and saxophone quartet.

kyjo

Cross-posted from the "Favorite Viola Concerti" thread:

Just recently I played the orchestra part for the Theme and Variations for viola and orchestra (1940) by American composer Alan Shulman (1915-2002), whose music I had never encountered before. What a fine work, possibly a masterpiece! It sounds much more British than American, with gorgeous modal harmonies often reminiscent of Vaughan Williams (though by no means slavishly derivative). After progressing through several dancelike, virtuosic variations, the work concludes with a moving chorale and a spine-tingling postlude which concludes the work on a resigned note. There exist three different versions of the work - with full orchestra, string orchestra and harp, or piano. Of those, I prefer the version with string orchestra and harp, and all three can be found on YouTube. Highly recommended!!

https://youtu.be/tyUTRdstJow
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on June 22, 2019, 09:11:19 PM
Cross-posted from the "Favorite Viola Concerti" thread:

Just recently I played the orchestra part for the Theme and Variations for viola and orchestra (1940) by American composer Alan Shulman (1915-2002), whose music I had never encountered before. What a fine work, possibly a masterpiece! It sounds much more British than American, with gorgeous modal harmonies often reminiscent of Vaughan Williams (though by no means slavishly derivative). After progressing through several dancelike, virtuosic variations, the work concludes with a moving chorale and a spine-tingling postlude which concludes the work on a resigned note. There exist three different versions of the work - with full orchestra, string orchestra and harp, or piano. Of those, I prefer the version with string orchestra and harp, and all three can be found on YouTube. Highly recommended!!

https://youtu.be/tyUTRdstJow

I'll be investigating this. Thanks!

SymphonicAddict

Two riveting works:

Strauss - Salome - Opera in one act

Wow! This opera has been a revelation of the highest importance for me. I'm astounded by the intense drama deployed, the lush orchestration, the dramatic voices who make this piece a real treat to hear. It's quite breathless most of the time. It was noticeable the prominent role of the orchestra, making it a very symphonic opera. The Dance of the Seven Veils is a tone poem itself, supremely spectacular. And what about that stirring ending? The epitome of tragedy!! Needless to say that now it's one of my favorite operas and favorite works by Strauss.

http://www.youtube.com/v/G69cAO6Wui0

Castillon - Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op. 1

How on earth is it little known nowadays? Likely this is not a case of 'neglected composers deserve their fame'. I don't think so. This work is an ode to love, to beauty. It's a superb example of French piano quintets written in the 19th century, more precisely composed in 1863. It sounds pretty original for that time. Those melodies... oh God, lovely, just lovely. They stick on your mind. All in all, a moving and emotional find for me. Castillon wrote few works, unfortunately he died at a premature age. By listening to this work I realize the important loss he meant for music.

andolink

First listening to Bach's Easter Oratorio, BWV 249 and blown away I was.

Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brick Wall Series Mode Power Conditioner)

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on June 30, 2019, 12:03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/G69cAO6Wui0

Castillon - Piano Quintet in E-flat major, Op. 1

How on earth is it little known nowadays? Likely this is not a case of 'neglected composers deserve their fame'. I don't think so. This work is an ode to love, to beauty. It's a superb example of French piano quintets written in the 19th century, more precisely composed in 1863. It sounds pretty original for that time. Those melodies... oh God, lovely, just lovely. They stick on your mind. All in all, a moving and emotional find for me. Castillon wrote few works, unfortunately he died at a premature age. By listening to this work I realize the important loss he meant for music.

Haven't heard his Piano Quintet, but Castillon's Piano Concerto is a real beauty with the most gorgeous first movement. Perhaps the finale is a bit of a letdown (comparatively), but it's certainly a work worth hearing.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Cross-posted from the Schulhoff thread:

It's a shame to see this remarkable composer has only one page to his thread! Well, just now I discovered a work of great genius and wit: Schulhoff's Piano Concerto no. 2 (alternatively titled Concerto for Piano and Small Orchestra, but the orchestra employed sounds anything but small, with a colorfully augmented percussion section!). It's very much a work of its time (1923), and though one can hear the occasional influences of Ravel and Prokofiev, Schulhoff's style is quite personal. The Amazon blurb very accurately describes it as "a wild blend of Impressionist, late-Romantic and jazz-inspired sounds and rhythms." The first movement opens mysteriously and builds to a frenzied climax right before the end. The second movement returns to the mysterious, impressionistic mood of the opening and there's some truly magical writing towards the end. And then comes the madcap romp of the finale, where the aforementioned augmented percussion section (including one exotic-sounding instrument which I can't identify) really comes into play! In the center of the movement, there's a tender duet between a solo violin and the piano to offer some respite. Highly recommended to anyone who loves 20th century piano concerti:

[asin]B00J9SEXKM[/asin]
(one of multiple recordings)

https://youtu.be/10F3IxZkoCs

pjme

Quote from: kyjo on July 04, 2019, 05:57:26 PM
Cross-posted from the Schulhoff thread:
(including one exotic-sounding instrument which I can't identify)

I think it is a "flute à coulisse".
https://youtu.be/y3QLKyPX4M0

Ravel used it in L'enfant et les sortilèges. It features often in old funny films soundtracks (Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry etc.)