Pieces that have blown you away recently

Started by arpeggio, September 09, 2016, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2020, 09:59:58 AM
he wrote two cello concerti - Concierto in modo galante and Concierto como un Divertimento. I've heard one of them, can't remember which...

I can't either.  :D

All I can remember is that the one I've listened to is excellent.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

relm1

Quote from: arpeggio on August 01, 2020, 08:14:34 AM
I hope I will not be disappointed in the others.

I had an interesting experience with the symphonies of George Lloyd.  The very first one of his that I heard was the seventh.  It blew me away.  Although his other symphonies were OK, none of them packed the wallop of the seventh.  It still is my favorite work by Lloyd.

Oh good for you!  I am currently doing a musical analysis of George Lloyd's No. 7.  It's fantastic!  He is a wonderful composer and is unjustly neglected.  The No. 7 is a turbulent work befitting its subject matter but extremely beautiful too.  It's almost like a symphony ballet.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2020, 09:14:36 AM
Very cool, Cesar. Having been very impressed by Hartmann's 6th Symphony recently, I'm keen to explore more of his music.

If you don't know it yet, please don't walk, run to give it a try! You'll be in for a real treat!  8)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

I hesitate btw Arnell's 4th and 5th symphonies. Both are remarkable. The 4th's first movement and the 5th's last are stunning. 

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on August 16, 2020, 04:16:31 PM
Oh good for you!  I am currently doing a musical analysis of George Lloyd's No. 7.  It's fantastic!  He is a wonderful composer and is unjustly neglected.  The No. 7 is a turbulent work befitting its subject matter but extremely beautiful too.  It's almost like a symphony ballet.

+1 I'd be interested to read your analysis once you're finished! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

arpeggio

I have just listened to the following CD on the Naxos Music Library.

The works on the CD are:

John Adams: Hallelujah Junction
Steven Mackey: Stumble to Grace While the other works on this CD are solo piano, this one is for piano and orchestra
Steven Mackey: Sneaky March
John Adams: China Gates

These are new works for me.

Steven Mackey is a new composer for me.

The following is a biography of Mr. Mackey from the Naxos website:

"Steven Mackey's first musical passion was playing the electric guitar in rock bands based in northern California. He later discovered concert music and has composed for orchestras, chamber ensembles, dance and opera. Among his commissions are works for the Chicago, San Francisco and St Louis Symphonies, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Orchestra of St Martin-in-the-Fields, the Swedish, Scottish and Irish Chamber Orchestras, BBC Philharmonic, the Kronos Quartet, the Brentano String Quartet, the Borromeo String Quartet and many others. As a guitarist he has performed his chamber music with the Arditti, Brentano, Borromeo and Kronos Quartets, the London Sinfonietta, Joey Baron, Fred Sherry and many others. He has performed his concertos with many conductors including, Dennis Russel Davies, Peter Eötvös, David Robertson, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Michael Tilson Thomas and David Zinman. Steven Mackey is currently Professor of Music and chairman of the music department at Princeton University where he has been a member of the faculty since 1985."

arpeggio

Julius Röntgen.

I have just discovered this fine composer.  There are not that many entries about him in GMG.

[asin]B06WWR7YZ6[/asin]

springrite

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2020, 10:01:05 AM
Please do report back with your thoughts! ;)

Had a good listening of the Lloyd 7th. I remembered the turbulent and powerful third movement, but I had not noticed last time how beautiful the second movement was.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on August 17, 2020, 06:58:16 AM
Had a good listening of the Lloyd 7th. I remembered the turbulent and powerful third movement, but I had not noticed last time how beautiful the second movement was.

Indeed, the second movement is an oasis of calm between the turbulent, dramatic outer movements.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Maestro267

Quote from: relm1 on August 16, 2020, 04:16:31 PM

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2020, 07:06:34 PM
+1 I'd be interested to read your analysis once you're finished! :)

+1 here too. The 7th was the first Lloyd symphony I heard.

I think the work that has blown me away most recently is Karl Amadeus Hartmann's 6th Symphony. I've not heard music as thrilling as the finale of this symphony since I first heard the finale of Ginastera's 1st Piano Concerto.

T. D.

Mysterious Mountain, from this

though I enjoy this whole disc.

I never listened to Hovhaness before, didn't think I'd like it. I think John ("Mirror Image") recently made a traversal of H's work, which made me scratch my head. Recently got the above as part of a box and saw the point.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: T. D. on August 20, 2020, 07:39:48 AM

I never listened to Hovhaness before, didn't think I'd like it. I think John ("Mirror Image") recently made a traversal of H's work, which made me scratch my head. Recently got the above as part of a box and saw the point.
I remember hearing his whales work a while ago and recall liking it...quite different!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on August 20, 2020, 07:39:48 AM

That work embodies the best of Hovhaness. A life-enhancing creation.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Symphonic Addict

I wouldn't hesitate to include this bunch like deserved pieces that really have blown away me recently:

1) The epic and monolithic Kabelac's Mystery of Time. This is how a riveting passacaglia would sound like. Listening to this stupendous work makes me realize its rigurous grandeur, imposing marching-like sections carrying a very sharp rhythm. Sounds like war struggles. The last sections are incredibly moving. It's very impressive.

2) The Concerto per voci s strumenti by Lepo Sumera. For chorus (plus clapping closing the work) and strings. A most singular piece this is. Weirdly beautiful would be a general apt description. It's like a mosaic of moods and styles, from the most ineffable moving music to apparently non-sense dissertations by the different voices from the chorus. The 2nd movement is simply mesmerizingly gorgeous. A mini-masterpiece. It reflects what a stunning composer Sumera was. A work of a genius IMO. Don't miss this.

3) The suffocatingly lovely Rautavaara's Lintukoto (Isle of Bliss), for orchestra. Not apt for hedonistic nor sybarite people (because they could become addicted by it). Ravishing, indescribably captivating beauty expressed in music, and Rautavaara printing his mystical and serious mood achieves a remarkable work, and he used the orchestration to great effect.

Noam Chomsky

Christo

Quote from: arpeggio on August 16, 2020, 08:38:57 PM
Julius Röntgen.

I have just discovered this fine composer.  There are not that many entries about him in GMG.

[asin]B06WWR7YZ6[/asin]
There's this thread about him: https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9988.msg1288334.html#msg1288334
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Symphonic Addict

Dutilleux: Piano Sonata

Really superb stuff. The sense of mystery that this work encapsulates is nothing short of spellbinding. One of the best piano works I've listened to lately.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 22, 2020, 05:31:38 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to include this bunch like deserved pieces that really have blown away me recently:

1) The epic and monolithic Kabelac's Mystery of Time. This is how a riveting passacaglia would sound like. Listening to this stupendous work makes me realize its rigurous grandeur, imposing marching-like sections carrying a very sharp rhythm. Sounds like war struggles. The last sections are incredibly moving. It's very impressive.

2) The Concerto per voci s strumenti by Lepo Sumera. For chorus (plus clapping closing the work) and strings. A most singular piece this is. Weirdly beautiful would be a general apt description. It's like a mosaic of moods and styles, from the most ineffable moving music to apparently non-sense dissertations by the different voices from the chorus. The 2nd movement is simply mesmerizingly gorgeous. A mini-masterpiece. It reflects what a stunning composer Sumera was. A work of a genius IMO. Don't miss this.

3) The suffocatingly lovely Rautavaara's Lintukoto (Isle of Bliss), for orchestra. Not apt for hedonistic nor sybarite people (because they could become addicted by it). Ravishing, indescribably captivating beauty expressed in music, and Rautavaara printing his mystical and serious mood achieves a remarkable work, and he used the orchestration to great effect.
+1 for Mystery of Time and I like those whales in the Hovhaness work. Sumera's Symphony No.2 is a great work so I must try to hear the work for chorus, clapping and strings as well. He was a most interesting composer who died too young.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 27, 2020, 07:30:26 PM

Really superb stuff. The sense of mystery that this work encapsulates is nothing short of spellbinding. One of the best piano works I've listened to lately.

Indeed, it's an astonishingly assured opus 1. Dutilleux's music never fails to captivate me with its nocturnal, fantastical atmospheres.

springrite

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 27, 2020, 07:30:26 PM

Dutilleux is not a prolific composer. Every work he puts out is a gem. No duds.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.